Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Support him & have power such as members of the U.S. Senate. On a light note, it was kinda funny seeing members of the Clemson football team that just won the NCAA title at the White House eating food from McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. Apparently the team loved it.

I did see the news on Brexit today. What a waste of time that seems to be, but I don't live there & it's probably pretty complicated. What confuses me is that I think people successfully voted for England to leave the E.U., but that is not going to happen I'd guess. What do you think about it or do you even care? I am somewhat interested, but it's just not something I need to hear about all the time.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

They weren't voting on whether or not they're leaving the EU. Article 50 was triggered, like, two years ago. They will be leaving the EU, whether they want to or not. And plenty of people seem to have woken up to how incredibly terrible that's going to be for the country. (I refer you to the article on the lost contracts I posted last week.)

No, they were voting on whether to approve the deal Prime Minister May had prepared. Because it's bad enough that they're leaving the EU. It would have been marginally better for them if they had managed to hammer out an agreement with the EU as to how they will proceed forward.

Given the interconnected nature of not just our economies, but also our diplomatic relationships, I'm not sure that the fact that it won't affect you directly is a good reason not to even care to find out more. I mean, I know the U.S. media doesn't have a whole lot of international news, so it must be hard to find adequate information. But, to put it bluntly, we all could have done without another victory for Vladimir Putin.

U.K. PM May's government faces no-confidence vote after huge Brexit defeat I'm not sure why they even bother. No one agrees with Brexit, granted, but no one wants to be the one in charge when it goes into effect either. So why bother wasting everyone's time with these no-confidence motions?

Israel police investigate 'sex-for-judgeships' allegations How low can the judicial system go in Israel? I'm assuming this wasn't a widespread practice, but it's pretty despicable that their solution to the lack of parity was to demand sex for advancement!

William Barr: 'I will not be bullied,' Trump nominee says Here's the thing. Either way, he won't last long. They never do, do they? Even if he's a total Trump yes-man, there will come a time when POTUS will tire of him, and he'll be gone.

El Chapo 'paid $100m bribe to former Mexican president Peña Nieto' At this point, I don't think anyone will be shocked to hear that, will they? Mexican government is corrupt, who knew?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 PM

So you think Brexit is still going to happen no matter what? At this point I'd perhaps resign if I was P.M. I don't know exactly what would be the worst that could happen if May did that.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Brexit is unprecedented, so I'd be hard-pressed to say with certainty that there's no way to avoid it happening. But Article 50 has been triggered. Meaning the EU will kick the UK out, whether the UK decides to change its mind or not.

Now, it would be in the EU's advantage to keep the UK in. To avoid the massive logistical headaches its departure will cause. To mitigate the huge economic crisis that is also bound to happen. To preserve some semblance of unity in the face of the far-right's re-emergence in politics.

But... it's been two years, or just about. Nothing's stopped it so far and it's meant to come into effect at the end of March, so I don't see how anything will stop it at this point. I mean, the suggestion now is that the actual Queen should step in. Only she can't. Because the only way the monarchy has survived is to stay the heck out of politics.

And every single person who campaigned for Brexit has resigned. Not just the Prime Minister (that was David Cameron), but other significant players like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage. They all cut and run. I don't like Theresa May much, but as far as I can see, she's staying in out of some weird sense of responsibilty where she wants to try and make things go right. Only they can't. I mean, I'm sure part of it is that her whole political career will have been geared towards the highest office, so she's there now. But, seriously, it does seem like she's at least trying to find a way for it to suck marginally less for the British once Brexit does come into effect.

Of course, as soon as that happens, you just know Scotland will go for another referendum, and the last one was close, so who knows how that one will turn out. And they have all those military and nuclear installations England doesn't want to part with. Not to mention almost 500 years of "unity."

It's a mess.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Trump says he’s canceling Pelosi’s foreign trip a day after she asked him to delay his State of the Union speech

Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) on Jan. 17 criticized the president, who cancelled an overseas congressional oversight trip. (Joyce Koh/The Washington Post)
By John Wagner and
Erica Werner
January 17 at 4:08 PM

President Trump told House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday that he was postponing an unannounced trip of hers to Afghanistan and Brussels because of the federal government shutdown, apparent retaliation following Pelosi’s suggestion Wednesday that Trump delay his State of the Union address.

“In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure that you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate,” Trump wrote in a letter to Pelosi (D-Calif.) released by the White House.

Pelosi and other lawamkers were planning to leave for Afghanistan on Thursday afternoon, a trip that would include a required stop in Brussels for pilot rest, her spokesman Drew Hammill wrote on Twitter. He said there was no plan to stop in Egypt, contrary to how Trump described the trip in his letter.

