Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the link about Florida gun laws. I'm hoping the governor will sign it, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. I really don't like that assault rifles weren't included in it, either. Or the guardian program. That means the AR-15's will still be readily available at gun shows. It's also not like kids don't get fake ID's often, if they really want them, for drinking, etc. It is a start.

Yeah, things like that very young child having access to guns? That shouldn't be happening. I mean, where are the parents?

It's frightening to me that Muslims are being attacked everywhere, just for being Muslim. It's happening in more and more places. They have no safe place to go. Buddhists no less. Oh, or course, Nationalists. I guess they're everywhere, and are making their movements everywhere-or, the stories are just getting out more. Nothing like attacking small towns, where people are less able to defend themselves, or count on officials.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...d-but-why-now/ I won't even count the ways this could go wrong. The US Government had no idea this was coming. There are reasons past Presidents haven't met with NK leaders. I'll just mention it's been rumored that it's a distraction to all of Trump's problems-given that Russia supplies NK with supplies, despite the sanctions against them. Just another side to think about.

Either way, there is no way any sitting POTUS who isn't informed, could be prepared in less than the 8 weeks this meeting is planned for.

Edit-that didn't last long (I wondered how fast they'd scramble out of it) https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lates...-politics.html

The Prime Minister of Slovakia is facing backlash from the news about the Slovakian journalists death https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/w...e=sectionfront

Gov. Scott is signing the bill in Florida. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...vernor-n854701

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 03-09-2018 at 06:04 PM
Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Trump rolls the dice on North Korea |

Pretty incredible if Trump & Kim Jong do meet with each other. No U.S. President met with Kim Il sung or Kim Jong-il during their reigns.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I posted about that they have now placed demands on NK before any meeting.

There are reasons no President has met with NK, and strong reasons. To let someone who understands nothing about governing, much less negotiation, would be insane.

There are no links yet, just AP reporting-the NRA has filed a federal lawsuit against Florida for the bill that passed today, raising the age from 18to 21 to purchase a gun.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 03-09-2018 at 06:25 PM
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Predictably: NRA sues as Florida enacts gun-control law According to this lawsuit, raising the age to buy a gun to the age of majority and imposing a three-day wait period is a violation of the constitution. I must be forgetting that part of the constitution that says people can't have common sense. This lousy bill does nothing for assault riffles. It doesn't ban any gun.

A whole lot of people are being attacked all over the world all the time. The thing about Muslims in certain Eastern countries is that they're minorities. That's why nationalists (yes, they're Buddhists, but Buddhism is not just meditation and "peace be with you" in that part of the world) feel they have the right to attack them. So it's about seeing how all minority groups seem to be vulnerable right now. Because that's also true nearer home.

Thanks for posting on Trump's "agreeing to meet with Kim Jung-Un," Kim. I love how they make it sound like North Korea's been begging for that meeting this whole time. Like Trump is doing them some big favour. Let's face it. Nothing's been done. Until it happens, there's every possibility that this nothing but empty words. And, of course, if it doesn't happen, it'll be the other guy's fault. Regardless of whether or not it was ever an actual agreement they'd made.

Concerning the shooting/hostage situation at the veterans home in California: California hostage-taker was former patient POTUS is deeply saddened by this event.

Last edited by sunnykerr; 03-11-2018 at 08:57 AM
Old 03-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Well if they don't meet then it would just be par for the course in U.S. history for it's Presidents & the Kims. If they do meet I wonder if Trump will ask Kim what it's like to have tanks driving down city streets for a parade, since that was apparently something President Trump wanted to do in D.C. Speaking of which: Trump's military parade set for Veterans' Day - BBC News
Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the link. Yes, they said over and over it's up to the states to set gun laws, not the federal government. Now that the states are starting to set laws, they're interfering. I'm pretty sure Scott signed the bill, knowing that this would be the NRA move. Though, the NRA hasn't filed in Washington state, which did the same thing. Yeah, apparently common sense can't play into any of this.

At his "rally" last night, Trump went on and on about building the wall, because of drugs coming into the country-killing children and tearing families apart-but didn't once mention that guns are doing the same thing. He did mention they NRA once, they're "very fine people". Being "saddened", as you posted, and "thoughts and prayers"...I just have no decent words to say about that.

You're right-they're nationalists. They've been there all along, but now they're feeling that it's okay to be outed, and known for the hate they are spreading. I wonder if the leaders and governments are just filled with them too? I can't think of any other reason they're not speaking up and protecting minorities.

The latest-Putin is wanting to host the meeting. As if Putin didn't set the whole thing up.

As for the parade, which I think is on the other thread, a lot of the military is saying "We're going to defer-related to their bone spurs."

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...emical-weapons So, we're willing to warn Syria about use of chemical weapons, but not willing to admit to any of the rumors they've heard, or say anything defenitively.

Kim
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

The NRA is probbaly suing Florida in part (a small part) because they thought they had the Governor under control and in part (a much, much larger part) because it's gotten a lot of attention on the gun-control issue. So there's more publicity in it for them if they sue in Florida. Either way, though, as you say, it's clear now they don't mean it when they say gun laws should be left to the states.

Trump's military parade falls a bit in with the NRA, I should think. Because I know from talking politics on for at least 10 years now that there are people who support the 2nd Amendment pretty much only because they want to be ready should the "government" (I'm unclear which level of government is the chief worry) ever become totalitarian. In other words, they see gun ownership as a way to protect themselves against the encroachment of government. So, with a military parade, Trump is certainly playing right into those people's fears, I should think.

I'm not entire sure why Putin feels the need to play coy about North Korea and the United States. It's been clear since the election that he and Trump have a "special" relationship. At least, inasmuch as Russia supports Trump, probably because they think they can sway him their way or control him in some way. Didn't Jared Kushner's security status get downgraded precisely because countries like Israel and Russia throught they could easily manipulate him? Seems to me like his father-in-law is more of the same.

You know, what's going on in Syria is more of the same of what happened in the former Yugoslavia. I mean, it's a genocide when the people being slaughtered share an ethnic background and I don't know enough to say for sure that this is the case here. But it's the same as with the Balkans inasmuch as we're all pussyfooting around what's really going on because we know that it's unconscionable and, apparently, we don't want to get involved. So if we use the real words, like "they're crossing a red effing line" or "genocide," then we have to act. But, if we don't... there's no moral obligation.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Trump said a lot of things last night at that ridiculous rally that was suppose to be for someone he was supporting, but of course he went ''off-script'' & said inappropriate things again. This time also about Maxine Waters. He can say what he wants, but it isn't funny how much of a disgrace our current President is.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

He's not alone in making fun of political adversaries instead of addressing their grievances (and I say that having no clue what he actually said about Ms Waters since I don't watch his propaganda soirees). It's become a really disappointing part of politics the world over. The better politicians avoid schoolyard techniques, but then I'm in no position to know if that comes with the rewards it should.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Here is all you need to know about Maxine Waters-a woman, intelligent. earned her position, is powerful, and is African American.

I've seen/heard that argument a lot about the 2nd amendment. That they have the right to have guns in case they need to form a militia in defense to the government. If that truly is the case, then the wrong people have the guns. It should be people like me, who are afraid that the 35% who support this government, will cause the 65% to need to defend ourselves. Trump won't get the tanks for the parade, which terribly disappoints him.

No one in this administration should have ever been granted security clearances. All of them are subject to manipulation and blackmail.

True-it's us trying to pretend we're involved and helping, when we won't say what the problem actually is. Horrific things are happening, but no one is willing to say it out loud. There should be a moral obligation, but, they apparently don't want to commit to that in Syria, or anywhere.

There was a plane crash at Kathmandu airport, with 49 dead Kathmandu airport crash: 49 dead as US-Bangla plane veers off runway - BBC News

A tourist helicopter crashed into the East River. Only the pilot escaped https://nypost.com/2018/03/11/tour-h...to-east-river/

ETA-here is the latest on the ex-Russian spy attack, Theresa May isn't having any of it, and gives Russia till tomorrow to respond to its inquiries https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...-spy-s-n855851

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 03-12-2018 at 01:48 PM
Old 03-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the information of Maxine Waters. Funny how Trump seems to instinctively dislike intelligent women of high qualifications and demonstrated intelligence, isn't it?

