Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

A detailed description of what do you think of them
☆♥~Buffyverse_Lover16~♥☆ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nice to see this thread being lively.

I've always found it interesting when a storyline (movie) involved serial or mass murders. I also like watching 48 hours on TV.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amethyst* (View Post)
A detailed description of what do you think of them
Bit of a loaded question really, it differs on each person I guess.

I suppose, to put it simply - I obviously don't condone what those people have done, but I don't like being on just one side of things. I like to dig deep and try to understand the criminal from their point of view and really, I mean really comprehend their state of mind rather than just shrug it off as "they were just crazy." There is so much more to that and a lot of society just ignores it completely. That's the fun part, is figuring out all the psychology behind it and putting the real facts together. Often times I would find myself being able to relate to them in ways, and eventually with this and being so obsessed with human relationships is why I had to back off of the interest in all of it because it was unhealthy for myself when I was already quite depressed. It's hard to connect with others and make conversation when serial killers and the like is all you want to discuss and they think you are the one who is "crazy."

What about you? I'm sure I can probably relate to your thoughts about this all as well..
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins (View Post)
Bit of a loaded question really, it differs on each person I guess.

I suppose, to put it simply - I obviously don't condone what those people have done, but I don't like being on just one side of things. I like to dig deep and try to understand the criminal from their point of view and really, I mean really comprehend their state of mind rather than just shrug it off as "they were just crazy." There is so much more to that and a lot of society just ignores it completely. That's the fun part, is figuring out all the psychology behind it and putting the real facts together. Often times I would find myself being able to relate to them in ways, and eventually with this and being so obsessed with human relationships is why I had to back off of the interest in all of it because it was unhealthy for myself when I was already quite depressed. It's hard to connect with others and make conversation when serial killers and the like is all you want to discuss and they think you are the one who is "crazy."

What about you? I'm sure I can probably relate to your thoughts about this all as well..
Well, a month and a half after I was fired from a job, I tried to find a different direction in life. I got curious while watching documentaries up at the mountains. I only had contact with only my family, a boss/friend, and people on here. I can relate to your depression a bit since I have been experiencing loneliness especially at the last week of February of this year. I didn't even have a full time job back then, and repeated the same daily routines, only just to see my mom and dad around. I couldn't even see the rest of my family all that often. I would only see few once a week.
I can also relate to your obsession with serial killers. I kept on having the curiosity to get into their mind. I got curious of how they would get off on it as well. I tried to look in the childhood to see what really rattled their rope. It's like being in Criminal Minds. I had a hard early childhood that I might have been insubordinate with the law myself if I hadn't been saved. I fully understand why Gacy did what he did because of how his father intensely abused and ridiculed him. Gacy thought he wasn't good enough. As for the hidden homosexuality, his father treated him as if he was a sissy and made him feel bad about it.
Gary Ridgeway's mother acted like a prostitute, walking around in the nude.
Ted Bundy's mother practically lied to him about his childhood. He felt betrayed. Then this woman that he had fell in love with, used him. That was the last straw.

I had been called a Son of Sam groupie before on this website by a banned user.

Did you get scared after watching these?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can empathize with not seeing family, besides my parents and brother, I've only seen the rest of my family twice in my life.
I did the same, with looking into the childhood and adolescent years, etc to grasp their motives and how those around them shaped their lives.
I can also relate with being called a "groupie" (not on this website though) and much worse things extending to death threats because of my interest in the subject. At the time, most of my online friends abandoned me as well because of it so I looked to Tumblr instead where people and blogs dedicated to this extensive research were happy to talk to me about this sort of thing.

Scared after watching documentaries? I mostly read the books because some documentaries were not very reliable and some almost completely outdated with their information. I was never scared of them though. The only time I was scared was when they effected my life directly, when Columbine happened and my brother was in the school at the time.

PS you are welcome to PM me any time if you don't feel comfortable discussing something on here
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins (View Post)
I can empathize with not seeing family, besides my parents and brother, I've only seen the rest of my family twice in my life.
I did the same, with looking into the childhood and adolescent years, etc to grasp their motives and how those around them shaped their lives.
I can also relate with being called a "groupie" (not on this website though) and much worse things extending to death threats because of my interest in the subject. At the time, most of my online friends abandoned me as well because of it so I looked to Tumblr instead where people and blogs dedicated to this extensive research were happy to talk to me about this sort of thing.

