Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

There is a thing about men, domestic violence, guns and mass shootings, though. Because you and I both know that mental illness does not discriminate. Plenty of women struggle with mental illness, plenty of women commit horrible crimes too, yet I have never heard of a mass shooter turning out to be a woman.

I'm not a mind reader, nor am I a psychiatrist. So I'm not here to judge on men or to assume things about people I've never met.

But there are other countries that have gun cultures, other countries that have as many or even more guns than the United States. Domestic violence certainly isn't a phenomenon known only in the United States. Ditto mental illness.

From where I'm sitting, though, the big difference lies in the fact that your cops haven't a hope in heck of getting on top of mass shootings.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I will never understand the USA's weird obsession with guns and being so against regulation. In my country police are armed but barely ever use their firearm and if they do, there is often a national debate if it was warranted. It's really difficult to obtain a gun permit for self-defense and you have to repeat medical and psychological evaluation every five years.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Air Force Academy says racial slurs outside dorm rooms were a hoax

Quote:
he (Colorado Springs) Gazette, citing anonymous sources, reported that the unidentified student wrote the messages β€œin a bizarre bid to get out of trouble he faced at the school for other misconduct.”
How did that seem like a good idea? people who do these hoaxes aren't helping others actually dealing with racism.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

People just don't think about the consequences and don't think they'll get caught. I somewhat get it if people do it in a desperate attempt to make people more aware of the seriousness of hate crimes, even if it doesn't ultimately help. But it seems this guy just did it to get out of trouble. But I think generally the ratio of false accusations to real incidents is low, probably like any other crime somewhere between 1-7%.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Speaking as a Native born American citizen, I am a ex US Army Airborne Ranger Sniper and a gun owner. Now while serving in the US Army I have killed the enemy, but as a civilian I do not hunt animals. For me having actually killed enemies that were armed and could shoot back, what is the point or sport of hunting a unarmed animal.

Now I do own weapons, and as a American I am proud and happy to have the US Rights to own weapons. I use my weapons in target shooting with my friends whom are all Law Enforcement officers; local Police officers, US Marshals, and State Troopers. Many of them were also like me former Ex US Military. Everyone is highly trained, certified, everyone has gone through background checks and licensed to own the weapons that they do.

In my case I own rifles and handguns. I even own black powder rifles that are different than more modern weapons. Now I do own a high powered bolt action sniper rifle, but I could do more damage with that weapon than a semi-auto mag weapon.

The real key is to have a national background check that spans all 50 states and multiple Law enforcement organization to make sure everything is covered and looked into a person's background. Tie it all together and you will have a full picture on anyone that wants to purchase a weapon legally. Have a standard defined set of courses that everyone must take and a set of licenses that each person should obtain to own weapons.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sunny, you're right. The cops don't have a chance at getting control of the gun issue now. No chance. Everything they needed to do, needed to be done a long time ago.

Mental illness definitely doesn't discriminate It's just a different thought process for men than women, in my opinion.

There is just no need for these type of guns on the street.

Kali they most definitely aren't helping genuine victims of racism. It hurts them, a lot.

Karma Police (sorry, I don't know your name) I live here, and I have no idea what the argument, or rationality, to have regulation is.

All I hear is screaming about the 2nd Amendment, and them having a right to their guns.

They're now selling these backpacks in schools Bulletproof panels for students' backpacks being sold by Florida school - CNN Backpacks with bullet proof panels. REALLY?

They're teaching children that they have to protect themselves, but are unwilling to pass gun restrictions of any kind. They're making money off of selling people things to defend themselves with, rather than as a society to do anything at all about guns.

In general, part of the problem is all the donations to the politicians by the NRA, and the NRA helping finance their campaigns It's all about money.

ETA-I put this here because it involves a teenager...Top Alabama GOPers Blast McConnell, Defend Roy Moore After Underage Sex Allegations – Talking Points Memo

Of course, to defend him, they're using Mary and Joseph, and Jesus.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 11-09-2017 at 02:46 PM
Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I'm confused about whether it's ''Democrats'' making these allegations about Roy Moore or not as what some have already said.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Washington Post article is quite detailed for it just to be Democrat allegation to undermine the GOP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.61dc7f114767

Quote:
Karma Police (sorry, I don't know your name) I live here, and I have no idea what the argument, or rationality, to have regulation is.

All I hear is screaming about the 2nd Amendment, and them having a right to their guns.

They're now selling these backpacks in schools Bulletproof panels for students' backpacks being sold by Florida school - CNN Backpacks with bullet proof panels. REALLY?

They're teaching children that they have to protect themselves, but are unwilling to pass gun restrictions of any kind. They're making money off of selling people things to defend themselves with, rather than as a society to do anything at all about guns.

In general, part of the problem is all the donations to the politicians by the NRA, and the NRA helping finance their campaigns It's all about money.
My name is Paulina.

I read about the backpacks yesterday, insane.

And yeah, the NRA has politicians in their pockets.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Washington Post article is quite detailed for it just to be Democrat allegation to undermine the GOP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.61dc7f114767

Quote:

My name is Paulina.

I read about the backpacks yesterday, insane.

And yeah, the NRA has politicians in their pockets.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hi Paulina. I'm Kim.

The GOP out of Alabama is saying that it's a Democratic smear campaign against Roy, but there are also those saying it's Washington GOP officials who want Roy Moore out.

There are 4 woman, so I doubt it's any conspiracy, from either side.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 11-09-2017 at 04:51 PM
Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Paulina (So glad to finally know your name!) I think you make an excellent and oft-forgotten point about how people falsely reporting harrassment is not at all a common occurence. I think the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" is good, but I do think it often leads to repeat offenders going unchecked because it's dismissed as a "he said/she said" scenario in which both sides have equal credibility.

Kim The thing is, mental illness does not criminals make. So that mass murderers are almost systematically labelled as being mentally ill rubs me the wrong way. Like being mentally ill explains their actions. The thing is, if it did, there wouldn't be anyone left standing on this planet. That's how rampant mental illness is.

So it's not mental illness.

But, let's say it is for a second. It still comes down to the gun-control laws. If these tragedies happen because of mental illness and mental illness alone, then you need better laws and better ways of enforcing those laws to make sure mentally ill people (and domestic abusers and other various types of violent criminals) absolutely cannot put their hands on guns.

That opens up a can of worms, though, doesn't it? Precisely because mental illness is so rampant and a gray zone. Where do you draw the line? Can a person who's had post-partum depression still own a gun? What about bulimia or agoraphobia?

But, sure, let's just give kids bulletproof backpacks instead.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It hits me the wrong way, too. I don't think that all people who kill have mental illnesses, or that all people who have mental illnesses kill.

A law that was passed, in 2013 to have people receiving SS income with mental illness, be added to the background check database, which he believed would help. I don't personally have any idea how much it would help, or what difference it would make. Trump decided that wasn't helpful, and changed the law back to what it was before then.

Yeah, that does make sense. How would you decide who and who wouldn't still be allowed to own a gun, If that's overwhelming to us-just thinking about it, I can't imagine how hard it would be to take action on.

And in Puerto Rico,https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/56302...leave-the-isla

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 11-10-2017 at 08:03 PM
Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well, of course support is being taken away from Puerto Rico. No one's talking about Puerto Rico anymore. That's not the focus, is it? Perfect time to walk back support!

In an interview with some U.S. network, the wife of the loser who shot up that Texas church had a whole lot to say about just how freaking abusive he had been to her. And no one thought it was worth reporting it to law enforcement. And the kind of background check that is sufficient under the law didn't flag any of his issues.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The repairs Whitefish did have all failed. Also not surprising. Tesla is there, installing solar panels, mostly at hospitals. Not only is PR being left behind, the US government is trying to tax them 20% on any supplies imported to help them. That's going quietly unnoticed.

I've read that several people knew of the abuse, and, as you said, reported nothing. He abused their young son, cracking his skull. The laws for background checks need to change. I just don't have a lot of faith in that happening.

Kim
Old 11-11-2017, 03:18 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Thanks for all this news. Some sad news this week around here about a missing teen & man his 20's from Pasco, WA: Two people found dead in Forest Park amid search for missing Aloha teen
Closed Thread   Post New Thread