Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved of the sky (View Post)
Has anyone been a part of an actual book club before?
Never in person, always online!

Easier that way as more can participate because of being in different time zones!
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

Listening to audiobooks and reading the physical book at the same time :

Reading/Listening:

Cinder - Marissa Meyer
The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater
The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
The School for Good and Evil - Soman Chainani

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That’s a lot of storylines and characters to keep track of!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

My trick is always to read one fiction book I've read before (because I love rereading), one fiction book I've never read before and then mix non-fiction according to mood.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:37 PM
Master Fan

I love reading two books at once, but one is always a reread. I don't think I could take in that much new info!

A friend lent me her DVD CDs of the audiobooks for All Souls Trilogy (A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night, Book of Life), so I ripped them to my computer iTunes for easier listening and tracking, but I follow along with the book and they make mistakes...add words or miss words and I find it so irritating!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Why are you putting yourself through that, then?
Old 04-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

My OCD won't let me stop! I started, so I have to finish!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Can't you tell your OCD that you deserve better than that pain?

I mean, I'm not against listening to the audio version. But you have to think of it like an interpretation of the text. Kinda like a movie version, only audio and closer to the actual text.

And if you can't do that... I mean, who needs enemies when you can do that to yourself?
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Master Fan

Well..I do like listening now, more than music, when I'm doing laundry, dusting, etc..

It's like reading ahead...

But at the same time, it takes 40 minutes to read a bloody chapter via audiobook when I could be three chapters in...all the 'pauses' between phrases...it takes too bloody long too, I don't know how people do it on a regular basis...
Old 04-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I tend to go through cooking phases. I live alone and tend to cook in large batches every three months or so? So, when I'm in a cooking "periods," I can spend hours and hours in the kitchen.

I'm not a quick cook, and I enjoy cooking, so it takes me ages and it's fine.

But the point is that I'm in there for all my free time for at least two weeks (since I have a day job and all that).

So listening to audio stuff is a great way to pass the time while you're doing the kitchen thing.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Master Fan

I live alone too. I tend to cook in batches, so I can freeze meals? Making a portion for one from a recipe is just not going to happen!
Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I do the same. I don't know how to cook for one. Besides, you can't buy ingredients for one (and, if you could, I'd bet anything they'd wind up being triple the price anyway), so why bother?

I bake recipes for 4 or 6 or even 8 or 10, then put them in bags so that I can freeze them flat and have room for even more in the freezer. And I end up having a varied menu year-round with healthy food I almost always like (I'm a little too experimental for my own good, even though that makes it sound way cooler than it is in reality). Since I'm the only one who eats it, there are few complaints, so it works out.

And, while I prep, cook, and clean, I listen to all kinds of things. Usually on my computer since I'm technologically retarded and YouTube is, like, right there.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Master Fan

I listen from my computer too. My living room is connected to my kitchen, open space, so it just makes sense.

My mom recently bought "The Tattooist of Auchwitz" and is almost done, so I'm going to read next.

It does sounds soooo goode! Based on true events of this mans' grandfather who's job it was too tattoo the numbers on the forearms of the Jewish prisoners.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

That sounds like an interesting book.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

Finally got The Tattooist of Auschwitz.
Reply   Post New Thread