Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

We also owe X-ray technology and, by extension, the lives of a whole lot of WWI soldiers to Marie Curie.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
http://www.history.com/s3static/vide...ll_624x352.jpg

Today is the 59th anniversary of the day Central High School in Little Rock, Ark., was integrated. The Little Rock Nine, as the black students were called, are/were Ernest Green, Elizabeth Eckford, Jefferson Thomas, Terrence Roberts, Carlotta Walls LaNier, Minnijean Brown, Gloria Ray Karlmark, Thelma Mothershed and Melba Pattillo Beals.
I did a paper about the Little Rock Nine in my Arkansas History class when I was in 8th grade.

I love the Tudor Dynasty and you're right about the women. I'm more interested in the women than him (especially Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and her daughter Elizabeth I).
I found some great books of the women yesterday on Amazon and I put them on my wish list.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Catherine Howard is the one I can't get out of my head, when I stop to think about it anyway.

She was just a teenager, and an apparently kinda dumb one at that. She was married off to the old, obese, irrational man. And he got it into his head that she was cheating on him. She had boyfriends/lovers before they married. But, evidently, she got her head chopped off for no other reason than her husband insisted on marrying someone too young and pretty for him to be able to handle the fact that other men lusted after her.

Poor kid.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

there were only two things that held my interest in school growing up, English Literature and US/World History, i had straight A's in both, pretty much hated everything else, hated math, hated science, but i could read literature until the cows came home, and history was my thing, especially 1600-1900s US history, and European history. i do love reading about all the extinct cultures like the Incas, Aztecs, Toltecs, Mayas, others like the Hopi and Anasazi Indians. i love history mysteries too, like was there really a lost Atlantean civilization. i hope so...
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I was the same. Well, except of course that we didn't get U.S. history here. But I took the six-credit intro course in university.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

History was one of my favorite subjects at school

I liked it so much that, until i had back surgery, i worked as an archaeologist and now i'm into cultural management and teaching.

It's great to find here a thread about history and history lovers
Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's an interesting path that you've taken. Where or what period of archaeology are we talking about here?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 12-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Master Fan

I'm interested in:

1. Both World War I and II
2. Royal History
3. Civil War
4. Civil Rights movement.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 12-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm pretty much interested in all of it.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

i have been doing a lot of reading on the Romanov Dynasty lately, the last Russian royal family, so much i didn't know or thought i knew, so sad about the senseless slaughter of the exiled family, especially the four daughters, Olga, Tatiana, Maria, and Anastasia.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tsar Nicholas wrote his first cousin (and identical twin, only not because they were cousins, not brothers) King George V of England for help, asking if they could flee to England essentially. And King George basically said "no," because the political climate in England was leaning xenophobic at that time and he didn't want to compromise the monarchy by doing that.

Anyway, the rest is history.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm interested in a lot. I travel to one new place a month. February I'm off to the Lake District to see Beatrix Potters home.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's cool!

On the way home from Cuba, the movie on the plane was Goodbye Christophe Robin, about AA Milne and the writing of the Winnie the Pooh books and the impact it had on his son... I mean, obviously, the movie was a romanticized version of all of that. But it was good.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread