Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just have little patient for people trying to pretend they're right when they're being hateful.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Then there was this..... Gay marriage in Australia: Controversy over SSM surveys
Camibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Which is the controversy, though? The dead people, the graffiti, something else I didn't quite see from that article?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Yeah the graffiti...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The things people will put on walls will never cease to amaze me in their stupidity and meanness. I mean, we still have morons painting swastikas here.

But there is pretty awesome news over here: Ontario minor hockey makes transgender training mandatory for coaches

This is basically the story of how junior hockey in the province of Ontario will no longer be allowed to segregate hockey players based on the gender they were assigned at birth, rather than on gender identity. Which seems obvious, but it's one of those things where someone had to stand up for everyone in charge to realize what the right thing to do was.

And the doubly awesome thing is that Ontario is a significant province in Canadian politics in terms of civil-rights legislation. The way it usually goes, whatever new legislation passes on Ontario will pass in other provinces here and there and, before you know it, it becomes federal law.

So this will spread to the other provinces.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Another bit of LGBTQ+ news out of Ontario: Transgender Invictus Games athlete dives into competition for the first time as a man

The medals may not come this time around, but for injured American soldier Aaron Stewart, these Invictus Games in Toronto feel just right as he competes as a man for the first time.

Stewart, 33, has competed in swimming and recumbent cycling in two other Invictus Games as a woman, winning eight medals, including two golds. This time, going up against men makes the competition tougher but that doesn’t matter to Stewart.

“It’s completely different. The competition itself is different and I feel comfortable this year because I’m able to compete as myself,” the Missouri native said on CTV’s Your Morning Friday.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And out of Germany: Germany gay marriage: Couple are first to marry under new law

Two men have become the first gay couple to marry in Germany, on the day gay marriage became legal there.

Karl Kreile and Bodo Mende, a couple for 38 years, exchanged their vows at the town hall in Schöneberg, Berlin.

Registry offices in several German cities were opening, unusually, on Sunday to allow couples to wed on the first day it was legally possible.

Getting married will give gay couples the same tax advantages and adoption rights as heterosexual couples.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Over 60% of eligible registered voters have already voted in the SSM Plebiscite! That is WAY more than the cowardly Conservative government who is in power were expecting... Hopefully most of them are for [YES].

I filled out my vote yesterday and posted it! It was not a no vote....
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It wouldn't surprise me if the elected officials got a surprise. The world's moving forward on gay civil rights, not backwards.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Remember, that even if it were majority in favour of SSM, they could still choose to not pass this into law. This was the point of them not just doing a 'free vote' in parliament like how every other altered law is done...
Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Of course. They could do whatever they want.

But, assuming the vote comes out massively in favour of YES, and they chose to ignore that, they would lose face. They're in a democracy. That has to mean something. The whole point of doing a plebiscite, even if it's just to allow them to break the party-line, is to consult public opinion.

Not to mention that it would just be delayed. Civil rights only move forward.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:09 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Delayed yes, but for 20 years minimum! If the NO vote comes though, they won't do a vote in parliament at all plus for the next 2 decades every time this subject comes up they will point to this and say 'look, nobody wants it!' They did this many times with Daylight saving here which we still do not have (but I wish we did) also with becoming a republic - the no camp did the same exact lies and false advertising of unrelated issues to scare the same volunteer voters to not vote YES.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:42 AM
Graphics Team Manager
Moderator Support Team

I don't think it'd be 20 years. I also haven't heard that time frame but I stopped paying attention because all the articles & hate were making me upset so its better to just stay away from it all. But the last I heard was that if No won then they wouldn't address the subject again before the next election & if they get in again they still won't do it. So that's only what 5 years? Then the Labor party have already said that they'll make it happen if they're in government so unless we don't switch up to Labor in the next 20 years I don't see it being 20 years to make it happen. Plus if the yes voters win & they still ignore that & do nothing then that's only going to give the LGBT community (who want it to happen), their families (who support it), & some of the yes voters reason to vote for Labor over Liberal so not a wise move on their part to ignore it. As Sunny said - they'd lose face

Of course in saying that Labor will make it happen it does depend on who is in power since they could go playing musical chairs with the leader again (not that they're the only ones guilty of that trick, they just did it first). Then they can always change their minds once they are in power. Malcolm Turnbull used to support marriage equality until he became the leader of the Liberal party/PM & had to be against it. Probably why he is screwing around with it as he probably has no idea what to do about it

I'd like to think that since he supposedly supported it then & says he does now with the vote that he won't ignore the yes votes if they win & will allow his party to have a conscience vote. However that doesn't mean the rest of the Liberal party will then vote for it but at least we know some of them will

(As for Daylight Savings, you don't want it. Its such a pain to change clocks & you lose a whole hours sleep when you move into it Throws you out a bit too in those few days after it first changes as the lighting is right for the time of day)

Chelle » DeltaNCISKellyjoin GTart
calling me home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

If the people of Australia demand that gay civil rights are addressed by their government, they can't keep postponing it. Assuming you all have a system similar to ours here in Canada, what you need is for someone to bring a suit against their government. The courts will then force the government's hand.

And that's assuming the NO vote carries the day this time or that, even if the YES vote does, your government chooses to be boneheads about it.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I have had daylight saving as a 3 year trial we had in W.A! I loved it! The sun was not up at 4am but up at 5am, the sun set later in the evening so that I could enjoy gardening or go for a walk before it got dark, also, it was only 2 hours delay from me here in W.A and the Eastern States so that helped out a LOT at work and when contacting people in my own time once I got home. I would LOVE it to come back. Changing clocks back or forward is a small hassle for the good things i'd get out of it!
Reply   Post New Thread