Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lenin definitely had the cult of personality going on for him. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to know to understand why they keep him around and also why it's pointless for me to try and understand it. I live in historically Catholic country. We have all kinds of relics from this saint or that one. People like to hang onto parts of "special" people. It really doesn't take that much of a jump to get from that to having the man who brought Russia out of the Middle Ages mummified, whatever the rest of the world may think about him.

And, yeah, the book and the movie The Hunting Ground cover the same topic. I'm not sure if the movie aired here (if it did, I missed it), so I wanted to at least read the book.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM
I am a basketball genius!

You might be able to find it on Netflix.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't have Netflix.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

Source: wheresmybubble

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's true. I'm loving this cookbook I'm reading.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Cool. Are you gong to be checking out Jim Comey's new book? I will at some point, though I'm still getting through Fire & Fury. I did finish Lenin: A new Biography. There's so much to read these days with the graphic novels I read as well. I read Katy Tur's book earlier this year & it was solid. Michael Isakoff's Russian Roulette: The inside story of Putin's war on America and the election of Donald Trump is another I'll read in a few months hopefully.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Cool.

I'm loving my new Jill Mansell book: You and Me, Always.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Oh. I don't know of her. What type of writing does she do?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

I guess you'd call it chick lit. I sorta hate that expression, because it's very reductive. Jill Mansell writes novels about love, family, friendships and people doing their best in difficult circumstances. And they're funny, too.

So, you know, they make for a lovely distraction when life generally sucks.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Master Fan

I think I need to re-read the Twillight books, again. (don't judge me)

I picture such a different guy (than Robert Pattinson) when I read them.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'd be hard-pressed to judge anyone, since I read them a few times over myself.

I don't judge people on what they judge. I don't want to be judged, so I don't judge. Also, I read what I like and not everyone likes the same stuff, so what's the point of thinking less of someone because they read something that doesn't interest you?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

I'm used to getting the rolleyes when I say that I've read some trendy book. being over 40 and really liking the YA books is sneered at in my family.

On the plus side, though...I was closer to one of my nephews, who read the Harry Potter books and the Twillight series when I did, and we could discuss.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m fkan (View Post)
I'm used to getting the rolleyes when I say that I've read some trendy book. being over 40 and really liking the YA books is sneered at in my family.

On the plus side, though...I was closer to one of my nephews, who read the Harry Potter books and the Twillight series when I did, and we could discuss.
that's what happened to me my niece was 10 when the 6th part came out and I read the books in english before they even were released in germany.. the kid was asking me wholes in my brain to just know what happens..

icon by Daggi
Old 04-23-2018, 04:25 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
that's what happened to me my niece was 10 when the 6th part came out and I read the books in english before they even were released in germany.. the kid was asking me wholes in my brain to just know what happens..
We got the last book on the same day, and read it in my living room. I was reading mine, and he was reading his. "Did you get to this part, yet?" we read all day! It was so awesome!! It's a great memory for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've read the Harry Potter books in English so often that I started re-reading them in Spanish ahead of my trip to Cuba last January, to refresh my notions of Spanish. Because I know the story backwards and forwards, I didn't trip over the vocabulary words I didn't recognize but, instead, learned new words and remembered others I knew already.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread