Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Thanks for that news. Trump certainly has his work cut out for him dealing with the D.P.R.K. I didn't know of that Canadian story. I did come across some significant Greyhound news this week:

Greyhound to cut bus service for western Canada

Wow. I have never used Greyhound, but know it's been around a long time & it's too bad the ridership in so many Canadian cities & towns is so far down. Disappointing news.

'Do you need medication?' NJ congresswoman shouts at FBI hearing

Well, it was out of bounds bringing up Peter Strzok's wife, but good for that congresswoman standing up to Gohmert. I think that hearing really showed the House Republicans true side & it wasn't pretty. Unfortunate this is how our congress acts.

So what else stands out about the your Conservative government to you? I haven't done my homework on it just yet.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

What do you want to know about the Conservatives? It's a wide topic, and my personal values and beliefs run pretty differently to theirs, so I don't want to let the bias run amock, you know?

Meanwhile, the UK has apparently just figured out that Donald Trump says one thing one day and its complete opposite the next, with no hint that he ever said anything different. Donald Trump: US-UK trade deal 'absolutely possible'

But, lest we start thinking political corruption only occurs in North America: Australia handed out millions in aid contracts to company accused of bribery

The boys have been freed from the cave in Thailand, but what we didn't realize is that another "miracle" might be coming their way: Thai cave rescue: coach and stateless boys may be made citizens
Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM

I just meant like what type of differences it has compared to the Conservative Party here in the U.S. & if there's anyone that stands out like Rand Paul for example who is a strong conservative & he pretty much votes ''no'' on everything in our senate. For Example this week he along with Senator Mike Lee from Utah were the only 2 Senators of 99 in the U.S. Senate since Jon McCain hasn't returned yet to vote ''No'' on a non-binding notion supporting NATO. Rand Paul Tweeted that he supports Trump's stance on NATO.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

I see.

Well, the Conservatives don't really have a libertarian bent up here. They do talk about streamlining government and small government being better, etc. But that just means they cut off funding to science, health and education.

The thing to bear in mind, too, is that we had a Conservative party that "died" at the federal level in the 1990s because they failed to elect representatives to parliament. So, what was that Conservative Party merged with the Reform Party from out west in the Prairies and that resulting party took the name of Conservative Party.

Before that, the Conservatives were pretty much interchangeable with the Liberals. Centre-right all over the place.

This new Conservative Party leans very much to the right. They talk about the need to balance the federal budget by cutting funding to social services and infrastructure, but then they'll go to any war the U.S. starts (mind you, all the parties do that), use taxpayer funds to pay for their own lavish lifestyles, etc. They are generally anti-abortion, but ten years in power and they didn't dare touch the laws on that.

The main thing I remember, though, was the ways in which they were extra-secretive. They would do stuff and not "let" the media know, so that none of us knew what was going on. And they would prorogue parliament all the time, which is "illegal" here in Canada. I found this article on proroguing from the good old days of the Harper government to explain what the heck that is: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2008/12/...rliament-mean/
Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

was great to see so many European flags at the anti-trump protest in Edinburgh today

Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

They're also protesting at Trump's Scotland (is that the same area as Edinburgh?[/b] golf course, while he's out there playing golf. He's sad, when in England, he said he feels "unwelcome", so I have to ask, why does he feel welcome here. He also walked in front of the Queen, which is a huge no-no.

That is awesome about the Thai boys, and team leader, possibly being made citizens. I didn't realize they weren't.

Thanks for explaining some about the Conservatives there, Sunny.

Kim
Old 07-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a great photo, Rita. I'm glad to see the EU flags there.

Yes Kim, Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.

He feels unwelcome because he is unwelcome.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Speaking of flags, what do you think about England's with the St. George cross on it? Some are saying it is offensive. I wonder if people think it's more offensive than the Rebel flag or ''Confederate'' flag that people have & some in particularly southeastern U.S. states. I particularly like England's flag.

