Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't listen to a lot of music. I don't have music-playing devices except for my DVD player. So, I don't play a lot of music, but I like to play a little every day. And I've been listening to Leonard Cohen for weeks now. I have to say, it's helping. There's something incredibly soothing about a lot of his music.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sunny, music saved my life when I was in my late teens/early 20's, so I understand the power of it.

I'm glad it's helping you. Anything that can help that much, I'd definitely keep doing it. Is that your favorite artist, or someone whose music is just really comforting and calming right now?

Kim
Old 02-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Music is so unbelievably powerful. It does more than a lot of other things ever can.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I definitely agree. It changes my thoughts almost instantly, and there is always music to suit whatever I'm dealing with.

Kim
Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Elite Fan

During my teen years I was depressed a lot...James Taylor knew what is was like to be depressed. I enjoyed his story telling songs and the few uplifting songs about sunshine and positive things. I was a teen in the mid 1970's.

Music is a very strong influence on my moods!!!!! and
Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm having to reconsider my choices in "favourite" singers. When I was a teenager, it was a lot of pop, a lot of Top 40. The Mamas & The Papas, too, though, for some reason.

I liked Queen back then, too, though. Still love Queen. I think I will always love Queen. Leonard Cohen, I'll admit, I've only really gotten into since his passing. He's obviously been a presence in my life this whole time. My mother was born and raised in Montreal, so Leonard Cohen is a fact of life.

The thing is, Leonard Cohen really was a poet. The words of his songs are worth listening to. And you can interpret them any way you want. They're no simplistic. And they're great.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Queen were my first love and are still my favourite.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYoullBe (View Post)
I definitely agree. It changes my thoughts almost instantly, and there is always music to suit whatever I'm dealing with.
Same. It's universal like that.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^

I'm on the Queen bandwagon, too.

I grew up the in the 70's, so I love 70's music. The music that got me through though was 80's hair metal.

I will look up Leonard Cohen next time I have my computer set up so I can listen to You Tube on it.

Kim
Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

There's a chance you'll recognize Leonard Cohen's songs from other singers/movies.

Hallelujah alone has been sung by everyone and has appeared in a bagillion movie/TV shows.

But, these days, I've been listening to others. Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye, The Sisters of Mercy, Bird on a Wire, Who By Fire, etc.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Halleiujiah,.

I also enjoy people singing popular songs when they have a great voice and interpretation. Also their original songs.

I've copied the names of those songs, and I'm going to plug in my cord so I can watch/listen to You Tube later today and hear them.

Kim
Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Famous Blue Raincoat is also among my favourites.

At this point, I'm just gonna list them all.

It's just that I grew up with his more recent stuff and am only now discovering the awesomeness of his earlier material.

The thing is, he struggled with depression back then. And if you pay attention to the words, it's clear he did. But his songs are so beautiful that... I don't know. It makes it beautiful. It gives meaning to having a hard time. Not necessarily a meaning you can see, though.

I don't know. I just find the songs soothing, somehow.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Elite Fan

A lot of Queen's song are absolutely brilliant!!! And timeless!!! My daughter and I enjoy watching many of their videos!!! Fun to enjoy music with my daughter...she turned 29 yesterday and I am 60(as of last November 2017). I am not ashamed of my age or afraid of growing older...I am 60 years young.... Still feel like a teenager music wise!!! I like to listen to music much louder than my daughter and extra bass!!! If anyone gets in trouble for loud music in the house it is me.....most of the time I wear headphones and have it cranked up all the way and have excellent hearing.....even with my abuse..... Know I need to be careful with certain frequencies though...don't want to take my hearing for granted since I love music so much and hearing certain voices!!!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's cool that you listen to all of his songs, Sunny.

It is great that you can see, and understand, depression giving meaning to his songs.

Karen, it's good you're cautious with your hearing.

Kim
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

My mother was always so much on our case about the volume of music/TV/whatever else that she's still with me on that point.

But I do like to hear music to get me through a rough patch.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread