Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Hey Daphne! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Okay, I adore Ellen [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]. I watch her show as often as I can manage, and it really seems like she does care quite a bit about fans opinions. Now, none of the cast have actually been on the show to do promotion or anything though have they? I don't really know what the connection between Tarzan and Ellen is but, hey, it's worth an shot! ..lol..

*Edited to add... Aww! I just checked out her What’s on your mind? page and her little messege is SO cute! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Writing to her about Tarzan might actually have an effect after all! Thanks muchly Daphne! [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img] Sorry for doubting you! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

Ne-fehr-ious - I'm so glad your brain got the better of you! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And well, I like to think not that we are a part of a group that will make a difference but, in fact, that we are part of a group that are making a difference [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Ooh! And I would love it if you shared your letter with us as well! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by IceKat055

It's not looking good at the WB, folks. So maybe our postcard efforts/campaign would be better targeted at UPN.
Contact info:
United Paramount Network
11800 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: 310-575-7000
Fax: 310-575-7220

Dawn Ostroff - President, UPN Entertainment
Laurie Zaks - SVP, Current Programs
Maggie Murphy - SVP, Drama Development

UPN affiliate page: ]http://www.upn.com/affiliates/

[ 11-16-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 11-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ~*Ambrosia*~:
Ne-fehr-ious - I'm so glad your brain got the better of you! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And well, I like to think not that we are a part of a group that will make a difference but, in fact, that we are part of a group that is making a difference [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Ooh! And I would love it if you shared your letter with us as well! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
QUOTE]

Luckily, I lurked back here tonight.Here's what I managed to fit on a 4x6 card:

Each fall, I await the new shows in hopes of finding ones that say something to me. Even after years of early cancellations of many shows I love, I optimistically tune in, still hoping that a well done show could survive on its merits. This year, among the shows to which I chose to give my time and attention was Tarzan. I was skeptical at first, but Travis Fimmel is wonderful as Tarzan. His subtle, nuanced performance engages my mind, and truly evokes the spirit of an ape, and the little boy long separated from what we call "civilization". I was so taken by Tarzan that I started looking on the internet for more information, only to find that my new guilty pleasure
is in jeopardy. I felt deflated by the news that yet another show I got hooked on could soon disappear. I wasn't going to write this time, but I can't sit back and let others continue the fight for a show I have taken to my heart. Very few shows find an instant audience, but that doesn't mean the audience won't come. Please give more people the opportunity to find Tarzan. You have a few million of us hooked - don't discount a small loyal fanbase that may be undercounted by current methods used to derive ratings. If on-line reaction is any gauge by which to judge, you've just thrown a rock into a hornet's nest. Please don't let Tarzan be another good show that wasn't allowed the time to find it's place.

Sincerely,

I had a shorter version too, but this one said things the way I really wanted them.

The most unfair thing - if this show doesn't continue, we don't get to hear his accent slip, and I love to hear accents.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Isn't that the cutest? I think that if ENOUGH people e-mailed Ellen, she'd say something about it. How could she not?

I don't have work tomorrow - so I have planned to get a big ol' stack of post cards all set to ship out to WB on Monday morning.

Stay strong guys!

*Daf

[Lois/Clark] [Michael/Sara] [Veronica/Logan] [Sydney/Vaughn] [Jack/Kate] [Alex/Izzy] [Chase/Cameron] [Kimber/Christian] [Phoebe/Cole]

[Journal] [Angel-Rays] [Operation Piggy Bank]
[Team Addison]
Old 11-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think telling Ellen about this is a great idea. So I told her about it. Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I will ALWAYS choose you.
Remember, you'll wait for me here, right?
Old 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

I sent Ellen an e-mail as well. Hopefully she'll say something.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

I just sent Ellen an extremely long email. I really hope these efforts pay off.

anna
Old 11-19-2003, 01:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Ne-fehr-ious - Such a beautifully written letter [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]. I feel embarrassed now for all the ridiculous ramblings I've sent to them! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img].

Daphne - I passed on your idea (giving you credit of course) to the other messege boards and forums dedicated to the show and people have really taken to it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Kudos again for such a great idea! And thanks so much to all those taking the time to participate! [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img]

[ 11-19-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 11-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Extreme Fan

LATEST NEWS...

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Tarzan ad in newspaper - Natasha Tal from the tarzantheseries forums has taken the initiative to put out an ad for the show/campaign in the Burbank newspaper. That is the local paper for all the WB executives so they will be sure to see it. (It's also helps that Natasha is sending 10+ copies of it directly to their offices! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) Anyway, the ad is costing her $400 to print, so, as you can imagine, if you'd like to maybe help out with that it would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you are interested and I will "hook ya up" with the info you need.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Kimmel mentions Tarzan at AMA's - In Jimmy Kimmel's opening monologue at the American Music Awards he gave the guests and winners some advice which included this statement...

"Finally, this is a personal thing, no thanking god god does not watch television and if he d he would not be watching this show he would be watching Tarzan on The WB".

An obvious crack but, hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ..lol..

If you want to contact Kimmel about the campaign or hey, maybe even to give him thanks for the plug, sarcastic as it may have been [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img], click here.

Some interesting reads...

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] A wonderful essay (or as she calls it "little rant") on the show by Sep

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Network Execs Question Nielsen Accuracy

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] An encouraging article about fan campaigns that have succeeded in the past

And remember, for the latest news on the campaign, check out

Old 11-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Master Fan

Team Tarzan

PhntmGddsss from the WB board has started up a Yahoo! "Save Tarzan" group...feel free to join & spread the word!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/teamtarzan/

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Extreme Fan

Some promising news from Rafferty Rulz!!!
(as posted on the tarzantheseries forums)

Calling ALL Tarzan Fans! Calling ALL Tarzan Fans!!!

Hi yaz Peeps!

I've just got off the phone with The WB's Programming Dept. AND was told that "officially" Tarzan is on hiatus. AND a decision will be made as to its fate in a couple of weeks after its final airing.

Also. The WB is reading the Feedback messages very closely. AND if you're a fan whose affiliate pulled Tarzan from airing...Post a message! Tell them your affiliate's call letters AND tell them you want Tarzan to air this coming Sunday!!! I explained to the gentleman that we...the fans have been working our collective arses off to get the ratings higher...AND Tarzan being pulled from the schedule is defeating both our efforts. So. AGAIN. Post at the Feedback forum!!! I would also suggest that EVERYONE post at the Feedback forum! Be nice. *bg*

Also. No decision has been made on what will air in Tarzan's Sunday spot other than CA's special...possibily Charmed afterwards. I was told though not confirmed that after the new year repeats of Tarzan may air. Again. Nothing confirmed yet.

So let's keep the campaign going strong people!!

Give Feedback

For Love of Country

The End of the Beginning

The WB "Sweeps" Page

"What's The Coolest New Show" poll

Call the WB
Viewer Comment Line - 818-977-6878
Main WB office number - 818-977-5000
Laura Ziskin (Executive Producer) - 310-244-7373

Fax The WB Programming Department - 818-977-5015

Send MAIL to The WB

E-mail - faces@thewb.com

Snail mail (POSTCARDS only remember)

The WB Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg. 34R
Burbank, CA 91522
Mr. Jordan Levin, Co-CEO
Mr. John Litvack, EVP, Current Programming and Primetime Scheduling

Resources

- printable postcards

- E-cards to send BACK to The WB

Words o' Encouragement from the show and elsewhere...

"Jane: I couldn't let you leave like this... how could you give up? There's still hope. There are so many things we havn't tried."

"I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no whiteflag above my door
I'm in love [with Tarzan [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]] and always will be!
- Dido's "White Flag"

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" - Sofia (Vanilla Sky)

Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

Found several new email addresses for WB affiliate stations today - - I say we flood 'em!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

mailto:jmason@fox61.comjmason@fox61.com</A>
mailto:mjfrog@utahswb30.commjfrog@utahswb30.com</A>
mailto:krrt@krrt.comkrrt@krrt.com</A>
mailto:banderson@wb20.combanderson@wb20.com</A>
mailto:mball@wb20.commball@wb20.com</A>
mailto:jking@wb20.comjking@wb20.com</A>
mailto:abenson@wb20.comabenson@wb20.com</A>
mailto:abakke@wb20.comabakke@wb20.com</A>
mailto:dmcnamara@wb20.comdmcnamara@wb20.com</A>
mailto:fbrucks@wb20.comfbrucks@wb20.com</A>
mailto:mikew@granitetv.commikew@granitetv.com</A>
mailto:clabrum@wb20.comclabrum@wb20.com</A>
mailto:michelle@wb20.commichelle@wb20.com</A>
mailto:askus@ktwbtv.comaskus@ktwbtv.com</A>
mailto:feedback@krem.comfeedback@krem.com</A>
mailto:djames@wb31.comdjames@wb31.com</A>
mailto:jyarbrough@wb31.comjyarbrough@wb31.com</A>
mailto:mhodorowski@wb31.commhodorowski@wb31.com</A>
mailto:mwalsh@wb31.commwalsh@wb31.com</A>
mailto:admin@wb11tv.comadmin@wb11tv.com</A>
mailto:whatson@wb11tv.comwhatson@wb11tv.com</A>
mailto:wb11news@wb11tv.comwb11news@wb11tv.com</A>
mailto:askus@tv5toledo.comaskus@tv5toledo.com</A>
mailto:jlee@kwba.comjlee@kwba.com</A>
mailto:soundoff@kwba.comsoundoff@kwba.com</A>
mailto:mavila@wb19.commavila@wb19.com</A>
mailto:cdawson@wb19.comcdawson@wb19.com</A>
mailto:kkinder@wb19.comkkinder@wb19.com</A>
mailto:nmacario@wb19.comnmacario@wb19.com</A>
mailto:dbeuligmann@wbki.tvdbeuligmann@wbki.tv</A>
mailto:mjjaspan@wbki.tvmjjaspan@wbki.tv</A>
mailto:thebuzz@wbki.tvthebuzz@wbki.tv</A>
mailto:sgenosky@wbkansas.comsgenosky@wbkansas.com</A>
mailto:jcadman@pgtv.comjcadman@pgtv.com</A>
mailto:wnoltv@tribune.comwnoltv@tribune.com</A>
mailto:comments@wtvz33.comcomments@wtvz33.com</A>
mailto:programming@wtvz33.comprogramming@wtvz33.com</A>
mailto:deanrichards@wgnradio.comdeanrichards@wgnradio.com</A>
mailto:wb33news@tribune.comwb33news@tribune.com</A>
mailto:wb2programming@wb2.comwb2programming@wb2.com</A>
mailto:jbaldwin@kwbq.comjbaldwin@kwbq.com</A>
mailto:jluellen@kwbq.comjluellen@kwbq.com</A>
mailto:webmaster@foxbaltimore.comwebmaster@foxbaltimore.com</A>
mailto:questions@wb32tv.comquestions@wb32tv.com</A>
mailto:programming@kocb34.comprogramming@kocb34.com</A>
mailto:programming@wb18.comprogramming@wb18.com</A>
mailto:wb18wkcf@wb18.comwb18wkcf@wb18.com</A>
mailto:jsoapes@wb18.comjsoapes@wb18.com</A>
mailto:wb17feedback@tribune.comwb17feedback@tribune.com</A>
mailto:patw@ourmaine.compatw@ourmaine.com</A>
mailto:dholland@pgtv.comdholland@pgtv.com</A>
mailto:agagne@pgtv.comagagne@pgtv.com</A>

[ 11-22-2003: Message edited IceKat055 ]

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Extreme Fan

VERY interesting article from The Hollywood Reporter - Nov. 21, 2003

(courtesy of Rafferty Rulz [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img] )

* please note that they talk about the ceasing of production NOT cancellation.

WB, UPN hunt for lost men
By Scott Collins

On the WB Network this season, "Tarzan" featured the blond ape-man chasing down bad guys in the big city - barefoot, of course. But he never quite cracked the mystery that continues to bedevil the WB, that of the disappearing young man.

While the apparent defection of young male viewers from broadcast TV this season worries executives at every network, the trend has been especially brutal on the WB and its rival UPN, both of which have lower median ages and target a younger demographic than ABC, CBS or NBC. As a result, both the WB and UPN have lost more than one-fifth of their core 18-34 audience so far this fall, with the Time Warner-owned WB plunging 24% compared with the same period last year, according to Nielsen Media Research. By comparison, ABC, CBS and NBC are down 5%-12% in their key 18-49 demo; Fox is up 11%, mainly because of unusually strong postseason baseball this year.

The problem is bad enough that the WB and UPN executives are now joining their larger counterparts in blaming ratings service Nielsen for what they say are faulty statistics that make the audience erosion appear worse than it actually is. Both networks said they are continuing discussions with Nielsen about discrepancies in the research. (Nielsen is owned by VNU, parent company of The Hollywood Reporter.)

"It's a bit confusing," said WB co-CEO Jordan Levin, who argues that strong results for the network in the top 25 TV markets contradict the downbeat trends shown by Nielsen's national sample. "We're trying to figure out all these numbers."

David Poltrack, research chief at CBS and UPN, said that Nielsen may be inaccurately counting some men in the 18-34 category, like those whose viewing habits at college are not measured. "I think that in the case of UPN and the WB, they are getting hit harder on the male side," Poltrack said.

Not surprisingly, these arguments are getting a skeptical hearing in the advertising community, which can use the ratings declines to drive lower rates - or at least stem increases - at spring's upfront buying season. Media buyers said the networks have simply done a poor job creating shows that appeal to young men. Indeed, "Tarzan" has already ceased production, and such freshman series as the WB comedy "All About the Andersons" and UPN's drama "Jake 2.0" have failed to do much business.

"What's going on with young men is a programming issue more than anything else," said Steve Sternberg, senior vp at Magna Global USA in New York. Sternberg points out that both the WB and UPN have loaded up on female-skewing comedies and not generated any breakout freshman hits this season. Young women also seem to be fleeing the networks, he said, though networks and the media have paid little attention to the issue. Besides, he said, the ratings issue is a red herring: "I don't hear anyone saying, 'What's going on with the Nielsen ratings?' when UPN goes from a 1.6 to a 1.9."

John Rash of Minneapolis ad firm Campbell Mithun said that the WB in particular tried too hard this season to copy past successes. " 'Tarzan' was derivative of 'Smallville,' just as 'One Tree Hill' was of 'Dawson's Creek,' " he added.

Whatever the cause, the ratings are bad enough to crimp profits at the WB and add to the gush of red ink at Viacom-owned UPN, which has never turned an annual profit and has in the past lost an estimated $100 million a year, though network officials said that combining many operations with CBS in early 2002 has improved the balance sheet by reducing costs.

WB executives admitted that they will be forced to offer advertisers make-good spots for failing to meet overall ratings guarantees this season but emphasized that the sales department withheld more than enough inventory for such a purpose. Sources said the network, which logged a small annual profit for the first time last year, expects to earn about $10 million for fiscal 2003, a smaller sum than executives expected earlier this year. The WB collected about $775 million in the ad upfront this year, while UPN grossed an estimated $225 million, sources said.

The ratings issue is "not going to push us back to being an unprofitable network, but it's certainly impacting the degree to which we're profitable," Levin said.

Kagan World Media estimates that in EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes and depreciation) terms, UPN will lose $27 million for 2003, compared with a $65 million loss the previous year. The WB will log $70 million in EBITDA for 2003, up from $40 million last year, according to Kagan.

Network executives have been caught off-guard by the severity of the ratings slide. The WB picked "Tarzan" as this year's signature drama, shelling out an estimated $4 million for an elaborate ad campaign, including hard-to-miss billboards of star Travis Fimmel, a pouty male model, in Times Square and other key urban locations. The outlay was similar to what the network spent promoting the past debuts of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Felicity," "Dawson's Creek," "Smallville" and "Everwood," all of which became hits.

So WB executives were stunned when the Oct. 5 "Tarzan" premiere swung right into a tree. The program earned a 2.2 rating/6 share in 18-34, far below the premiere figures for "Felicity" (3.3/10) and "Smallville" (4.6/12).

Sources said that postpremiere, the network's top managers were somewhat divided over the show's potential. WB co-chairman Garth Ancier was very disappointed by the poor debut numbers, but Levin favored giving "Tarzan" plenty of time to rope an audience.

The latter position was supported by some big-market affiliates, who reported that "Tarzan" was doing far better on their stations than the national ratings would suggest. "In Dallas, it was a big hit," said Joe Young, vp and general manager at KDAF-TV in Dallas and regional vp at Tribune Broadcasting, which partners with Time Warner in the WB. "Was Travis Fimmel a great actor? No. But he was serviceable enough for the show, and it had great production values. I thought 'Tarzan' had all the elements."

In the end, the decision came down to money. Levin said as more episodes aired, "Tarzan's" national ratings were simply too low to justify the show's license fee to Warner Bros. Television, estimated at $1.1 million per episode (shot in Canada, the show cost slightly less than $2 million per episode to produce, sources said). A total of eight episodes were produced.

" 'Tarzan' wasn't a disaster, but with a high-concept show like that, you've got to see something really pop or it's a sign (viewers are) just not buying into the concept," Levin said.

The WB and UPN are now hoping that the worst is behind them. UPN is pointing to the continued strength of its Monday comedy lineup as well as renewed ratings vigor for Thursday's "WWE SmackDown!" The WB, meanwhile, earlier this week announced an overhaul of its struggling Thursday and Friday schedules, which executives hope will deliver better results for "Andersons" as well as the sophomore sitcom "What I Like About You."

Yet the mysterious disappearance of young viewers this season has all network executives rattled and uncertain of the future. When asked about the ratings woes afflicting the WB this season, one exec at a Big Four network barked, "Welcome to the club."

[ 11-22-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 11-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Passionate Fan

Great articles and suggestions everybody! I wrote some feedback at the wb.com Tarzan board and I just finished emailing Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel, and all of those email addy's listed above. My hand is kind of numb after all of that. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give to you forever.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

Birds of Prey got canned last year, now I hope that Tarzan won't end up the same fate as Birds of Prey. People lets help save this show.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Greaso:
<STRONG>Birds of Prey got canned last year, now I hope that Tarzan won't end up the same fate as Birds of Prey. People lets help save this show.</STRONG>
You know, I still have the last two hours of Birds of Prey on tape, and I haven't had the heart to watch them, and officially put the show to bed for me. I have so many "cling" episodes - you know, the last few of a beloved show you can't let go of.

I just finished episode number 8 of Tarzan. It was good, but to paraphrase another show, "this wasn't the way I wanted to say goodbye(Tarzan)". The parting shot of him peeling off his shoes and leaving them behind could be thought of as indicative of how the show would precede if allowed to.

I've had an odd thought concerning what could be, for a possible future. Considering the age at which he was lost, and assuming that since he's been back in New York, Tarzan has been either locked up by Richard or fending for himself on the street, I doubt he's had a girlfriend before. Unless they would go the inter-species way, that would make Tarzan a virgin. Should they have gotten together, that scene would have been quite interesting. If the show doesn't continue, I might have to write that scene just for myself. I've got stuff in my head that I'd love to see brought to life. Hope I didn't offend anyone, it's just been in the back of my head for a while. It's not like Tarzan was brought up around all the images of sex, or magazine quizzes of what girls want that invade modern life. Would natural impulses be enough for him to know what he's doing? I've given this show way too much thought, I think. It's late, I'll go wash out my dirty mind now.