In Brussels the group was to meet with top NATO commanders and military leaders “to affirm the United States’ ironclad commitment to the NATO alliance,” Hammill wrote.

“The purpose of the trip was to express appreciation & thanks to our men & women in uniform for their service & dedication, & to obtain critical national security & intelligence briefings from those on the front lines,” Hammill continued. He noted Trump himself had traveled to Iraq shortly after the shutdown began.

Trump’s letter came a day after Pelosi wrote to the president suggesting he postpone his Jan. 29 State of the Union address if the partial government shutdown doesn’t end this week, citing security concerns because of Secret Service and other personnel who are going unpaid during the shutdown.
Trump blames Pelosi and 'fringe' Democrats for shutdown

On the 27th day of the government shutdown over building the border wall, President Trump blamed "radical Democrats" for wanting open borders. (The Washington Post)

[Pelosi asks Trump to postpone State of the Union address because of shutdown — or deliver it in writing]

Trump has yet to respond to Pelosi’s suggestion on the State of the Union. But his decision to unilaterally cancel a trip Pelosi planned to make along with other lawmakers to visit U.S. troops overseas underscored increasing acrimony between the two most powerful politicians in Washington, just weeks after Democrats took control of the House and Pelosi regained the speakership.

Trump didn’t explain what authority he has to cancel Pelosi’s trip, but it probably would require the use of military aircraft controlled by his administration. He said Pelosi could fly commercial if she chose. Trump characterized the trip as a “seven-day excursion.”

Pelosi was to have been joined on the trip by other lawmakers including Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.)

The president and congressional Democrats remain at an impasse over his request for $5.7 billion in funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Trump had pledged the wall would be paid for by Mexico.
Pelosi requests 'mutually agreeable date' for Trump's State of the Union

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Jan. 17 cited unpaid federal security workers as the reason to delay the State of the Union address. (Reuters)

Democrats are refusing to go beyond the current $1.3 billion annual level for border barriers and fences, a stalemate that has shuttered large parts of the government since Dec. 22. The funding lapse, which entered its 27th day Thursday, is the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

“I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown,” Trump wrote in his letter to Pelosi.

“I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive attention, funding and security it so desperately deserves,” he added.

Trump’s move drew a rebuke from one of his own allies, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.).

“One sophomoric response does not deserve another. Speaker Pelosi’s threat to cancel the State of the Union is very irresponsible and blatantly political,” Graham wrote. “President Trump denying Speaker Pelosi military travel to visit our troops in Afghanistan, our allies in Egypt and NATO is also inappropriate. “

Trump is so petty. Jesus. Plus he's a hypocrite as he flew to Iraq during this same shutdown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.8a10a4c2cf06
Old 01-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Trump is petty? Who knew?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Trump is petty? Who knew?
Worst.President.Ever.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-18-2019, 03:17 PM

What makes it worse is that he's petty at times that he shouldn't be. In fact what he did endangers troops, security & other officials that were in support of this trip. Pelosi canceled her trip after her office learned that administration officials tried to leak the congressional delegation's commercial flight plans through reporters.

Anyway, here's some more big news today:

Trump hits back at Buzzfeed report he 'instructed lawyer to lie'

US President Donald Trump has hit back over a news report that he directed his then personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, to lie to Congress.

Buzzfeed News said Mr Trump had instructed Cohen to lie about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow. Cohen was convicted over the case last month.

Mr Trump said the lawyer was lying about the Moscow project to "reduce his jail time".

Democratic politicians say they will investigate the Buzzfeed allegations.
What does the report say?

Buzzfeed says its report is based on testimony from two unnamed law enforcement officials investigating the matter.

The story alleges Mr Trump received 10 personal updates from Cohen about a plan to build the Moscow tower at a time when Mr Trump denied having any business ties to Russia.

Trump's tower in Moscow that never was
All you need to know about Trump Russia story
Seven legal headaches for the president

Mr Trump's daughter, Ivanka, and son, Donald Jnr, were also updated, the story alleges.

Special counsel Robert Mueller, who is conducting a federal investigation into alleged Russian interference in the US presidential election and whether Trump campaign figures were complicit, has already revealed that Cohen lied about the date the Moscow Trump Tower project ended.

Cohen told Congress talks over the plan had taken place between September 2015 and January 2016 but criminal complaint documents say they lasted until June.

Cohen said the plan had been halted earlier in an attempt to "minimise links between the Moscow Project and Individual 1" during the election campaign. Individual 1 has previously been identified by Cohen as Mr Trump.

Buzzfeed says Cohen has told investigators that Mr Trump "personally instructed him to lie" about the date negotiations ended "in order to obscure Trump's involvement"

The Trump-Russia saga in 250 words
Who's who in the drama to end all dramas?
Five big things Mueller is looking at

The report said Mr Mueller had other evidence, including from interviews with other Trump organisation staff and internal company emails, to corroborate Cohen's version of events.

The report also says Mr Trump allegedly encouraged Cohen to plan a trip to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin during the election campaign.

Cohen was sentenced to 36 months in December after he pleaded guilty to lying to Congress over the Trump Tower plan. He also admitted campaign finance violations and tax evasion.

In court he said his "weakness was a blind loyalty to Donald Trump" - whose "dirty deeds" he had felt compelled to cover up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46915909

Now I can see why Trump wanted his tax returns kept out of public viewing.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Administrator

What gets me is how blindly the Trump supporters will support whatever he does and how they'll vilify anyone who doesn't support him. It's really disheartening.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
What gets me is how blindly the Trump supporters will support whatever he does and how they'll vilify anyone who doesn't support him. It's really disheartening.

i totally agree. the Orange Faced One is really putting a hurt on the gov't contractors at my company, they are on their first missed paycheck now and had two previous paydays with reduced hours. this is now the longest shutdown in US history and even may effect us private contractors in the very near future, when gov't contract processors are not there to issue checks, conduct audits and safety inspections, and take bids for future jobs. all of us rely on the gov't cow at some point. *sighs*

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

He's using corporate tactics (a lockout) on government work.

And I'm with Jerry. Not that we didn't know already, but this whole experience has shed some scary light not just on how incompetent he is as any kind of a leader, but it's also revealed a whole segment of society that seems to miss the days of the KKK or somthing... like, that's how unhinged that crowd comes off.

And I don't say that just because I fundamentally disagree with everything the man seems to stand for, but because none of it makes sense. So how can you support that?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
He's using corporate tactics (a lockout) on government work.

And I'm with Jerry. Not that we didn't know already, but this whole experience has shed some scary light not just on how incompetent he is as any kind of a leader, but it's also revealed a whole segment of society that seems to miss the days of the KKK or somthing... like, that's how unhinged that crowd comes off.

And I don't say that just because I fundamentally disagree with everything the man seems to stand for, but because none of it makes sense. So how can you support that?
Hi Sunny!

I'm on Facebook and I have friends on both sides of the political spectrum and some of my right wing friends blindly support Trump and post really hateful things about any and all of the Democrats. I never post about politics over there and I this is the only place I'll post about politics (here and the Everwood board).

I think that Trump is a disgrace and he's made the United States the laughingstock of the world, and I can't believe that anyone would support him and I still can't believe that he got elected.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi Jerry.

You know I always welcome and enjoy your input on any topic on this thread. I happen to personally enjoy politics more than anything (except maybe literature and history) as a discussion topic, but I always enjoy your insights.

And the thing is, you can't have the kind of passion I have for politics without welcoming and appreciating differences of opinion. First of all, you can't have a conversation when everyone's saying the same thing. Also, but just as importantly, you can't learn if all you hear is your own opinion being mirrored back to you.

So there are any number of topics on which I fundamentally disagree with the GOP. It'll never make me want to ignore their point of view.

I just don't understand support for this particular president because it's not really a difference of opinion. It's that, to me, he doesn't make sense. It's tantamount to Jonathan Swift's satyre proposing that a solution to the potato blight in Ireland could have been solved if only the Irish had eaten their own children. As a satyre, it's funny, but you would never believe someone actually pursuing it as a matter of policy. Yet we have a president who puts babies in cages in the name of protecting families/the economy?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

UK and May...crazy
Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Jerry.

You know I always welcome and enjoy your input on any topic on this thread. I happen to personally enjoy politics more than anything (except maybe literature and history) as a discussion topic, but I always enjoy your insights.

And the thing is, you can't have the kind of passion I have for politics without welcoming and appreciating differences of opinion. First of all, you can't have a conversation when everyone's saying the same thing. Also, but just as importantly, you can't learn if all you hear is your own opinion being mirrored back to you.

So there are any number of topics on which I fundamentally disagree with the GOP. It'll never make me want to ignore their point of view.

I just don't understand support for this particular president because it's not really a difference of opinion. It's that, to me, he doesn't make sense. It's tantamount to Jonathan Swift's satyre proposing that a solution to the potato blight in Ireland could have been solved if only the Irish had eaten their own children. As a satyre, it's funny, but you would never believe someone actually pursuing it as a matter of policy. Yet we have a president who puts babies in cages in the name of protecting families/the economy?
Hi Sunny. Thanks! I also welcome differing points of view. I just find it difficult to believe that anyone would support Trump, but if they do, I'm not going to dismiss their point of view or no longer consider them to be my friend. I'd much rather discuss politics here than on Facebook though.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread