Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Elite Fan

Feminism thread - men and women welcome

What is feminism?

feminism

The doctrine — and the political movement based on it — that women should have the same economic, social, and political rights as men.

What do feminists look like? Who is a feminist?

YouTube - This is What a Feminist Looks Like

What do America Ferrera, Larry David, and Amy Brenneman have in common? They're all proud to call themselves feminists.Celebrate Women's History Month with them and other feminists by watching the special This Is What A Feminist Looks Like video.

Are you a feminist?
What makes you identify/not identify as such?

Feminists:

fetch
Cookie
haveuever
*Amethyst*

Last edited by Sunrise at Midnight; 11-13-2014 at 03:13 PM
fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Interesting thread!

I think it's a tricky subject, especially since it doesn't have an answer. It's dependent on cultural upbringing I would say. Personally, I wouldn't know where to begin to answer the question because I am caught between two societies really. I live in Canada which preaches equality for men and women and while we are a long way from getting there, there has been SOME gains made. On the other hand, my family comes from a country where such a concept is a bit unheard of. Where sons are valued to carry on the family name, and inherit property when the father passes away.
chemistry86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah a lot of people still think women and men should have different roles. It's not even that concept that bothers me, but it's the fact the 'women's' jobs are considered less important, too.

Where is your family from?

Thanks for stopping by
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Exactly. That's the thing that's complicated. I might buy into the notion that men and women do have different roles in society but it's the fact that women's roles aren't seen as signficant that is the part that does bug me. I think you find that even in western worlds however. There is always that underlying message in popculture today, which leads me to wonder how progressive we are as a collective society, lol.

My family comes from Nigeria

Last edited by chemistry86; 09-10-2009 at 04:42 PM
chemistry86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, and yet if you say you're a feminist people say it's not needed any more, even though women aren't represented anywhere, and are paid less, and there's so much rape and sexual abuse even in the Western world, and we're fighting for abortion rights worldwide, and so many other things.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

You know, a year ago, I wouldn't have thought about calling myself a feminist. But then I got a job where one of my superiors was constantly making sexist remarks and treating us girls different, it was the first time that I really felt discriminated against for being a woman, and it was incredibly annoying. I was relieved when my contract ended and didn't have to go back.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Elite Fan

Hey!

It took a long time for me to call myself a feminist, too. A lot of things I kept shrugging off, maybe it's just me, etc. But I saw it was happening to all girls, everywhere.

And I'm debating rape online and getting upset. There's always some reason for the woman to be making it up or be overreacting or well what did she expect dressing like that.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Master Fan

This reminds me of when I did Sociology at school, I always thought that women were more dominant, they just let men think they have the power and control
i'll take a bruise, I know you're worth it
when you hit me, hit me h a r d
♥trifecta♥
Priya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Elite Fan

I just watched that YT video and it's got some hilarious comments on it: "How I think there needs to be some group against them to hold them from going too far so yeah I think in my thoughts there needs to be a masclinsts to keep feminists from going over board but that what I think. I do think it needs to have control over ppl from group so they dont get too much power (I know I said we dont need another group sry I didnt say it right in a good example)So plz dont blame all women I know it tough to actually hear this but there is some good ppl left b4 christ comes." lol Raptor Jesus will save him for sure.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksand (View Post)
I just watched that YT video and it's got some hilarious comments on it: "How I think there needs to be some group against them to hold them from going too far so yeah I think in my thoughts there needs to be a masclinsts to keep feminists from going over board but that what I think. I do think it needs to have control over ppl from group so they dont get too much power (I know I said we dont need another group sry I didnt say it right in a good example)So plz dont blame all women I know it tough to actually hear this but there is some good ppl left b4 christ comes." lol Raptor Jesus will save him for sure.
Ummm what? I couldn't even understand what that guy was trying to say, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it if I did.

I love your icon
Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Hi, thought i would pop in. I'm a guy but i am totally for equal rights for everyone. I think women (and men) should be allowed to do what they want without being judged for it.

You make me Feel like I'm living a Teenage Dream,
Let's runaway And don't ever look back
vicious_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzie_fan (View Post)
Hi, thought i would pop in. I'm a guy but i am totally for equal rights for everyone. I think women (and men) should be allowed to do what they want without being judged for it.
Men can be feminists, in my opinion. I'm working on getting my boyfriend to admit he is one
Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Elite Fan

Damn DPs

Last edited by fetch; 10-20-2009 at 08:58 AM
fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Master Fan

Good you do that. We need as many as there is possible

You make me Feel like I'm living a Teenage Dream,
Let's runaway And don't ever look back
vicious_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Elite Fan

A quote (kind of) on this topic:

…A common response from other men, when my father told them what he was working on, was an assumption that he was writing some sort of defense of misogyny, a reaction he found startling. Another common response was surprise that such a book should be written by a man. To this, his answer was simple. “Why not?” he would say. “It was invented by men.

— Jenny Holland, on Jack Holland, author of Misogyny: The World’s Oldest Prejudice