Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

News & Politics Lite | The Lighter Side of News & Politics #9

While this is the Lighter side of the news, it should be noted that some topics within this thread could contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Lite thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the lighter side of the news such as political cartoons, presidential campaigns, advances in science & technology....etc. The darker side of the news should be posted here News & Politics | Sensitive Topics this thread is clearly labeled so those who may be upset by certain topics can avoid them.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYoullBe (View Post)
They won't be extradited for sure. Still, it's nice to hear more facts, and to have what we all knew (and I suspect the whole world knew) come out.

POTUS is going to have a terrible weekend while golfing. That makes me happy.
I would say that "at least, there can be no doubt about the Russian interference now." But then we all know that the GOP only sees what it wants to see.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True. It's a hoax, and a witch hunt, don't you know. Plus, apparently, they believe it means he's totally vindicated, and all of his minions believe that, too.

He, and the GOP, ignored that every intelligence agency in the US found election meddling by the Russians. I believe 17 agencies. His team today came out and said "Oh, I guess they were right. There was Russian meddling."

If anyone cared, the Russia sanctions would be enforced, he wouldn't be secretly meeting with Russians in the WH (one of whom isn't allowed in the US because of sanctions), and he'd make a statement about it.

I guess Fox and Friends hasn't instructed him to do any of that.

Kim
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Trump launches into Twitter tirade triggered by Russia probe

Quote:
Venting his fury over the Russia investigation, President Donald Trump on Sunday asserted that the Obama administration bears some blame for the election meddling, insisted he never denied that the Kremlin interfered in the 2016 U.S. campaign and said "they are laughing their asses off in Moscow."

In a rapid-fire series of tweets from his Palm Beach estate, the president unloaded over the Russia investigation, days after an indictment from special counsel Robert Mueller charged 13 Russians with a plot to interfere in the U.S. presidential election.
Bannon is in contempt of court for refusing to answer the questions put to him by Mueller, but it's all Obama's fault.

Look, what do I know? Maybe the Obama administration didn't do something it ought to have done to stymy Russian interference in U.S. elections. That's entirely possible. But to suggest that this is what they were after? The cognitive dissonance is incredible.

The fact that he's lying about never having denied Russian interference goes without saying.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bannon is a cooperating witness with Mueller. He is in contempt with the Senate investigation and questioning. With them he only answered questions approved by POTUS.

Everything is Obams's fault or Hillary's fault, or the Democrats fault.

From what I've read, Obama went to the Senate, and Mitch McConnel told him to shut his mouth, and blocked him from giving the warning. Whether Obama could have pushed through that, I don't know.

POTUS went on the meltdown tirade being pumped up and supported by his sons, who were in the room egging him on, according to a CNN reporter who was there.

His own tweets show he's a hypocritical liar, which is all he does. His tweets are no doubt legally going to be held against him in the Meuller investigation.

ETA-it's President's Day here, and all I can think is "I wish we had one".

Here is some good news, about stopping some gerrymandering. at least in Pennsylvania. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a1d0e12c1287

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 02-19-2018 at 04:44 PM
Old 02-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

A lot of states are looking to fix the gerrymandering, which is awesome. Next, they need to look into their electoral biases that prevent minority voters from having their voices heard. But, you're right, it's all good news as far as I'm concerned.

Another bit of good news: Police arrest 5 who killed orangutan in Borneo with air gun I mean, it's no easy, because they claim it was to protect their crops, but orangutans are endangered, so...

And this isn't good news per se, but it amused me when I saw it on the news this morning before going to work: Pacific cruise liner brawl sends guests fleeing to cabins Twenty-three members of the same family (apparently all in their teens or twenties) spent three days attacking fellow passengers, before being kicked off the ship. Now, you have to wonder what took so long for the ship's captain to act...

But... I still think it's kinda hilarious. Like, why would you bother spending that much money (because, last I checked, cruises aren't cheap) just to go around picking fights and spreading mayhem?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nothing annoys me more than discrimination against minorities being able to vote.

Also, many states are moving towards paper ballots, which I think would make a big difference.

It does make no sense. I guess it makes sense in their minds.

Trump India 'dinner and chat' property offer criticised - BBC News This kills me, given that it's only to discuss trump properties. It is ridiculous to send a child of a president being in the first place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43090356 Apparently it's disappointing to a lot of people that the two aren't a couple.

Kim
Old 02-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not at all shocked to see the Trump sons trying to leverage their father's job for business opportunities. That was the whole point of him running. Heck, their whole business is about leveraging that name. It's not like any of them are great businessmen. They just have a recognizable name and they know how to use that.

Tessa Moir and Scott Virtue disappoint the whole world every four years by not having a romantic relationship. What can you do, though? They've skated together for 20+ years. If they didn't have chemistry when they started, you'd hope it had grown by now or they'd have learned to fake it.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Thanks for starting the thread.

What to expect from Mitt Romney Senate run -

Apparently he's making nice with Trump. 1 of my favorite quotes from Mitt Romney was when I think he was talking about Trump's foreign policy & said Trump's ''very very not smart.''

As well as ''Here's what I know. Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University.''

Plus the ''Half of his supporters are in a basket of deplorables.'' OK. That last 1 I joke. Someone else said that 1.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I completely agree with all of that, Sunny. They're also using their name to get people to invest in their businesses, promising them meetings with POTUS, and favors from him being POTUS.

I didn't know who the skaters were, but yeah, after all those years, you'd expect it to grow. That's a long time to be skating together.

Yeah, POTUS has also said what a wonderful person Romney is, and that Romney has his full support.

Kim
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought Mitt Romney had recently dinged POTUS? Like, dinged him last week is how recent I'm talking about. Now w they're buddies? That was fast. Those crazy Republicans. Always changing their minds...

And in case anyone had lingering doubts about the level of trust one should have in the U.S. administration at present: Trump-Russia: New charges for Paul Manafort and Rick Gates

Quote:
Thursday's 32-count indictment alleges that Mr Manafort and Mr Gates conspired to hide more than $30m (£22m) in Mr Manafort's personal income from tax officials.

It also claims that Mr Gates concealed more than $3m of his own income.
So it's still "just" fiscal fraud and such. But that gives you a measure of how much trust I'd put in them, as a non-rich person, to have my best interest at heart when making policy, you know?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, they change their minds fast when it serves their interest. I think they are eternally confused.

What's also interesting about those indictments, is that they were actually during the transition of POTUS, and during his reign, so, it's landing right on his doorstep. No doubt Mueller is tightening the screws to get them to flip on trump.

That tells me the corruption will be much deeper, and that Mueller already knows much more than he's putting out there.

Kim
Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Oh Manafort. Well he does say he's innocent & he is at least until proven guilty I guess. Have you been watching CPAC this week? I can't get into it. The NRA people just annoy the heck out of me with their speaking plus add Trump & it's too much for me. There were some with all due respect crazy things said though at that event, which got turned into a freaking Trump rally in all purposes with Trump going after Clinton & the media.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I watched the end of the trump speech, Pure rally, plus an advertisement for the NRA.

At this point, I've decided to watch what they do, not what they say. They have passed many laws destroying gun control, and loosening up background checks, as well as purging thousands of background checks from the records. So, that tells me they're doing worse, not better.

Kim
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think that's wise, Kim, to watch what they do and not what they say. Too many politicians are either compromised by their relationship with the NRA or they move on too quickly after such a tragedy and nothing ever changes.

I'm reading a book on feminism in the 21st century right now and the author made a point that I think applies here. She says that it's not that people (politicians, business leaders, bankers, doctors, etc.) don't care about women; it's that, when push comes to shove, they care about other things more.

And I believe that's the problem people trying to tackle the issue of gun control face. It's not that people don't care about the death rate in the United States. It's that, at the end of the day, they care about other things more. By which I mean re-election. Because they can obviously care about road works, immigration and the economy all at the same time, so adding another issue isn't a problem.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread