Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like doing things without expecting a good result. Like art and stuff. I'm never gonna be good at it, so I like when there's no pressure.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Hobbies are like organized play, you work at doing something and try your best. I have learned over the years to Carpentry, Masonry, plaster work, painting, plumbing and many other related skills in redoing my Victorian home. The only skill I will not touch is electrical work.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

For me, hobbies don't have to be about skill. Sometimes, they can be, to a certain extent. Like, it would hard for me to knit if I didn't have some basic knowledge.

But if I was in it to be the best knitter or to knit stuff that would be admired by other people, then it wouldn't be any fun for me anymore.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's like when I did photography. It was for fun and learning, but then I got good enough that family and friends started asking me to take pics of events they were having or family get together, but then that started feeling like work even tho they sometimes paid me. Now I don't really ever take pics with my camera unless it's travel photography for myself on trips.
reason to believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Exactly... only I never got good enough at any of it for that to happen to me.

But I just have "performance anxiety" enough in my job or my real-life "duties," carrying that into the things I do for fun would ruin the fun for me. I do them precisely to let that side of my brain have a rest.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Loyal Fan

For me I helped a friend build a couple of field stone planters , and then a field store waterfall and pond in his back yard. We also built a couple of walkways too. Now the next fall I built backyard walkways and patio area for my backyard and front walkways. Next I built a field stone planter all along the inner side of my backyard along my 8 foot privacy fence. Then I built other pads for sheds, and other planters in the backyard too. Then I built flagstone planters on either side and in front of my front porch, I built one around a old maple tree in my front yard as well. I then used the remaining small chips and built a enclosure on the inside of my fence to make a planter to fence in the Boxwoods. After building all that, I then helped other friends to build planters on their properties and taught them and improved my skills.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think it's awesome you enjoy all of that, Penn.

I think my dad may have forced too much "useful" "construction" "hobbies" on us as kids for me to be able to find much enthusiasm for it now that he can't make me, which seems a shame now, I guess.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Loyal Fan

For fun I like to paint small figures and each figure can take hours. Usually I work on a couple figures at the same time, and then work on them over a period of time. Usually the figures these days are made from Resin, and the type of paints that are used are different than what was used a few years ago.

I actually have a workbench setup in my extended garage that I can leave setup all the time and work on these projects. It is quiet, secluded, and I can really focus on the painting of my figures. The paints sometimes have powerful smells that can make your head spin, so having a wide open spaces with good ventilation is important.

I focus on Fantasy figures, WW II, Civil War and etc. I also build dioramas that many of these figures are apart of. Now my interests in model rail roads also fits in with my diorama building hobby skills as well. Also I use my workbench setup to also teach some BSA Merit badges like: Collections, Railroading, Model Design & Building and Game Design. When I was a Boy Scout Troop Master, I would teach BSA Scouts in my garage a number of these skills. For me it was nice teaching these different merit badges, and in many cases inspired some of them to pick up the hobbies as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, there you go.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Loyal Fan

I always like teaching others about my hobbies and if I can spark their interests in these hobbies then I feel I have accomplished something. I greatly enjoy being a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor, and I enjoy guiding young minds and teaching them something that they can have fun.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love watching cooking shows, but I can't say that I necessarily learn a whole lot since they often cook things I don't eat (like beef, pork or nuts. But I like the show.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Loyal Fan

I tried Fried Green Tomatoes , they were actually pretty good. Give them a try?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nah. My liver doesn't handle fried food and I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes (except in, like, pasta or pizza sauce).

But, again, I'm sure I'd love to see someone make them on a cooking show.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Loyal Fan

Here is a YouTube video of how to make Fried Green Tomatoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfEm34RRMo
Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's a video of one of my favourite comedians:

Reply   Post New Thread