Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

The term was coined by a psychologist in the 60s, nobody is forcing you to use it but it's not a term the community made up this century. Language evovles and so did the meaning of homophobia.

Made up words, they might be made up to you but I'm glad I can use a term to describe what's happening to me, when people hate on me for no reason other than for my sexuality.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.

Last edited by Karma Police; 01-24-2018 at 12:45 AM
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 AM
Graphics Team Manager

^ good point about language & meanings evolving . Plenty of words no longer mean what they used to

I hope people don't hate you personally too much for just being you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future husband of Kelly. (View Post)
Thanks for the post Chelle, it is really good to hear about why people post here and how they feel about things. The fact that you said it, it's given me an understanding l never really had before, it's finally allowed me to see things from a different angel.
I'm glad that you can see things from a different perspective now . Sometimes its hard to see the other side or even know what a thread is for for certain too. But then if you've never experienced the hate you may not even consider the need for a safe place like this. Personally I'm one of the fortunate few who haven't experienced it directly, I just know its out there, & had to put up with the homophobic comments during the marriage equality survey in Australia. I have plenty of people in my life who accept me for who I am & don't care that I'm bisexual but there's lots of people who don't have that. Then there's all the people who are afraid to come out or can't come out because of what the reaction may/will be. For years I've searched to find something which says that its ok to be, all I find are role models who are gay which at least gives me some comfort, & places like this are good as while not all the posters may be a part of the LGBT community they at least support it & don't care. Its also taken me a good ten years to reach a point where I can say this is who I am, if you don't like that then that's your problem not mine. I can't imagine what its like for those who actually face the homophobia or can't be open about who they are but I do feel that they need safe places like this where they're free to be themselves without having to deal with homophobia or any other hate. Its just you're you & that's ok, we like you & we'll support you whenever you need it

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home (View Post)

I'm glad that you can see things from a different perspective now . But then if you've never experienced the hate you may not even consider the need for a safe place like this.

Now l can see the need to a place like here, and with the internet being anonymous it will give even more people who haven't gone public vital support that they seek. Now l understand.

Another thing l now understand is why there are so many threads here. It just dawned on me that many people are into internet activities and they like to belong to various communities of like minded people. The key word here is a sense of`belonging' to communities, and these days this type of thing is done online with so many people. Haha, l think l am starting to understand what this forum is about, l never could work it out until now. See...l never grew up with all of this,so l never understood why all of these things were going on. I always saw it as a place for intellectual debates and not as a place for fun, BUT now l see this is not the case, it is actually a place for fun and belonging to communities. Hmmm, very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home
Personally I'm one of the fortunate few who haven't experienced it directly, I just know its out there, & had to put up with the homophobic comments during the marriage equality survey in Australia. I have plenty of people in my life who accept me for who I am & don't care that I'm bisexual but there's lots of people who don't have that. Then there's all the people who are afraid to come out or can't come out because of what the reaction may/will be. For years I've searched to find something which says that its ok to be, all I find are role models who are gay which at least gives me some comfort, & places like this are good as while not all the posters may be a part of the LGBT community they at least support it & don't care. Its also taken me a good ten years to reach a point where I can say this is who I am, if you don't like that then that's your problem not mine. I can't imagine what its like for those who actually face the homophobia or can't be open about who they are but I do feel that they need safe places like this where they're free to be themselves without having to deal with homophobia or any other hate. Its just you're you & that's ok, we like you & we'll support you whenever you need it

Last edited by Future husband of Kelly.; 01-24-2018 at 02:23 AM
Future husband of Kelly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jessica, I am so excited for this film!

I'm wondering whether I will be able to relate to it. When I was in school I went through a homosexual phase (I know the film isn't about a phase) but I dated a girl and we got endlessly bullied. Schools are such a damaging place and I hope that future generations will be more accepting of it.

Has anyone read/watched anything similar to Love Simon?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not sure it's similar to Love, Simon but a good movie about bullying I watched last year was 1:54. It focuses on bullying and internal homophobia, it's a tough one.

1:54 (2016) - IMDb

Quote:
I always saw it as a place for intellectual debates and not as a place for fun, BUT now l see this is not the case, it is actually a place for fun and belonging to communities. Hmmm, very interesting.
I don't know if you are aware how disrespectful you come across but claiming that this thread is not for intelectual discussion because we want to feel like we belong is quite bizarre. This thread is for both fun and discussion but I also don't view lecturing the LGBT community on terminology usage as debate.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you for the recommendation
Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's a Quebec movie!!! Like, not even "just" Canadian, but from my hometown of Montreal. I went to college with the director. (I didn't know him even a little bit. I'm just saying, that's how close to home we're talking here!)
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Graphics Team Manager

^ that's pretty cool

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

It is. The movie's apparently had a lot of international success, so it's always great to hear when the home crowd is successful. And, of course, it's apparently very good.

By which I mean that it isn't overly simplistic. Bullying is bad, obviously. For sure. No one's about to argue that. But the bully isn't just evil, you know? So the solution to bullying is complex.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

Hi, I'm Brittany. I'm a Bisexual.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Welcome Brittany nice to see another bisexual here

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-27-2018, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home (View Post)
Welcome Brittany nice to see another bisexual here
Thank you!

Bisexuals have some hate towards them too. People say we are confused about our sexuality. We do anything in our sights.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yeah I've seen a lot of that. Most I've only seen it online though, never had it directed at me or offline though thankfully. Hopefully that remains that way . My main 'issue' is that you rarely see it reflected in media & when it is there its minor &/or done wrong which only adds to misconceptions

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Fan

I usually look at them. I would tell them I'm not confused. I'm a open door. It swings both ways. I love kissing girls as well as boys.

Then you have to deal with very religious people too. I'm like once again it's not phase I'm going through. I still can get married to a guy or girl and have children with them.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Funny how people who encounter situations they can't label will resort to assuming there's something to fix about said situations. As opposed to, you know, trying to learn something new.
Reply   Post New Thread