I forgot to mention yesterday about the Papa John's news. So much has been going on & it slipped my mind. Here is that story: Papa John's founder now says he was PRESSURED into saying the n-word |

This is strange. He was doing role-playing about racism ironically & used the ''n'' word. Wow. I don't even remember ever eating Papa John's pizza before. Maybe some of you are fans of it. Of note, the University of Louisville has removed the ''Papa John's'' name from it's stadium. Schnatter also stated that Col. Sanders called black people that same n word & never publicly apologized for it or was condemned. Odd story. I forgive him though.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't know that. Why are they saying it's offensive? There's always a lot of those flags around during the World Cup. I'm not offended by it, but I'd never choose to use it as I feel my identity is British, rather than English. I've lived in England my whole life and was born here, but my Dad is Welsh and my grandfather is Scottish so I don't see myself as one thing.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I don't understand why it would be offensive? Is it because a cross is a religious symbol and as such it shouldn't have any room in modern life?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah... I'm not sure what's offensive about it either and am looking forward to hearing about that.

Donald Trump: European Union is a foe on trade Not that it's a shocker, but clearly POTUS is not a fan of history. Otherwise, he'd stop making himself look stupid by saying things like that.

Or like that: Trump criticises Obama over US 2016 election hack. I mean, even if his fixation with anything Obama hadn't been made crystal clear a million times over since he took office, you'd think that, if Trump was in any way bothered by the hacking... he wouldn't be meeting with Putin right afterwards. Or, at least, he'd bring it up.

But, whatever.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't understand why that flag would be offensive, either. Someone let us know.

I'm having trouble admiring our flag right now.

As for Trump, he's in his meeting with Putin right now. 90 minutes. Wouldn't want to discuss treason out in the open, yet, I guess. Even though it's happening right in front of the world's faces. Trump only understands money, so, unless history gave him some, he has no use for it.

All I can say is the hacking, well, he is POTUS now, and it's his responsibility to fight it. Instead, he's cut all funding towards it, and gotten rid of most of the people in charge of it. There has not been a single step towards fighting it. As for Obama, Mitch McConnell, the traitor, wouldn't let it even come to the floor to a vote as to whether to tell America or not. Not saying if that makes it different, it just is what it is.

ETA-well, we knew he was a treasonous b*tch, but he just did it, in front of the entire world. The thing that scares me most, is no one will hold him accountable. Really...taking Russia's side against over a dozen US intelligence agencies, that is definitely selling your country out.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 07-16-2018 at 10:19 AM
Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Well some have said flying that flag has been seen has offensive & racist to non English people. Some say it's a racist flag because of how it's been ''adopted by the far-right''. There are lots of videos of people on You Tube or 1 in particular person bitching about it.

I missed Trump & Putin's summit today, though watched on the news that Trump was apparently disgraceful again. I know what he calls a ''disgrace'' is different than what many other perhaps saner people call a ''disgrace''. For example it's disgraceful to me that Trump used time today to still complain about Hilary Clinton & her emails. Nobody can tell this guy to move past that though apparently.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ah, well, if it's just one YouTube rando, that would explain a lot. I mean, people will believe anything and I'm sure there's one person out there for every whackadoodle concept I've never even heard of.

'Disgraceful': Republicans, Democrats react to Trump-Putin press conference

So, aside from Rand Paul who thinks it's the rest of the world who has it wrong, it seems most U.S. politicians agree that it's incredibly weak sauce of any sitting U.S. president to side with an autocrat over the U.S. intelligence community and the U.S. military.

But I don't think POTUS realizes he was betraying his troops in asserting that there's nothing fishy about Russia's involvement in U.S. elections (even as more arrests were made and indictements laid down stateside). Because he doesn't understand that calling your own people liars is problematic. Becaues he's a sociopath.

And I don't use that term lightly. I don't think he's a murderous-type of sociopath. I just think he's completely incapable of human emotion, empathy or any other quality one usually associates with the human condition. This is all a big ego trip for him, and his strongest supporters are going to wind up paying the price, only they'll somehow blame Democrats, immigrants or gay people for it.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Did anyone watch the Peter Strzok appearance before congress? I was so amazed by how long it was and how I am six hours deep in it now. It is incredible how this has all come down.
I think he was very well spoken. I really wish he hadn't used his work phone for texting. I think the whole thing is a waste of time. I think there is a real disconnect in America right now with what is important and what is inflammatory.

Goodlatte saying “What does Trump support smell like, Mr. Strzok? - Is there anyone more unlikable than this man? I mean I understand that the Republicans are promoting a narrative - but who is really buying into this? Why aren't people more upset by the obvious Russian involvement in the election? Even if things went your way, why would anyone be okay with a foreign entity having that control?
Emily
Closed Thread   Post New Thread