Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Annie's a saint.

A saint I'm gonna need to recruit at some point towards the end of this month because supplies are gonna start running low around here...

I mean, that's part of it, too. For reasons I can't exactly explain to myself, I have a real problem with asking people for help. Not to the point where I don't, mind you. Oh, no. I do ask for help when I need it. But, for whatever reason, it bugs me that I "have to" do it. So, naturally, my hackles go up immediately when someone else suggests I should ask someone for help. Even when said person is right.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i'm the same. i have boxes stored at my friend's place. she offered her help at the time. long story short, my stuff had to move while i was in Ireland. she said it's fine but i still feel bad for it. stuff has been at her place for almost 2 years now...
Old 03-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

After two years, she's used to those boxes by now. If she ever has to move, or has a child (she's not the one who just had the baby shower, right?), then maybe start to worry. But, otherwise? Your boxes are providing a surface on which to put clothes to dry.

I have offered my "library" (my second bedroom that only houses my books, but otherwise serves as a storage room) for storage to plenty of people. No one's taken me up on it, though.

Legally speaking, though... does this mean she now owns your stuff? When does that go into effect? Just kidding, obviously.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:22 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

actually it's the same friend who is expecting her baby. they have enough room in the house but she did mention that eventually they might move to be closer to her bf's work (same company but moved office).

How many books do you have in your library?

haha
Old 03-06-2021, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wish them luck on the move. Not to be a total Debbie Downer (since I know how what I'm about to say affects you as well) but it seems the real estate market is particularly insane right now.

As for books... I have a fair amount of them. Hundreds and hundreds. Fortunately, I also have the bookcases to house them in, so we're not really talking about hoarding here. But hence the "library", if you will. Wall space for book storage is pretty high on my list of requirements when apartment hunting. I'd say condo hunting, but I'm not, so...
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i know! i want to buy my own place. but i'm having mixed feelings while the prices keep going up. on one hand: i want the space for all the obvious reasons. on the other hand: although i know there's enough work for me to stay on the team but still, being contractual could be a roadblock for mortgage. also wtf nowadays a new construction 1-bedroom condo not even near downtown can go for $400k and it's "market price". beyond the price tag, it's also not worth what it really is (ex: the raw ceilings, the cheap material, small). all this make my mom's place a "bargain" bought 3 years ago for 50k less in a better location.

wow! i can imagine it's a requirement when looking for a new place.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I was watching a show today and they were talking about how some real-estate developers/cities are rethinking mall parking lots because people don't go to malls so much anymore because of online shopping... which, have they been to a mall recently? Anyway, in Quebec, the governmental body in charge of our provincial retirement fund has apparently invested heavily in malls over the years as a secure investment.

Long story short, there are big plans (apparently) to build condo towers in places like the Fairview Pointe-Claire and around another mall in Brossard, and obviously retool the whole area to make it less depressing than having a view on a mall. And a bunch of pannelists on the show I was watching were wondering who would want to live in that.

And I'm not dying to love in a condo tower, but something's gonna have to give with my living situation sooner or later. With rents rising exponentially faster than my salary, retirement's looking improbable... and I'm gonna hit a wall at some point. I'm already feeling my age in terms of all the technologies being brought in at work. And with the real-estate market being what it is, and not looking like it's about to change anytime soon, the problem becomes where to move to.

Because I'm sure I could afford rent in some towns, but without a car (or a driver's licence), the distance between house and work and then house and food/pharmacy/whatever else a person needs becomes a problem.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

yeah totally "where to" is the question.

i was reading about how people offer 10-15% more than the asked price to stand out from the other offers. a lot of demand in housing! it's crazy.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

And as I can't really afford anything before you had those 10-15%... a lot of this looking around feels pointless.

I hope things calm down a little, when this Covid thing calms down some.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:34 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

let's hope so
Old 03-11-2021, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, alright.

So, my day was depressing and stressful. Good to know I wasn't thevonly one.

Hang in there.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

f--- what a day. been asked for follow-up a lot. i think it's the end of the financial year maybe. they are gathering data.

TGIF!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's the end of the fiscal year at my job as well. So any time we have to address the accounting department... well, you're better off trying to find a solution yourself.

Not that they're especially quick to respond normally.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:56 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

stressful time!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Yes. I was wondering if you've seen "For Heaven's Sake"? Here in the U.S. it's currently on Paramount+. I think that it's on CBC in Canada.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread