Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

How did it go? Did you have to put him to bed?

Did you have lots of fun with him?

I haven't talked to my cousin very much in the past couple of days, which leads me to believe I have become too dependent on her-because it got me down.

I just have to find a good balance.

Kim
Old 08-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't have to put him to bed. When his parents left, he was very unhappy, so I promised him he'd see them before he went to bed that night, which calmed him down pretty quickly. His parents made it back right around his usual bedtime and he was yawning his head off towards the end there. So I'd go, "well, I did promise you I wouldn't put you to bed before they got home, but are you sleepy?" And he'd start waving his head in a No motion in the middle of the yawn.

I did have to change one heck of a poopy diaper, though. Yeurgh! But, hey, comes with the territory, I suppose.

Finding balance is important, but goodness gracious me, it's not easy, huh?
Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can’t remember the last time I changed any diaper. I never did for any neices or nephews! Maybe for a baby as a teenager babysitting but I can’t even remember! glad I didn’t have to as an adult!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was the one thing I had told my brother and sister-in-law before my nephew was born. "I'll babysit all you want, but I don't do diapers." But, I don't know, once you accept that it's part of the job... I haven't changed a whole lot mind you. It's still not my favourite part.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He sounds so determined to say awake. I can just picture a small child shaking their head and yawning. I'm glad they got home in time for bed.

on the diaper change. I remember those when babysitting, the awful ones.

Yeah, balance just sucks.

Momness was never for me. I couldn't handle that full time, plus a million and one dirty diapers.

Kim
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was pretty cute, the way he'd shake his head despite being clearing exhausted. But I get it, so I wasn't going to push it. Besides, I knew they were coming home not super late.

The other thing that was cute is that I changed a second non-poopy diaper. Before that, he was acting a little weirdly. Not super weird, but basically moving physically in a way that told me he probably needed a diaper change. So I asked him, "did you poo?" Big shake of the head. "Okay, did you pee then?" Looks away like there's nothing to see there. He's not even two and he's trying to lie his way out of something he doesn't want to do. That's a good omen, huh?

Unfortunately for him, his diapers have a line down the front of them that turns dark blue when he's peed. So, you know, it's pretty obvious even to newbies like myself that the diaper needs to be changed.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

at him trying to lie out of that. Kids are astounding.

Wow-that's handy with the diapers, the way they show with that line. Not being around kids, I don't know anything about them nowadays. I'd definitely need that kind of sign.

Kim
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Those new diapers are really handy.

You know how my mother tends to argue me down to doing things her way. It's especially worse when it comes to taking care of the shrimp since, you know, she has the benefit of being a mother and a nurse. Anyway, when we babysat him overnight a month or so ago, she put her hand in his diaper to check for dampness? Well, I guess they're really absorbant, because she was adamant he hadn't peed.

Except, what do you know, the line had turned blue!!! Ah-ah! Victory was mine! She couldn't argue me into being wrong on that one.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, current day diapers are way more absorbent now, since your mom was using them on you! I didn’t know they turned blue now either since I never am around checking kids diapers these days either!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's just a line at the front of it, not the whole diaper, that turns blue. It's yellow when you put it on and it turns blue when it's absorbed... well, pee.

I haven't ever babysat anyone else, so I did think there obviously had been improvements over time in the diaper department. I mean, I know my feminine hygiene products and I know those have improved over time, so it follows that improvements would be made in diapers, right? It's all about absorption, isn't it?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep, that's what it's all about. I haven't baby sat in forever, so it sounds like they've come a really long way.

I'm trying to mend the relationship with my Great Aunt and her family in Tennessee. They come to town at least 4 or 5 times a year, and I haven't seen them in almost 2 years.

Mom had an issue with them, so naturally as close as mom and I used to be, I took her side, and didn't question anything. Well now, after how I've been treated, I'm questioning everything she ever said was true.

Anyway, we're starting to keep in touch with cards, and I talked to her daughter (my cousin, who I grew up around) on the phone about a month ago. I don't have a lot of family left, and, well you know I'm terrified of being left alone.

Kim
Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, I'm really sorry to hear that your relationship with your mother has reached that stage. I know she's not the best version of herself, but that must suck for you. However, if it means that you've taken this opportunity to get closer to other family members, then that's a positive thing, I think.

The thing about family, though, is that it doesn't have to be blood. The best kinds are often "found families," which is hard to find for those of us with social anxiety. But there's always hope, right? Sometimes, even a stranger can show us amazing kindness at just the right moment.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, I just saw the post paragraph about what your mom did to find out of he had a wet diaper, and I am not surprised she completely believed she was right. Love that "victory is mine"

You're right-it is nice having other family members to talk to. You are absolutely right about found families, too.

Do you have any family time events coming up soon?

Kim
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

My mum called last night and, apparently, we're going over to her place tomorrow to celebrate my brother's birthday. So... yeah.

I'm happy to see them all, but I had important plans to do nothing and sleep in like mad tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like your plans much better.

Will you be there all day? Hopefully you'll get home early enough that you might get a little relaxation time, before preparation for the week.

Kim
Closed Thread   Post New Thread