Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

News & Politics - Sensitive Topics Inside Such as: domestic & sexual abuse, rape, violence, etc...#1:

Trigger Warning - This thread contains topics that may be seen as troubling or upsetting.

Topics within this thread contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Sensitive Thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the darker sides of the news, that includes any kind of violence, sexual crimes, death, abuse, kidnapping etc..... The lighter side of the news should be posted here News & Politics Lite When in doubt if a topic falls in a certain category, just post it in here and a Moderater can move it if necessary.

Please be patient with us, this is a work in progress and this opening post may be tweaked a bit more in the coming days.

Thank you,

Kali, Mandie & Lars

Last edited by Sunrise at Midnight; 06-21-2015 at 06:54 AM
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann357 (View Post)
The sorrow and trouble for these victims just continues...

Boko Haram victim: I'll keep my captor's baby - CNN.com
Since there's obvious violence and abuse in this subject, I figured I had better address it on this thread.

(And thank you, mods, for the new thread. )

I think the really maddening thing about the whole Boko Haram situation is that we were on the verge of taking it seriously.

But we don't hear anything about it anymore.

Instead, it's all Daesh all the time time.

We've dropped the ball.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

I had no idea that had been happening at all. I've never heard about it until you guys posted the links.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned

Man receives sex act while blacked out, gets accused of sexual assault

Man gets raped, and then is punished for being a victim.

Court gives frozen embryos to Chicago woman over ex-boyfriend's objection

Here we have the court basically saying that a man can be forced to become a father based on an oral agreement with an ex girlfriend.

Does anyone know of a case in the US were a woman was forced to become a mother based on an oral agreement with an ex? Especially if it was his last chance to become a father?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject (View Post)
Does anyone know of a case in the US were a woman was forced to become a mother based on an oral agreement with an ex? Especially if it was his last chance to become a father?
What do you mean "last chance" to become a father? Charlie Chaplin had kids into his 80s. And if it's impossible genetically, there's always adoption.

To answer your larger conspiracy theory of men having it always worse than women, no matter the topic is, you mean beside Nick Loeb, right?

Sofia Vergara's Ex Nick Loeb Allowed to File New Complaint in Court

Except that, in this instance, they had more than a verbal contract. They had a written contract saying neither could use the embryos without the other's written consent. He doesn't seem to think the contract was valid and, apparently, he's found judges who agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise at Midnight (View Post)
I had no idea that had been happening at all. I've never heard about it until you guys posted the links.
Boko Haram has fallen off the radar. There was that campaign "Bring Back Our Girls" about a year ago, but even that... most of the girls were never heard of again and, while we were busy having a social media campaign, Boko Haram just continued kidnapping more.

I really thought we might be making headway when that campaigned happened.

I thought for sure we'd finally reached the day where we wouldn't need there to be oil or U.S. interests in a place for us all to get involved.

But, no.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
What do you mean "last chance" to become a father? Charlie Chaplin had kids into his 80s. And if it's impossible genetically, there's always adoption.
I mean if it is the man's last chance to have a biological child because he for some reason can no longer have children of his own.

They basically awarded the woman custody of the embryos because it was her last chance to have her own biological children.

Quote:
To answer your larger conspiracy theory of men having it always worse than women, no matter the topic is
Will you stop saying that! I never once said that no matter the topic men have it worse.

Men tend to have it worse when it comes to cases like sexual assault, rape, child support, and reproductive rights to name a few. There are still plenty of issues where women have it worse than men.

Quote:
Except that, in this instance, they had more than a verbal contract. They had a written contract saying neither could use the embryos without the other's written consent. He doesn't seem to think the contract was valid and, apparently, he's found judges who agree.
If he wins custody of those embryos and she is forced to become a mother against her will I will be right back here defending her. You should not be able to force anyone to become a parent if they do not want to.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I assume they both willingly donated the embryos or sperm, and knew that might entail eventually becoming a parent. Sounds like some of those embryos should have been designated for each donor. Although I believe there are costs associated with storing the embryos, so if one of them decided to opt out of paying those fees, the other should have the right to pay the full cost to keep all the embryos viable.

Thanks for getting this started Kali. Having designated threads should be helpful to people who don't care to read about certain subjects.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

What happens to embryos when they're in an sort of "in between" place seems difficult to summarize in any easy principle that would apply all the time.

Over the years, we've had dead soldier's sperm harvested so their widows could have more children, dead people's sperm used to give their surviving parents grandchildren, women seeking to "adopt" unwanted embryos in order to avoid having them be "murdered" by termination, states seeking to give zygotes personhood status before the law....

And, of course, here in Canada we had the landmark case of Tremblay v Daigle in which a man tried to get an injuction to force his ex to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

Honestly, I think the "leftover" embryos after a couple separate are a very difficult thing to consider. Children tie people together, or at least they should. I'm not entirely sure I could understand allowing those "leftover" embryos to be used, even to allow someone their "last chance" at becoming a parent. But, then again, this is why I'm not sure it'l possible to come up with one rule that would apply all the time.

Different circumstances must be given due consideration.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Meanwhile, Boko Haram are being blamed for today's suicide bombings in Chad:

Chad suicide attacks kill many in N'Djamena

It looks to me like this is either Boko Haram trying to expand their territory or, you know, find a territory they can control. Or it's the Chad government trying to blame an organization they could perhaps beat.

Until someone actually claims responsibility, assuming anyone does, it's impossible to know for sure.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to post this here because it is a bit disturbing. They were interviewing one of the people who provided initial aid tonight on the TV news. Thankfully both victims got help quickly.

N.C. shark attack 911 calls: 'His arm is gone!'
Old 06-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hopefully they both have a speedy recovery, right?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hopefully they both have a speedy recovery, right?
Yes. I'm always surprised when this type of thing happens in such shallow water.

Another sad story:

Fatal balcony collapse turns into Irish national tragedy - CBS News
Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann357 (View Post)
I'm going to post this here because it is a bit disturbing. They were interviewing one of the people who provided initial aid tonight on the TV news. Thankfully both victims got help quickly.

N.C. shark attack 911 calls: 'His arm is gone!'
Must not click, damn you selachophobia. Good to hear they're alright though.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Selachphobia? I've never heard of that before. I gotta look it up. Eta - oh...fear of sharks. Odd I live around the ocean and have never heard that. That is something you'd think would be more we'll known in my area.

The balcony collapse is so sad.

There was another shark incident today - this one was minor, the boy was treated on scene an released.

Boy bitten by shark in Daytona Beach

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

irrational fear of sharks. Like really irrational as I don't have any anywhere near me. But the anything in the form of it, or the thought of it freaks me out, could give me panic attacks. It's annoying as fook, as i find them quite fascinating species. But i can't look at pictures, video games, even teddy bears so.