Honestly, I personally believe that, at most, the 2nd amendment was about protecting the right to have an armed militia and that, in today's day and age, that means the police and literally no one else. That's my personal interpretation of the 2nd amendment. My point, though, is that, in having any kind of military parade (and thank goodness he can't have tanks for it), Trump is pretty much confirming for all of those "I needs my guns to fight the government" people that they are right! Which is insane, but also probably pleases the NRA no end.

Unless I'm mistaken, that Kathmandu plane (and the one that crashed in Turkey and killed a whole bachelorette party) are the ones that were built by Bombardier, the local big plane builder. Like, Bombardier is a huge industry for Quebec and they received a real black eye over the last couple of days. I'm assuming it wasn't anything directly connected to them that caused the crashes, because they have a long and storied history of excellence... but the timing couldn't be more terrible for them as a business and large employer.

To say nothing, of course, of the obvious tragedy that such loss of life on such a large scale always is.

And it would be interesting to see Theresa May take on the Russians over this. Her popularity at home is pretty sketchy. She's basically in charge in that way that people elect women when they can't win for losing, you know? She's in charge of Brexit, which she may have supported before, but she's certainly not the one who campained for it and lied to the British public about its so-called endless benefits to them. So she can't really do much that's right on that issue. But if she manages to get anything done on this poisoning thing... who knows, it could be the making of her.

Meanwhile: Deadly Texas parcel bomb attacks 'linked'

Quote:
Two package bombs that left a teenager dead and two others injured in Austin, Texas are believed to be linked to a case earlier this month, police say.

A 17-year-old boy died after opening a parcel and a woman in her 40s was wounded in the explosion, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.

A 75-year-old Hispanic woman was also hurt when a package exploded elsewhere in the city on Monday, he said.

Police did not rule out the possibility of all three attacks being hate crimes.

The two explosions on Monday came days after a similar blast killed a 39-year-old man at his home in the Texas capital.

"Based on evidence that we haveā€¦ these incidents are related," Chief Manley said at a news conference.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 PM

He said she has a low I.Q. Of course Maxine wants him impeached. He also called Chuck Todd a ''sleepy-eyed son of a bitch.'' Trump is a jerk & I like Chuck Todd. He seems nice enough.

UK spy nerve agent attack: White House refuses to accuse Russia

Last edited by canflam; 03-12-2018 at 04:49 PM
Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

Multiple agencies have confirmed there was no collusion between Trump and Russia.

Now the house GOP are ending their investigation too

Sorry haters, you failed.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM

I didn't know multiple agencies confirmed that. I wonder which ones did. There's still the Senate & Mueller investigations going on. That's for the other thread though.

Nepal air crash: 49 dead as plane veers off Kathmandu runway
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Zero agencies have said there was no collusion (actually, conspiracy against the United States). This IS for the other thread. It's not about winning or losing. It is not a partisan issue. It is about the truth coming out.

Thanks for the links. Tillerson did speak out against Russia, and in support of the UK. Today he was fired.

The CIA Director was moved up to Tillerson's job, and now this is the new CIA Director-seriously. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/0...d.html?referer She oversaw torture of terror suspects in Thailand, and then ordered video tapes of it destroyed. She has a warrant out for her arrest, in Germany for it.

Sunny, I see now what you were saying about the parade. That does make sense, and you're right, no doubt pleases the NRA.

I had no idea Bombardier was at all an industry for Quebec. Hopefully it won't impact that in the long run, especially since they have such a stellar reputation. It sounds like, from what you said, it will be a problem for them though.

I can't see how it won't come out as a hate crime, in Austin-given the targets. Unless the targets change to the white race. I can't imagine being that full of hate for others, based on race. It didn't take them as long as it could have, to connect the bombs. Given that, I hope they catch the suspect soon.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...y-guns-n855961 So, basically this is another way to do nothing about gun violence, and gun control. AG Sessions is pushing for the FBI and states to not be "lax" in reporting factors that should prevent someone from being able to buy/own a gun. Nothing about a country wide database. Nothing about actually changing anything.

And, Russian ex-spies and businessmen are dropping like flies...could be coincidence, could not be. Another Putin critic dead in the UK. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...medium=twitter

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 03-13-2018 at 09:43 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread