Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

I had a no-good-night of sleep myself last night. Work was hard today, probably even more so because there wasn't a whole lot for me to do.

I'm trying to have more discipline with the nighttime routine. Usually, when I keep that up, I sleep better.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lately, I've only taken melatonin when I'm seeing there is no chance for nighttime sleep hours unless I try it which means I will take one between 2 am and 5 am mostly,

I haven't tried the idea of taking one at dusk, or going outside for that time.

This stuff happened last summer too and I'm thinking a bit part may be that it's light outside so long in summer and I tend to sleep better when it gets dark early. This summer has been not only the light issue, but depression stuff that comes at night and also my sore uncomfortable shoulder isn't giving me good sleep positions.

I feel guilty for tantruming about it in the middle of the night here though, but when I'm wide awake in bed at 5 am I feel like I have to type or read.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

If you take melatonin regularly (by which I mean, each and every day for an extended period of time), it stops working. It's not a sleeping pill. It's a natural chemical your body produces. So, if you take supplements all the time, your body just adjusts.

Now, if you take it sporadically, like you would to address the occasional jet lag, then it should work. But, again, it's not a drug. It just pushes your body towards sleepiness.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I didn't know that Sunny. That's good to know.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

For years and years, I would go between this supplement and that supplement, till it would stop working for me. So, yeah, that's what my doctor at the time told me.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Melatonin taken daily will stop your body's capability of making it's own serotonin which helps you sleep and helps with mood regulation. Many people on antidepressants take meds that allow their body to hang on to serotonin and not excrete it in the urine. Some people can and do eventually are able to begin to make it's own serotonin again but Melatonin is designed to be used for 3 days at a time for jet lag and occasional insomnia. Most people don't realize that 3 days in a row max thing is a big deal then a break for several days.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

yup definitely not something you wanna take for extended periods of time.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

So, I just spent two nights sleeping a foot away from my mother (different beds, same room). Not only does she still snore (for health reasons, she has to sleep immobilized on her back), but she now also moans when breathing air in.

Awesome.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Master Fan

Ughhh can't sleep. In a lot of pain lately.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry! Mandie, can you take medication that helps with the pain? Or is it the same problem that causes my insomnia which is too much emotional thoughts?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Master Fan

Leanne, combination of both. I can only take so much pain meds. The pain meds for my knee don't work. I see my doctor soon which is good.

How are you doing?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's weird, yesterday at work, I was so tired from 5 hours or less sleep, I was grouchy and irritated and I was dreading getting stitches removed too and I felt more easily tear-y because of the extreme lack of sleep. But then today, I had a good day at work and felt positive in general... and I never know which way it's all gonna go!

I'm hoping to get good sleep tonight. But having to wear a bandage and worrying it leaking and staining my bedsheets kind of don't let me relax while I'm in bed... not til everything is completely healed.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've started to stop wanting to have a good night of sleep, because it almost never happens anyway, and focusing on just getting some rest. It actually seems to be helping!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is anyone else still dealing with sleep issues, or insomnia?

I am in a cycle where I can only sleep in daylight. I've kind of accepted it at this point, and am hoping I can work around it-for appointment times, getting things done, and being out with errands.

I'm up till about 7am, and in bed until about 2pm. I feel tired when I go to bed, but, it's just not working out.

Kim
Old 04-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

You could try melatonin supplements, if you're trying to adjust your sleeping hours. You're not supposed to take those for a long time, but they can be helpful for things like jet lag and such.

But that's if you want to get it back to "normal." If you're comfortable the way you are, that works, too.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread