Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Celtic Mythology: Cailleach- Goddess of Winter

Also known as the Cailleach Bheur, is a divine hag, and possibly an ancestral deity or deified ancestor. In Scotland, where she is also known as Beira, Queen of Winter, she is credited with making numerous mountains and large hills, which are said to have been formed when she was striding across the land and accidentally dropped rocks from her apron. In other cases she is said to have built the mountains intentionally, to serve as her stepping stones. She carries a hammer for shaping the hills and valleys, and is said to be the mother of all the goddesses and gods.[4]

The Cailleach evinces many traits fitting for the personified Winter: she herds deer, she fights Spring, and her staff freezes the ground.
Source: drwgonflora

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
In Norse mythology, Rán is a goddess associated with the sea. According to Snorri Sturluson’s Prose Edda book Skáldskaparmál, in his retelling of the Poetic Edda poem Lokasenna, she is married to Ægir and they have nine daughters together.

Source: lady-arryn

Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 10-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Master Fan

modern greek goddess aesthetics → hecate, goddess of witchcraft

Source: astoriamalfoys

Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

Studying The Iliad and Odyssey in my World Literature class.

I wish my college had a mythology course.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved my Greek mythology classes but a lot of that was down to the teacher. I mean, the subject was super interesting, but I find that the teacher always makes or breaks the success of any given class.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Master Fan

OMG! Achilles and Patroclus

Source: genicecream

Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's beautiful.

I remember when the movie Troy came out on DVD and I was working at a Blockbuster. I remember telling the customers how Petroclus wasn't Achilles' cousin or best friend. Good times.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

“That woman — she maneuvers like a man.” - Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quote:
Clytemnestra (Greek Κλυταιμήστρα, Klutaimestra) was born from an egg, the twin sister of Helen, though not quite. Clytemnestra was fathered by Leda’s husband, Tyndareus, while Helen was fathered by Zeus. The two girls were identical, but Helen was ineffably more beautiful. Men fought over the right to wed Helen, considered the most beautiful woman in the world, and she was eventually wed to Menelaus, the King of Sparta. Clytemnestra was given to Menelaus’s brother, Agamemnon, as a consolation prize. (In a late version by Euripides, the tragedy Iphigeneia at Aulis, Agamemnon slew Clytemnestra’s first husband in battle and took her as part of his victory, also murdering her infant son.) With Agamemnon she had four children: Elektra, Chrysothemis, Iphigeneia, and Orestes.

When Helen either ran off with — or was kidnapped by — Paris, the Prince of Troy, Agamemnon accompanied his brother Menelaus in the famed war to reclaim her. The winds would not carry them to Troy, however, and a prophet informed Agamemnon that the only way to please the gods would be to sacrifice his daughter Iphigeneia. Deceiving Clytemnestra with the claim that he wished to wed their daughter to Achilles, Agamemnon sacrificed her to the gods. The winds then carried the Greek ships to Troy. Clytemnestra was enraged, and plotted to kill her infant son Orestes — Agamemnon’s only heir — as revenge against her husband. The baby was spirited away by his sister Elektra, however, and Clytemnestra was foiled.

In the ten years while her husband was absent in Troy, Clytemnestra ruled as regnant queen, taking Agamemnon’s cousin Aegisthus as her consort. Upon Agamemnon’s return from the war, she lured him into the house with false rejoicing… then murdered him, his slave the Trojan princess Cassandra, and their newborn twins. Clytemnestra married Aegisthus and ruled for seven more years, until her son Orestes returned and, conspiring with Elektra, killed his mother, his stepfather, and their children, assuming the throne for himself.
Source: galileiano

Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

I have always found mythology so interesting! Even if I don't know so much about it.

Who's afraid of little old me?
--------------You should be.
→ Jessica | creative dream
meraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Clytemnestra was badass. I particularly love the versions where she killed Agamemnon in his bathtub.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 AM
Master Fan

Cassandra and Apollo | Southern Gothic AU (x)
I've been down with a broken heart since the day I learned to speak
The devil gave me a crooked start when he gave me crooked feet
But Gabriel done came to me and kissed me in my sleep
And I'll be singing like an angel until I'm six feet deep

Source: glorianas

Old 09-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mind you, all mythology veers into AU at one point or another, right?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

if i even see the name Atlantis, i'm drawn like a mosquito to a bug-zapper lol. B-Z-Z-TTT!

i love Greek Mythology the most, though.
Jen's Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, I would imagine it's not hard to prefer Greek mythology to Roman mythology, for instead, since one borrows heavily from the other anyway. But I've yet to encounter a mythology of any kind that hasn't been super fascinating. Norse mythology, Persian mythology, Egyptian mythology, etc. It's all good to me.

And, even as I call it Greek, Roman, Norse, etc. That's a fallacy. There were regional differences and customs that evolved over time as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

Does fairytales count as mythology?

Reply   Post New Thread