Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

News & Politics Lite | The Lighter Side of News & Politics #10

While this is the Lighter side of the news, it should be noted that some topics within this thread could contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Lite thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the lighter side of the news such as political cartoons, presidential campaigns, advances in science & technology....etc. The darker side of the news should be posted here News & Politics | Sensitive Topics this thread is clearly labeled so those who may be upset by certain topics can avoid them.

Thanks.

Kim
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)

Are any of you watching this Trump/Kim summit? I'm passing on seeing it & will checkout what happened when I get home & watch the news. Reportedly human rights abuses will not be brought up by Trump in this meeting, which I guess is not surprising.
I answered the part about the Summit on the other news thread.

I don't think it was any mistake that Fox made. I think that's what they're all hoping for-their master to become a dictator. It's clear that's his agenda.

As for Net Neutrality, yes, Virginia is on the list of those who are suing. Surprisingly, NC now is, too.

Sunny, I really, really hope this gets Canada to become more able to create, and distribute, things for themselves. If good things for other can countries can come out of all of this, I'm for it.

Yeah, I'm guessing at some point in the future You Tube will not be allowed here. It's going to all start slowly, and sneakily, and then end in a free fall.

So, California voting to be split into 3 states made the November ballot. I don't know what to think of this. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44471277 I do know they need to research very carefully before they vote on this one. Of course, that's how we ended up with VA. and West VA.

Italy and France's Prime Ministers' meeting has been postponed, as well as the meeting with their 2 leaders later in the week due to Italy being insulted by France's comments about their handling of the migrant ship. So, not meetings until apologies. Is this a right wing thing now? You disagree with them and they throw a tantrum? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44465152

I know this may seem a ridiculous story, but millions of us watched online as a raccoon climbed a skyscraper. It was photographed on a window ledge, early in the day, around the 17th floor, and had hundreds of thousands of people watching it unfold (including me). Around 5am (I think) it made it to the roof, where they had food traps set up, and today the video has been released of her being set free, and running through the grass, after being medically cleared. A small victory, that united the US, which, we needed. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44465587

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 06-13-2018 at 01:30 PM
Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

It wasn't a mistake. Calling it a meeting of two dictators was more like a Freudian slip than a mistake.

So can someone enlighten me as to why California wants to split itself threeways? Because West Virginia was a result of the secession of Virginia from the Union and what became West Virginia didn't want to leave the Union... I'm guessing what's going on in California has a bit less to do with slavery... Although, I suppose I could be wrong there.

I don't know if having a really thin skin is a right-wing thing now (all evidence points to "yes"), but it's certainly part of this whole "strong man" thing that appeals to some segment of the population these days. I guess the Italian leader didn't appreciate France's leaders scolding him for refusing entry to a ship of 629 refugees (including hundreds of unaccompanied minors and a couple dozen pregnant women).

Of course, Sicily saw the Italian leader throwing a fit about Italian sovereignty and decided to flip the proverbial bird to Rome by allowing a ship to dock in its port, which contained 937 refugees.

I'm glad to hear that raccoon is okay. This morning on the news, she had made it to the roof, but hadn't been seen since.

Meanwhile, the GOP has found itself another stellar candidate: Nevada pimp Dennis Hof wins GOP primary, ousts incumbent
Old 06-13-2018, 05:15 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Interesting. It has been a crazy week. I did see some that Dennis Rodman interview from that Chris Cuomo did on CNN. Apparently Obama didn't give Rodman the light of day when he told him that the Koreans wanted to talk. Susan Rice said that the Koreans would make commitments & then break them at every turn & they weren't serious about talks until after they had perfected their nuclear program.

Also, so some did I saw on the news have an issue with the U.S. & D.P.R.K. flags being side by side at the summit this week. I don't think it was a big deal. Trump did make the odd statement of about the D.P.R.K. that was: ''As an example they have great beaches. You see that whenever they are exploding their cannons into the ocean.I said boy, look at that. Wouldn't that make a great condo? And I explain, you know, instead of doing that, you could have the best hotels in the world right there.'' Holy cow.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Trump and his cronies pretending like no one's ever thought that denuclearization in North Korea wouldn't suck would be funny, if it didn't also reveal the truly astonishing depths of his ignorance and/or self-delusion.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sorry, but several American flags mixing in a row with North Korean flags, is hugely offensive to me. Also, after the way Trump treats our troops, he saluted a North Korean soldier, Kim's right hand man in imprisoning their citizens.

No idea why California wants to split itself up. You are right about the Virginia/West Virginia separation. It is a Silicon Valley billionaire who kept pushing this to get on the ballot, for 6 years, and this time, he succeeded. ...okay, supposedly it's to make smaller governments to deal with infrastructure fairly. Oddly, they want the richest part of the state, Silicon Valley, and surrounding elite areas, to be a state of it's own. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e447503c7aaa

So, the New York Attorney General (the office that Schneiderman resigned from-for abuse to women) the new female AG, and their offices, are filing suit against the Trump properties, for various mishandled money deals. Millions of dollars worth. They are suing Donald, Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric Trump, for it. Misusing foundations money-for their own benefit is the main suit. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e447503c7aaa

Trump is already on Twitter, smearing the "hyper-partisan" AG. His minions are doing the same. They're also saying there was conspiracy by the Deep State, to distract from the Inspector General's report coming out today-which they believe contains 30,000 sealed indictments, against the entire Clinton campaign, the Clintons and everyone their associated with, and Obama, for abuses of office, and for trying to set Trump up. Seriously, I don't care who's indicted, if they committed provable crimes, they should pay for those crimes. Either way, it doesn't excuse Trump and his mobsters.

They've already said that Comey, while improper, was not partisan in the email investigation. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44488351

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said she spoke with her Mexican counterpart over the weekend, and that all three countries agree that they can keep working towards a deal on a modernized NAFTA, despite the upcoming Mexican general election. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/free...mmer-1.3973390

Kim
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Well Californians have debated for a long time about whether to split up or not. In 1941 a group of secessionists along the Oregon southern border & Northern California border proposed creating a new state called ''Jefferson'' that was then changed to ''the Yureka Rebellion'', but was first dismissed as a publicity stunt. In 2013 there was an idea to carve the state into 6 parts.This time it just will make it onto a ballot apparently. Though I don't think it will pass right at this time.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sort of in between the two of you on the flag issue. They're just flags. But, at the same time, symbols are important. And I seriously don't mind any POTUS trying to work for peace, obviously. But this isn't a real attempt. It's all showboating. So it does feel like the United States is legitimatizing the repressive and murderous North Korean regime for no good reason here. So the flags may be a minor issue, in the grand scheme of things, but they're a symbol of the whole problem....

I think you might have answered my question about California splitting up, Kim. Part of it must be about rich people wanting to keep their dollars for themselves. There's probably the Californian equivalent of the Florida Panhandle somewhere in there (by which I mean an enclave of rich, older folk, who lean more Conservative than their "neighbours"). I could be wrong, but, if I'm not, that wouldn't suprise me.

I am so shocked. So shocked, I tell you. To hear that the Trump Foundation may not be a legitimate charity organization.[/sarcasm] Honestly, I thought this had already been resolved two years ago. That's the only part of that story that I find surprising. Donald Trump was still running for the GOP ticket when started hearing about all the irregularities (like "selling" a portrait of himself to raise funds and that portrait winding up in his own offices.) I mean, just last week, we found out Ivanka and her husband made $80+ million dollars last year, using their jobs to push forward their private business interests. This is not a crowd that has a very strong sense of ethics. We knew this.

Freeland is a recent "discovery" for me. She's got a big business background and, as I've mentioned, I'm not someone who feels like business and politics should mix too much. So I haven't paid too much attention to her. But the last few weeks have been a revelation on that front. It's pretty awesome to hear a grown-up addressing trade relationship with between countries. Of course, with her insistence on a "rules-based" approach, she'll have to realize sooner or later that she's barking up the wrong tree.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Nearly 3 in 4 Americans Say Economy Has Improved Under Trump
https://www.theepochtimes.com/nearly...p_2558479.html

President Celebrates 500 Days in Office, Points to Long List of Achievements
https://www.theepochtimes.com/presid...s_2549291.html

Fewest People on Food Stamps in Nearly a Decade
https://www.theepochtimes.com/fewest...e_2561239.html

Last edited by Future husband of Kelly.; 06-14-2018 at 11:53 PM
Old 06-15-2018, 05:28 PM

It's great that Trump got along apparently with Kim in Singapore, but his disastrous policies to some are more important than what he calls ''achievements''. I mean rolling back environmental regulations to most I'd guess is not a freaking achievement. But that's what the E.P.A. & Scott Pruitt are doing & I'd guess their supporters like him doing it for some reason as with all his scandals he's still at the White House. Then there's of course the unusual investigation into the Trump campaign going on & also if he committed obstruction of justice. Again those are not ''achievements'' to most & are rare to even happen during a presidency. He also had a press conference or something like it today where Trump answered questions from reporters just lied about what is in the I.G. report from yesterday. He's also blaming Democrats for his family separation policy. If the policy is so great though, then I'd guess he'd want to take credit for thinking of the idea to separate children from their parents.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sunny, I don't think you are wrong, about Florida, or California. Though, California is more left leaning. Makes me wonder if it's really obvious gerrymandering.

Freeland is warning Trump that they will set up tariffs to hurt his administration, not the American people. Also, they are using the Magnitsky Law. https://www.pluralist.com/posts/1167...m_medium=share
Quote:
The Justice for Victims of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act, also known as the Magnitsky law, would allow Ottowa (to impose travel bans and asset freezes on foreign leaders. Regina-Lewvan MP Erin Weir proposed the measure during a Question Period with Freeland earlier this week. Weir noted that the law might be particularly useful because Trump has "made himself vulnerable" by maintaining personal business interests.
Aside from the temporary tax breaks, he's done nothing. Nothing that will help America any way. He tells lies, and grabs numbers out of thin air. As for the fewest people on Food Stamps, that's because they're kicking them off, by lowering the amount of money you can make to be able to receive them.

I said above the way he praised Kim. Today he said people sit up straight for Kim (you know. cause he jails you if you don't) and that he thinks "his people" should do the same. Of course he now says it was a joke, but, no, that's an idea he's floating so he can see if he gets away with it.

Gah, somebody else post some links, Other than Canada considering tariffs against this administration, I can't deal with any more news tonight.

Kim
Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

It would make more sense to me to target the administration than the people of the United States... but I doubt we'll go there. Part of Canadian policy seems to always be about making sure we're not pissing off our neighbours to the south.

Of course, dollars to doughnuts, if we don't "target" the regular U.S. consumers, pepole are going to think we're going easy on the United States, since their sanctions are targeted at workers here. It's a mess.

So, you want a story that's not about the U.S.? How's this? Clarinetist gets $350K award over ex's 'reprehensible betrayal' in deleting prestigious scholarship offer He's doing okay now. He's got a job with a good orchestra and he's still studying his craft. And, of course, the courts agree with him that what his then-girlfriend did was pretty evil. Like, I can't even imagine what would lead a person to do such a thing.

Russia denies access to jailed Ukraine film-maker Sentsov Next time Trump praises Russia, remember that they've denied a jailed filmmaker whose on a hunger strike access to representation. Because the filmmaker is in there on charges of terrorism.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Darn Canada! I seriously wish they would stand up to us. I agree-it's a big mess. It's leading to global economy trouble. How can a single person (well, not held in check by the people who are supposed to hold him in check) can truly destabalize the entire world. Well, along with whoever is giving him orders and backing him.

Just...wow. That clarinetist, his ex was just selfish, and I want to say "evil", but that's not the word I'm looking for. That poor man, and all he lost. I'm sure he is where he is supposed to be in his life, now, but she damaged him, a lot. I am happy they figured out it was her, and that this all came out. Go Judge! Adding and extra $50,000 to the judgment. He'll probably never see a penny of it, which is sad.

He doesn't sound like much of a terrorist, based on what the article says. They beat him for hours, and then claimed he did it himself because he's "keen on S&M"? Really? Somehow, I'm not surprised by any of this. How dare he speak out against injustices.

Kim
Old 06-16-2018, 02:27 PM

You kinda answered your own question, though I don't know if Trump has destabilized then entire world just yet, but how he's doing it is because the political party he's leader of doesn't usually hold him accountable for anything. Just look at Paul Ryan this week. Ryan apparently didn't or doesn't even know about what Scott Pruitt has been doing at the E.P.A. & his bizarre scandals. Things I'd guess will change if Democrats regain the House of Representatives in November though.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You are right. A do nothing House and Senate did this. Allowed this to get this far.

Ryan is useless. My cat knows about Pruitt's crimes.Though, they're calling for Ryan's ousting, since he wants a watered down immigration bill. They want Jim Jordan, (who is actually worse than Paul Ryan) as Speaker of the House, immediately.

I hope whatever they've sold their souls for was worth it.

Kim
Closed Thread   Post New Thread