Scared after watching documentaries? I mostly read the books because some documentaries were not very reliable and some almost completely outdated with their information. I was never scared of them though. The only time I was scared was when they effected my life directly, when Columbine happened and my brother was in the school at the time.

PS you are welcome to PM me any time if you don't feel comfortable discussing something on here
Thanks
The way the serial killers were shaped is sad.
It's as if people do not understand us and choose not to try There are reasons why these stories are told. Without these stories, we would be clueless. Would you like to follow my tumblr?
I was scared of being killed in my sleep by reading Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez. Then those feelings went away, then came back for a short period of time.

Thanks a lot

I didn't know that Jeffery Dahmer's former house was for sale.

Who do you think was the most intelligent serial killer?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree - I think there's a lot more to them than what most people think, but they choose to ignore it and call them insane instead of seeing them in a different light. I think there's a difference between idolizing and simply being interested, and a difference between excusing their actions and behavior and understanding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amethyst* (View Post)
There are reasons why these stories are told. Without these stories, we would be clueless.
Right? And why would so many people go to all the hard work of research, even years after these people have died or been locked away, write books on them and work on documentaries? If no one was interested, these things would not exist lol.

Sure, I'll follow your tumblr. I used to run a couple of true crime blogs, but one was deleted and the other I sort of abandoned. After I got something like 50-100+ messages a day on something I wasn't really interested in any more and no longer had the time for, I just left.

Most intelligent, that's tough. I guess I'll go with the Zodiac Killer, H. H. Holmes and Ted Bundy.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

People should really stop being so biased. It's like they think that you are a monster just by looking into the childhood Do people see me excusing abusive behavior on television? No!

If we didn't have these documentaries, police wouldn't even exist possibly. Then we would be in more danger if we didn't know what we were surrounded by.

I practically gave you my tumblr name over at Off Topic, if you haven't noticed. You'll be seeing some politics, pictures and articles on serial killers, TV show stuff, music stuff, and other stuff on your dashboard.

I think Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway are the most intelligent serial killers so far. David Berkowitz would probably have made it if he hadn't gotten a parking ticket and written so many letters.

Oh, I forgot to add Richard Kearney, Dennis Rader, and Edmund Kempler on the list of serial killers I've heard.

What did you think of Dennis Rader and Ted Bundy?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I never really understood why others thought that about people like us, but it used to bother me so much. Made a big difference in my life when I stopped caring about that.

You're right, without documentation, investigation, new methods etc. it would make things a lot more difficult when facing this sort of thing today if even more people in society ignored the facts of these cases.

It's been a longer amount of time since I read about Bundy than the others. and yeah, I think Ted Bundy was definitely one of the most intelligent ones. I know "psychopath" is generally affiliated with him, but I don't like using the word psychopath because it is not used by mainstream psychology and I just don't like excusing behavior as "psychopath" or "sociopath." That "psychopath checklist" thing seems sort of useless to me.. there have been people who might have a lot of characteristics on Hare's checklist but I wouldn't call them a psychopath.

Ed Kempler is one I've read about as well.

Raider, I only recently (and briefly) read about because I was trying to find some things on Billy the Kid and it led me to him..

and sorry, must have missed your tumblr if you don't mind posting it again
Old 04-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I find it better to stop caring what people think about you period. Why waste your time doing so?

Society would be so clueless and be in more danger if there wasn't any information on the dangers of society. They wouldn't even have pre-college skills if they were interested in the field.

I personally want to be an investigator some day.

I learned about another term for both "psychopath" and "sociopath" is antisocial personality disorder in psychology.

Ted Bundy knew to get rid off the evidence and the things that police would check up on. I didn't know what went on in his head when he bit a girl's butt cheek.

What are your thoughts on Dennis Rader so far??

My tumblr username is joshradnorloverxericszmandalover

You may call me Mary

You are nice!!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep.

That's cool you want to be an investigator, I used to want to do that or be the crime scene investigator or profiler. Do you like shows like Criminal Minds, CSI, etc?

I've read about ASPD as well. I like it much better than the world psychopath..

Yeah, that is why I think Bundy was one of the really smart ones. He was quick, played "good citizen" and lied his way through a lot.

I read a brief story of Rader's life, I'm not quite sure how accurate it was. (Usually I take the time to get good sources before reading on people because there are so many published lies out there it's ridiculous..) He seemed like he had an average life until about the early 70s when he started letting his mind drift into deep fantasies. I noticed a lot of people like to call him a psychopath.

I followed you with my main blog where I pretty much only post photography. I didn't used to (which can be seen via my archive though I deleted a lot since I first made that blog). My personal blog is "xeurs" but I've also been posting mostly photography on lately, lol. I won't post it on here, but I can send you the link to my old crime blog.

Thank you Mary, nice to meet you. I'm Chris.

Take care
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

It is cool!! Thanks!! If you read my signature, I do watch CSI. I also watch Criminal Minds, Rizzoli&Isles, Monk, Bones, CSI: Miami, NCIS, real life crime shows, Hawaii 5-0, I want to watch Hannibal.

Ted Bundy was his own lawyer. I am surprised he took advantage of a court hearing by marrying a woman. I can't believe he has a kid.

Rader made me want to walk into a vacant house with a gun. He even made me want to stay the night over at somebody else's house. I wonder where he would get the term BTK?

I followed you back, if you hadn't noticed They are nice photographs I would like it if you'd send me a link to your old crime blog!!

How did you get your username? It is nice to meet you as well You also post with me over at the Off Topic board. You are welcome!

Be safe!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No problem.
I used to watch CSI (mostly Miami) but gradually stopped in more recent years. Never seen much of the others you mentioned besides Criminal Minds and Hannibal.

Yeah, it was weird to hear that Bundy was married and even had a daughter.

Thanks

I know researching these kinds of people has made me have interesting thoughts I probably would never have thought about before, so I can relate to your experiences with thoughts like those, with what you said about Rader. Does anyone know why he got the name BTK?

I got my username for a couple of reasons - someone from the 19th century that is distantly related to my family that I spent a lot of time researching had the last name Collins. Second, because I have been living in Fort Collins, Colorado and the town means a lot to me.

Take care,
Chris

Last edited by Collins; 04-27-2014 at 11:07 PM
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hey! You didn't give me a link to your old blog. Did I do something wrong?

Why did you stop with CSI: Miami?

I post over at the CSI board everyday and plan to mod there in the future.

I wonder how his daughter is doing knowing that her father is a serial killer???

How much have you read about Son of Sam? Do you think it was delusions or mind corruption that made him kill???

You are welcome Chris

I hope that I am not making you feel uncomfortable by my friendliness. I just like that someone online actually likes talking about my interests!! Most people push it aside to talk about fictional stuff all the time. Do you know what I mean?

Maybe it was Rader's methods that created the term "BTK".

I wish to visit Colorado!

You have a lot of thought

Have a lovely night and stay safe,
Mary
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ah, sorry I completely forgot. I will message it to you after I post this message.

I did not always watch it every week already, it was just a show I would watch when I saw on. In criminology we learned a lot of the methods used in CSI are for Hollywood, not anything they really might do in the field, and I just became uninterested after that. That's great you want to be a mod for that board, I wish you luck.

What I heard was that his wife and daughter changed their names and moved to a confidential location, but also that they are doing well now. I can't imagine though, what it feels like to be the daughter of someone like him. Did you read Ann Rule's book, Stranger Beside Me? It is a really good read and thoroughly researched. I thought it was so interesting to learn that Bundy used to work on the suicide hotline along side her saving lives when he lived in Washington. Kind of weird, right?

I have not read enough to make a decision on Berkowitz, I apologize.

Oh no, please don't think that! You are not making me uncomfortable at all, you are fine. And yes, I know exactly what you mean. It can be tiresome listening to just fiction all the time. It is refreshing to have an intellectual conversation on something.. more meaningful, if you will. I tend not to talk much fiction with people these days.

Colorado is a really beautiful, friendly place.

Thanks, you as well.
Chris
Reply   Post New Thread