Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Roswellgirl1001
I really don't know what classes are the most important to take, other than the general psychology and sociology classes available in HS. Which APs are most important, and what tests should I take? I have the option of taking the World History AP exam this year (sophmore) but I don't even think I'll need it. Will I? Ack!
Psychology minor, speaking.

Generally, you're going to want the typical pre-med course, because psychiatrists are an MD and do go to medical school.

So, you're going to want to load up on the maths and sciences. AP Calculus AB at least is a must - BC, if you can. Any and all sciences you can get your hands on, particularly AP Biology and AP Chemistry. A LOT of psychology is neurology, which is just as much chemistry as it is biology. Psychology itself is considered a social science, so if your school offers it, definitely take AP Psych, too. I would also recommend AP English classes, as they really help your ability to think and write.

I took AP World History as a sophomore and hated it; after our class they stopped offering it. I'm not a history buff, but some of it is important, just to be aware of schemas and memes (two huge psych topics) as they appear throughout history. Probably the most important history class you could take would be American.

Hoped this helped! Any idea where you want to apply?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Master Fan

I finished up my B.Sc with a major in biology, minor in Biochemistry. My eventual goal has been Med School, but these past two years, when I've wanted to write the MCAT..well I'll just say that the timing hasnt been right. (aka: My personal life really really sucks ), But I'm writing it this year..well next year, actually. Hoping to be in the starting class of '06.

So I'm doing my honours in Biology, and I'm doing my research with researchers over in the Med School, so..I'm not totally out of the medicine loop.

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by dariah

Hoped this helped! Any idea where you want to apply?
Yes it did!! Thank you, thank you! I've decided I will take the AP History exam, because I can ( ), and all those APs will look good when I apply. Right now, my best subjects are English and Social Studies, but I was great at the neurology part of Biology last year. I'll have to brush up on the math, though. The good thing is, I'm set up for all APs and Honors courses next year, and also AP psychology. As for colleges... there's so much out there, it's hard to decide! University of Texas is definitely up there, since they have accept anyone in the state in the top 10%. Aside from that, I'll have to talk to my counselor and other people.

What colleges did most of you go to?
Oh, and what exactly is the MCAT? (Obviously its a medical exam), but what does it entail, when do you take it, etc? I have a lot of questions!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Roswellgirl1001

What colleges did most of you go to?
Oh, and what exactly is the MCAT? (Obviously its a medical exam), but what does it entail, when do you take it, etc? I have a lot of questions!
I went/am going to Johns Hopkins University.

The MCAT stands for the Medical College Admissions Test, and it is adminsitered twice a year - in August and in April. It's expensive and long, that's what I mostly remember. It's divided up into three parts, biology, physics and writing. There's a max of 15 points possible per section, and your total score is either your section average (i.e., 12.4) or your overall total (i.e., 38).
Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Extreme Fan

Anybody want to compare MCAT scores?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Elite Fan

this up for the would-be doctors or medics.
Robsessed_MeesterManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

oh cool, never knew this one existed

little introduction: i'm Anna, currently in my fourth year of meds, want to end up at the NICU and uhm, that's about it
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Never saw this thread before. Right now, I'm a first year pre-pharmacy student at Purdue. Just got a job as a pharm tech at a local retail pharmacy. Right now, I'm really stressing about getting the grades to get into pharmacy school though. Any advice out there?

"I know things that would curdle your blood, including a formula that literally curdles blood!" -Hodgins
Avatar from CourtyJean at iconator.com
Angel1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread