Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Supreme Fan

The Backpacking/Hikers thread #1: Because there's nothing like it in the world

Hey everyone,
So, I looked around and didn't see a thread like this so I thought I'd go on and post one. I was wondering if anyone else around here was an avid (or even an occasional) backpacker/hiker like I am. I've only been backpacking once, but I hike regularly, normally three miles two or three times a week, and now that I've graduated from college and have a little more freedom and a little more time and money, I plan on doing a lot more backpacking. Actually, I'm hoping to plan a trip in the next couple weeks before it gets too hot.
So, anyway, I thought it would be fun to make a thread where we could talk about backpacking and hiking. If anyone's interested, please feel free to post. And if this is a repeat of a thread that already exists, sorry I missed it

Backpacking/Hiking/Camping Links

The Ready Store~ Has all the freeze-dried food options a backpacker/camper could possibly want and it's better priced here than at most camping stores. Also a survival store, they sell very nice pre-made medkits that would be great for your next camping or hiking trip just in case something happens.

The Backpacker ~Contains reviews on just about everything. Gear and trails are reviewed by people who have actually used the equipment and been on the trails. There are also great articles for beginners and advanced hikers alike, as well as a forum to ask questions and a trip forum to plan an outing with a group of people who have the same interests you do.

Sierra Club Trails ~ The Sierra Club trails site has a huge catalog of hiking and backpacking trails from people who have actually been on them. Kind of a wikipedia of trails, but with great information, equipment lists, and advice for hiking the trails. It's really just a great overall site for anyone wanting to pick a trail and do some hiking or backpacking. Categorizes the trails by state, which is really nice if you don't know trail names in your area.

Last edited by TheAngel; 05-08-2010 at 07:59 AM
TheAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cool thread. We do have a nature thread but not a hiker's one.

I wasn't that fond of hiking when I was a kid but back in '08 I had a job up in West Yellowstone where hiking became a natural part of my day (even though I didn't have the body or physicality for it at the time). Now though I'll go on the occasional hike or so.

I've been working out a lot to keep my body in shape and I can hike for longer periods of time than I used to.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I saw the nature thread but thought it would be fun to have one where we could just talk about backpacking and hiking. Gear and trails and experiences and the like. That's cool that you had a job at a park. I wouldn't mind doing that at some point. I think it would be fun since I really love hiking and backpacking. I need a couple more pieces of gear before I can hike on my own, though. I need a better stove (I'm thinking about a canister stove instead of a traditional one. Mine has just never worked that well), and a lighter mess kit (since I want to start getting into the ultralight backpacking stuff), and I need a bivy tent and a better sleeping pad so I'm looking at maybe $400 of equipment before i can really start doing some serious backpacking on my own, but by the fall I should be able to start backpacking some on my own.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow serious backpacker hu, that's cool!

I'm just more of a day hiker. I usually carry a day pack with 3 bottles of water, four at the most, a bottle of gatorade and some extra food.

I recently went on my own solo camping trip a few weeks ago so I got extra gear such as a whistle and compass as well as a small but durable flashlight and batteries.

My camera and a notepad and pen are always a must for me since I'm one of those types that likes to reflect on things.

And always some first aid kit things since I'm prone to triping a lot on trails

One time my dad and I went hiking and I must have fallen at least 3 times or more.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Supreme Fan

Sounds like my dad and I. One of us are constantly getting hurt on camping trips. And, normally, we take one of our dogs with us so we're always getting pushed out of our sleeping bags by a cold dog sometime before dawn. Last time we went backpacking together and I woke up with the dog leaning over me and shivering so I just had to scoot over and she crawled in with me. It was pretty funny.
Right now I do mostly day hikes. We have a nice little park nearby that has several loop trails, one three miles and the others two miles, that I try to hike fairly regularly, though weather and timing have conspired against me this season so far.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Elite Fan

Glad you started this thread...

My husband is really into hiking... He splurged this past Christmas on an ultralight tent and light gear.... It's hard to keep track

He and our son went last year and hiked part of the Appalachian Trail... They're gonna go back and do some more of it this year...

I'm sure at some point I'll go along, but the older I get, the more particular I am about being comfy when sleeping!
Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Fan

I love hiking and backpacking.

In fact I'm off to Italy in June to backpack as much of the country as I can.

My boyfriend is an avid hiker and backpacker. He did the Appalachian trail last year, hiking from Georgia all the way to northern Virginia. He went with a bunch of people and all their backpacks were like 60-70 pounds and his was 45. He's a light weight packer.

Anyways, my boyfriend gets all his stuff on this website for really cheap, I'll ask him what it is because I can't remember and I'll post it on here or PM you.

| JOIN the mentalist| icon
Kai_Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, that's awesome. I'm trying to get lighter. The last time my dad and I backpacked, my pack weighed about 40lbs but we had to carry in out water and our tent is pretty heavy. I also have an older sleeping pad that I really don't like and it weighs a ton.
I may be moving to Charlotte, NC in the next couple of months (depending on a job and which city offers me the job first) so I'll be really close to the AT and I really want to hike it at least some. At some point, maybe after I retire, I'd love to hike the entire thing, but for now, I'll be happy with some long weekend trips.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Total Fan

I would love to backpack one of these days. I've only been hiking the times we went camping. It's amazing how beautiful nature is

"What I need is the dandelion in the spring, only Peeta can give me that."-Peeta/Katniss
MBfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBfan19 (View Post)
I would love to backpack one of these days. I've only been hiking the times we went camping. It's amazing how beautiful nature is
Yeah, it really is. And when you backpack, you can get back away from people and see some really cool stuff. My dad remembers seeing a baby deer when he was hiking in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee, and I've seen quite a few animals, including a copperhead snake in Alabama when I was hiking with my dad one time. It's really awesome, all this cool stuff we have in our back yards.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Elite Fan

While growing up, our family went camping during the summer and went on day hikes. We went backpacking when I was 10. that was in the late 1960s. We lived in California and had lots of places available. Lots of choices. Anyway, We rode to our campsite by horses, had 4 pack mules carrying out tent, kerosene lamps, campstoves, food,etc. It was very rustic, no outhouses, toiletpaper,etc. After several days, it began to rain. Rained really hard day and night for about 48 hours. We decided to hike back the ten miles to the campoffice. We each had to carry our own backpack that about 10-15 pounds. Since I was only 9 1/2, I think my backpack was just under 10 pounds and my parents close to 15 pounds. It was a spectacular hike back to the office. So nice to really get away! Of course there weren't cellphones in the 1960s. No porable TV/DVD players etc.
Some of the workers with packing mules retrieved our stuff while we waited.

Last edited by *KindKennen*; 05-04-2010 at 03:05 PM
*KindKennen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Supreme Fan

So, I'm trying to find a new, good stove for backpacking. Does anyone have any stoves they use when they're backpacking/camping that they like? If so, what do you like about them?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, I put some links in the opening threat for everyone. Just a little backpacking and hiking information for people who are interested in it. Enjoy!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Never been but would to go hiking
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Supreme Fan

I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I'm applying to graduate school at the moment but I've decided that if I don't get in, I'm going to plan a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail to start June of 2012. So, I figure this thread is going to be a great resource. Anyone planning any backpacking or hiking trips anytime soon? I know it's fall and is getting cold, but sometimes, with a fire and a heavy sleeping bag and tent, it's nicer to camp in the cold.
Reply   Post New Thread