Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't agree with anything that's going on at the U.S.-Mexican border right now. But you don't die of dehydration overnight. The problem with massive migration movements is that they're really, really, really hard on the body, and children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to feeling adverse effects. So I don't know that border patrol is responsible for the death of this particular child. Still doesn't make the way they're addressing this humanitarian crisis right, though. Not by a long shot.

I think what we're seeing in the Spanish law change is the effect of the MeToo movement, more or less. Women have made a lot of progress over the past century, but it often takes drastic quasi-violent events for people to realize the distance between what's on paper and what the reality is. And still, people have a hard time understanding it. As an example, I'm sure you'll have heard that it came out in a New York Times report that Eliza Dushku was awarded $9.5 million after she went through arbitration with CBS after she was let go from the show for reporting the star of the show for his frat-boy behaviour on set.

The $9.5 million figure was the amount she would have made working on the show over the four years of her contract with them, which they ended. Still, people seem to have trouble understanding that this was a lost-wages because of someone else's behaviour situation. There are still people who think she was given that money as, like, a reward for not being able to "handle" unacceptable comments.

So, that Yemen ceasefire lasted, what, barely 48 hours? Firing in Hudaydah raises fears for new truce Saudi Arabia needs to be stopped.

And, while we're at it, Russia needs to be stopped also: Belarus' leader slams Russian talk of taking over his nation We literally did nothing when they annexed Crimea, so I guess they think they can annex a whole country.

French hunt for possible accomplices of Strasbourg attacker Obviously, you can't wish what happened in Stasbourg on anyone. Ever. I just have a deep admiration for the way the French government, police corps and army have handled the aftermath. This is how you react when some loser wants to make himself a part of history.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think the border patrol is responsible long term. However, they didn't do anything to help her before the crisis point. She needed care, and they didn't give her any.

No, I didn't know that about Eliza. I didn't know anything about a show she was in, or going to be in. I am generally seriously out of touch. Wow. That's sickening that people believe that she wasn't capable of tolerating his bad behavior. I've found, though, that 9 times out of 10 is women who think other women should just tolerate that behavior from a man.

Then Senate still isn't actually doing anything towards stopping our helping Saudi Arabia. They know Trump will also keep helping them, because they have the dirt on him and his crime family. Our association is no longer acceptable. Not that it ever was, but, you are right, they need to be stopped now.

I'm not shocked the we have said one word to Putin about this too. Trump may as well stand up to both Russia and Saudi Arabia now. He's going down, either way, eventually. More dirt is only slightly likely for his base to turn on him.

I mean, WTH? I get that both countries are powerful, and offer a lot, but, this has got to stop. Taking another country? What's next? The entire continent?

It's impressive how the French have dealt with this. They had rounded up a few of his associates before they caught him. "Totally opportunistic" is the perfect phrase for the monster.

Kim
Old 12-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

More facts are coming out about that little girl who died at the border: Child's death highlights communication barriers on border If everyone was talking in a second language, it could certainly have made communication more complicated, but I would hope some border officers speak Q'eqchi', because that's not really a "minority" language in Latin America. Or, if it is, it's like saying Spanish is a minority language in the United States. Sure, not everyone speaks Q'eqchi' in Latin America, but after the "main" languages of Spanish and Portuguese, Q'eqchi' has to be up there.

Japan explosion: dozens injured as blast destroys Sapporo restaurant It sounds like it was a gas explosion, which sounds a bit surreal to me. Like, when does a gas explosion take down a restaurant with people still inside it? It's just pretty terrible that children are among the injured. Not that it would be okay if the victims were just adults, but it's always somehow worse when children are affected.

China detains second Canadian citizen as Huawei row intensifies So, I vote next time the United States asks us to do anything, we just flip them the bird. I'm well aware that will never happen. But, seriously, if this is what it's like to be an ally of the United States... I'll pass.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree-things like that are always worse when children are in it.

Yeah, I'm going to send a letter to Trudeau saying he really needs to give the US the finger. I know, politics, but still.

Penny Marshall has died. https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/enter...ead/index.html She meant a lot to me, growing up, and her future contributions. It makes me especially sad.

A commission has found that the Zimbabwe army used unjustifiable force against opposition protestors, after the elections. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46614129 Yet, they also blamed some of the protestors for starting it.

In surprising news, the US has banned the sale of bump stocks. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46614001 I think it's just a distraction, but I don't care about the reasons, I just care that it's done. Not that people are going to actually turn them in, but at least it will be illegal to put more out on the street.

ETA Israel is telling the UN they need to take action, in regard to the Hezbollah 'attack tunnels'. Netanyahu says it's not just an act of aggression, but rather an act of war. I do see what they're saying-the want them all classified as a terrorist organization, and also to have sanctions put in place on Lebanon. I don't see how punishing all of Lebanon is going to help, but, I don't know much about these things. http://https://www.bbc.com/news/worl...-east-46618160

The US is pulling ground troops out of Syria, claiming IS is defeated. No, what the US is doing is pulling out so Russia can take over Syria. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46623617

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 12-19-2018 at 02:21 PM
Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sad to hear of Penny Marshall's passing, but again I am comforted by the knowledge that she had a long and happy life. She was able to pursue her professional goals to their fullest and she, by all accounts, had a rich private life filled with family and friends. So that's a comfort to me.

Zimbabwe has probably some tough times ahead. Yes, they got rid of Mugabe, at long freaking last, but usually when a dictator has controlled everything for that long, whomever replaces him is unlikely to be very different. I don't know if it's that they haven't had an alternative model or if it's that, now they're in power, they want to have access to all the priveleges the dictator denied them before... I don't know. But it's very rare that things go smoothly once you remove a dictator from power.

The bump-stop ban is obviously a good thing, but it's just something to appease the majority of Americans who want real gun control. It doesn't provide law enforcement with more ressources to prevent mass shooting events. It doesn't address the appalling lack of background checks or even the poor results a person actually doing a background check it likely to find. It doesn't make it harder for anyone who really doesn't need to be buying guns to buy guns legally.

Israel has a point. It's entitled to protecting its borders and Hezbollah is a problematic group at best. But, let's face it, it's calling on the UN to make Lebanon do whatever Israel wants it to do. And that's not really how foreign policy works. Than again, diplomacy isn't really high in this Israeli government's list of priorities.

The U.S. doesn't know what it's doing in Syria, so it might as well leave. It's a warzone, and absent real leadership, the only thing that's going to happen is that your men and women on the ground are going to be in danger for as long as they stay there. Of course, Trump isn't calling this what it is: a retreat. He says you've all "won" and defeated Daesh. The problem is, your allies don't seem to see the situation that way at all: Isis not defeated in Syria despite Trump claim, says UK But you can't really expect this POTUS to have real military understanding, can you?

But, hey, I've found a country where the response to drug addiction is even stupider than the U.S.'s practice to imprison people over it: Duterte's Philippines drug war death toll rises above 5,000 As the article will tell you, most of those people were killed by cops.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I would agree with you about pulling the troops out of Syria, except that they'd leave small groups of targets, I mean soldiers, there. Trump tweeted it. He didn't go through Congress, which he has to do. Also, the Pentagon knew, and still know, nothing about it. He tweeted it, all alone. I still think it was just so Russia can take over. The groups of target soldiers that would be left there-well, it shows he doesn't give a damn about the troops, or their lives. He wants it done in 30 days, which could never happen. It's all about him.

I hadn't really thought about the bump stocks, other than yay, and that no one would turn them in. You're so right-it doesn't provide money to help stop these events, or anything else.

OMG on the death toll due to Duarte. I knew it was high, but nowhere near that high. That is absolutely insane. It's always been clear he's a madman, but that is just so upsetting. He's using the police as his own death squad. Just...wow.

The Irish president has signed a bill legalizing abortion. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46638290 I'm really glad it worked out this way. Women should always have a safe way to have an abortion.

German airports are on high alert after 4 men were found to be spying on the airports. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46639182 I hope it's enough. It's great the saw them, and found out who 2 of them are, but still...how many others are involved? I can't imagine the ones who were doing the spying ware behind it. Maybe they are though.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 12-20-2018 at 01:08 PM
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

I honestly don't understand how you all handle your military policy. It'd be easy enough to blame Trump for his refusal to inform himself about his job, but military mismanagement is not unique to this administration. You all send in troops into places you have no understanding of, to pursue objectives no one is particularly clear on, and then sell them out when they come back broken physically or mentally. Not that Canada is doing that great on these issues. Far from it. But I guess we don't push our weight around as much so it feels not as bad?

It's past time common-sense abortion laws are passed in Ireland. Women have died because of the stupidity of only providing an abortion when the life of the mother is officially in danger. Because, when you reach that point, the mother's life is still hanging on by a thread, whether you abort or not.

Others are probably involved in any terrorism plot against German airports. But the four they've already arrest will likely lead them to those others. Also, the fact that these men have been arrested before they could do anything goes to show that the German intelligence community is on top of things. Because there will be other plots. There are always other plots. The point is to learn what we can to make sure we prevent them each time.

I know I don't need to make the argument for why we need to open borders to refugees and migrants on this board. But, just in case some people were still on the fence (ah!) about that; UN report finds women migrants in Libya often face gang rape And if it's happening in Libya, there is no reason to believe it's not happening everywhere else as well. Because refugees and migrants are powerless and vulnerable. That's the only reason you would leave your own, isn't it? And we, nations that have plenty of money and space, need to stop thumbing our noses at the need that's out there to protect these people.

Meanwhile, sometimes things "change": US passes first anti-lynching law after Senate vote Kind of hilarious seeing as murder was already a crime and that we're about 60 years too late for this particular wording to have any real-life meaning.

But, mostly, sometimes things stay the same: US bank 'sorry' for calling police on black man cashing pay cheque Because, you know, there are so many alternatives for someone looking to cash their paycheque, right? It's so suspicious that this guy went into a bank to do that. [/sarcasm] He provided two forms of ID and fingerprints and they still called the cops on him. For shame.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it's amazing they caught those terrorists in Germany. The fact that people know what to look for more now, and are actually paying attention and looking, makes me feel that they are safer there.

I think that women, especially women with children, honestly have no choice but to risk gang rape, just in a chance to get to safety. It's sickening. You know, I may hate things about where I live, but without the luck of where I was born, I hate to think of what I could have been born into.

Yeah, it's a little late. On the other hand, I think it's mostly symbolic, and kind of saying that what happened with lynchings, actually did happen, and have been acknowledged. Just my view, of course.

Wow...when Ruth Bader Ginsburg fell and broke her ribs, they discovered 2 malignant nodules. She had surgery on them. Both were successfully removed, and there is no other disease found there. Just wow. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46652345

The video of the murder of 2 female tourists, in Morocco, appears to be real. Then men in the video said it was for revenge on events in Syria. 13 men have been arrested. I'm not sure what to say on this one, because it seems outrageous to punish 2 innocent female tourists. I guess it's their way of making a point, and in that respect they got what they wanted-attention drawn to the cause. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46645348

Kim
Old 12-21-2018, 05:13 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)

China detains second Canadian citizen as Huawei row intensifies So, I vote next time the United States asks us to do anything, we just flip them the bird. I'm well aware that will never happen. But, seriously, if this is what it's like to be an ally of the United States... I'll pass.

I was reading yesterday's issue of The New York Times & a 3rd Canadian has been detained in China. Here's the story on that: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/w...-detained.html

Also here's some other news regarding the U.S. reviewing it's travel ban on the D.P.R.K.: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/w...el-ban-us.html
Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that news, Matt.

It's the second time RBG has had a clash with cancer. I hope she's okay. Selfishly, I want her to be happy and healthy under a Democrat comes back to the White House, but she's also an amazing woman for whom I have nothing but respect and admiration. So, you know, I just generally wish her well.

Those two hikers who were killed in Morocco... I do wonder what the point of those men was. I'm guessing it was something to do with modesty, xenophobia and sexism all wrapped into one. But, I gotta say, needing that many men to murder two women kinda shows them to be the cowards they truly are, doesn't it?

So, if you thought that Trump had decided to pull out of Syria on Putin's say-so, turns out he also obeys another dictator: Trump call with Turkish leader led to U.S. pullout from Syria I mean, Erdogan and Putin are in bed together, so it probably all comes out to the same thing. But isn't it nice to know that one lousy phone call with Erdogan was all it took for Trump to decide his generals don't know what they're talking about?

On the plus side: Supreme Court rejects Trump plea to enforce asylum ban I mean, of course, Kavanaugh sided with the POTUS ban, which just goes to show how deep his ability to be non-partisan truly goes. Fortunately, John Roberts sided with his better angels on this one and thousands of lives will be saved as a result.

And I know Muslim and Latin American are (for the most part anyway) seen differently in the United States, but stories like the one I'm about to post are why I wonder if refugees know what they're setting themselves up for when they make a run for the U.S. border: Viral video shows teen attack girl with hijab in U.S high school bathroom And I'm really talking about both sides here. Because it's not even a little bit acceptable that a girl should face such violence over wearing a hijab. Especially not in a school. But I'm not at all happier with hearing that the girl who was the attackers has been receiving threats after the video was posted online. Like, how messed up is it that violence is an actual go-to reaction when children are involved?

Thousands of Canadians have signed petitions to ban conversion therapy I'm ashamed to say that that horror show is still legal in Canada, though these two petitions hearten me. I hope that changes soon.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm shocked we'd review the travel ban on NK. Shocked I tell you. Much like we didn't put one on Saudi Arabia.

Trump aligns himself with dictators. He knows genuine leaders, with power, will never consider him an equal. What's hilarious is that the dictators are simply using him. That's all he does. Well, Israel and Saudi Arabia-are those dictators, or just the average leader who funds Trumps and Kushners?

Yeah, I appreciate John Roberts taking the right path. It is a huge help deal, and as you said, will save countless lives.

I think that great that Canadian citizens are trying to stop conversion therapy. Don't feel too ashamed by that-the US is trying to get it so it can be ordered.

A tsunami hit without warning in Indonesia Saturday night. It was dark, they had no idea it was coming, because they felt no earthquakes, and there was no warning. 281 are dead, over 1000 injured. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46667970 It's possible a 2nd one could happen, as the volcano is still erupting. You know, their year has been more than horrific. The spokesman of the National Disaster Management Agency said this
Quote:
He confirmed there was no tsunami advance warning system the night of the disaster, adding that because of lack of funds, vandalism to the buoys and technical faults there had been no operational tsunami warning system since 2012.
That is insane to me-in an area where these dangers happen semi-regularly.

I hadn't heard about this-11 coal miners in India are trapped, after the mine flooded. They're stepping up their efforts to rescue them. It's a "rat hole" mine, which is illegal in India. They are simply hoping they found an air pocket-they have no idea if they're alive. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46670140 Migrant laborers, of course, who are desperate to make money.

Kim
Old 12-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

With no warming, it's obvious that the tsunami would have killed so many in Indonesia. I agree with you. It's unacceptable that Indonesia, with its regular experience of such natural disasters, doesn't have a decent warning system. I would hope this latest tragedy encourages them to make a change in that regard... but I'm not sure if it's too much to hope.

Migrant workers are so vulnerable. It's a terrible thought that India may not be doing all it can to recover those miners since they're an expendible resource.

So, remember that rebel Dubai princess who'd "disappeared"? Well: Sheikha Latifa: Images of 'missing' Dubai princess released So these photos are supposed to prove that she's happy, free and where it is she wants to be. Of course, how are you going to date a picture? Well, I suppose the woman she's with in those pictures could contradict the timeline being presented for them... We'll see.

And I wonder why Erdogan was so keen on Trump pulling U.S. troops out of Syria: Turkey masses troops near Kurdish-held Syrian town Again, the situation of the Kurds is a tricky one. Just because they've been persecuted by Iraq and Turkey for generations, it doesn't mean that there aren't criminals or terrorists in their midsts. But so much for supporting the Kurds, huh?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm curious to see where that Dubai princess story ends up. I have trouble believing she's alive and well, and free.

Yeah, Turkey didn't waste any time. The Kurds are sure to have a few bad ones, just like every group and every country. Again I say, anything to harm our allies and align with dictators is how things are going to continue.

A Mexican governor, and her senator husband, have died in a helicopter crash. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46677061 I've become a total conspiracy theorist, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong, that this "unspecified failure" may truly be an accident, and that the investigation will be truthful. At any rate, I don't know how she fits in to the power in Mexico.

Indonesia's new tsunami warning system is supposed to be in place some time next year. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46680434

An Argentine woman who was abducted 32 years ago, has been found, freed, and returned to her family. Along with her 9 year old son. I am sure she loves him dearly, but, he may be a painful reminder. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46682664

So, Israel sent missiles into Syria's capital, and hit a weapons depot, though most of the missiles were intercepted. Israel, of course, says it intercepted a Syrian missile first. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46682666

Kevin Spacey has been charged with sexual assault of a "teen". He bought the 18 year old man alcohol when he was supposed to be 21 to drink, and then is accused of groping the man. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46675194 Don't get me wrong-absolutely ANY sexual assault is wrong, but the person running this country was accused by 19 women (one who was 13 when assaulted) and yet was still voted President. Just pointing out one is just as bad as another. I am glad Spacey will be held accountable, if found guilty. Until then, I have to believe the accuser. I'm disappointed though.

I do realize I'm doubting the truth to anything to do with any government right now. Forgive me if it drives you crazy.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 12-25-2018 at 08:33 PM
Old 12-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'd be suspicious of any one Mexican politician dying in an "accident," too. And when it's two? That's even more suspicious. On the other hand, and just to play devil's advocate here, maybe it was "unspecified" mechanical failure because they haven't had time to investigate yet and wanted to rule out human error in the public's mind?

After the year it's had, Indoniesia had better get a functional tsunami warning system working as soon as possible. Because things aren't going to get better any time soon.

That woman who's spent 32 years in captivity doesn't need a child to remember what she's gone through. I don't know how you go back to normal after that. Her whole life will have gone on without her. If anything, that child might prove to be a blessing to her. Here's a child who won't expect her to be anything other than what she is.

Kevin Spacey's got a dubious history of imposing himself on much-younger men. By which I mean boys and men who would be called jailbait in another circumstance. I believe the victims. It's a pattern with Spacey. It's like he couldn't deal with being gay and, so, plyed boys with alcohol to make it okay... Heck, maybe he's just a full-on pedophile.

Kim, you have every reason to doubt government right now: Guatemalan boy detained at border dies in US custody At a hospital, he was found to have a 103 fever, he was lethargic and vomitted. You know, here, they'll send you home with that high a fever, but with strict instructions to come back if things don't start improving in the next hours. So I don't know if this story is an endictment of the treatment of immigrants, of the U.S. health-care system or a combination of both.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They have a responsibility to take care of child prisoners. Knowing he was sick, they should have been on top of it. It was too late to take him to the hospital. I can only believe they don't care, or they're not paying attention to their jobs.

The Boston Marathon Bomber is appealing his conviction, and death penalty sentence. His lawyers said the jury had to be tainted, because of all the press coverage. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1OQ1F4 Why didn't they bring this up during the jury selection? or the trial?

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 12-27-2018 at 12:59 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread