Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know the whole Xerox thing, at least Apple got it working with their first OS years before Windows got a proper GUI. Much like what Windows are doing with touch now. Sure they have touch in Win7 but all the experts say it's no where as good as iOS from Apple and other dedicated mobile touch systems. The CEO was on Click last week and tried to defend Win7 but you (and the presenter) could see he was clutching at straws.

Yes I know about the $150M stock by but from memory is was a small percentage like 5%, it also worked on both sides as many people use the Mac and Microsoft needed the costumes for office and other software.

ETA - Clint I'm thinking of getting one of these for my desk
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by lancer1993; 01-19-2011 at 10:29 PM
Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Elite Fan

Windows had touch in XP too Craig, they had tablet PCs running on XP as far back as the late 1990's. Touch devices are not new they also go back further for other brands - just saying is all. I mean, CentreLink (Formerly CES/Social Security) had touch screens from 1996.

You are too much of a fanboi Craig, need to get out more... Also get some 'action' while out there.

Did you blast the DVD drive while opened up with a can of air? My can of compressed air came with a long thin straw much like WD-40 does, to reach those confined tight areas. Use that on the cogs on both sides of the insides of the tray and all around too, then also try and blast any dust from the lens too.

How are the roads and airports for mail atm in your neck of the QLD woods Craig? Do you receive mail every day?

Last edited by Camibra; 01-20-2011 at 03:36 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The early touch screens at centrelink were slow and unreliable, besides the UI was customized with bigger buttons. I've used the touch PCs with Win7 in stores and unless you have a big screen and set it to a low DPI (bigger buttons) it's clumsy.

Besides with windows having touch so long and still haven't made a decent tablet PC that people bought, then Apple comes along and changes the market in 12 months or less, reminds me of the iPod and iPhone
Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Elite Fan

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that at-least they released such devices when no one else were and did it a long time ago. Have you tried MS Surface yet Craig? I am sure you'd be impressed by that. It is far above W7 touch interface and other brands who make touch interface gadgets. It is far more than a touch screen. Also, you tried Kinect yet? It as I have said for years now, is like turning any tv into a touch screen and you don;t need to touch the screen. That is where it will be at, if you are unsure then re-watch Minority Report Craig. Tom Cruise was not touching a screen he was touching the air, this is what you do with Kinect, I find it very responsive when I used it. Not just for games either. When will Apple bring out a device that 'looks and acts the same' as Kinect?

The CentreLink screens ALWAYS hit the thing I clicked on when I touched it... The size of those icons were perfect for finger tips which are what you touch with. Phones are too-small to do the same thing especially if you make the icons smaller. I know the guy at work gets pissed off at his Apple mobile phone that always screws up words due to the too-small buttons. Again, there were better and bigger in storage and formats to play on other devices before the first Ipod came out, as with the phone. Research, you'll find some interesting things out there when you remove the horse blinkers from the sides of your eyes.

MS have many more important things to keep track of than a few toys such as tablets and PMPs, they run the world's governments for their computer systems are MS. Kind-of an important thing to maintain when you think about it for half a minute, or even 2 seconds...

There have been Android tablets before the Apple one you realize... Look outside the box and think different, there are quite a few types of touch OS out there atm, RIM is the main one BTW, has been for some time now.

What do you have to say about Apple embracing human slavery at Foxconn? The only thing MS I have bought is my XBOX360 which was not made there.

Are you getting snail mail?

Have you tried to fix the DVD burner as I have explained? It will work if done correctly.

Last edited by Camibra; 01-20-2011 at 04:25 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Haven't got an air can so not cleaned the DVD yet.

Not tried the Kinect as I don't have an xBox.

As for touch there are 3rd party companies adding touch surfaces to Apple products, the laptop and I remember a few years ago seeing/using the lamp style iMac (the one that had the dome base) at the Brisbane Motor Show. It worked good but even that was touchy (pardon the pun) but this used a 3rd party program to work. Haven't seen/used anything like that in a while so I'm sure the software runs better on newer fast models now.

The one thing most of the 'i' products from Apple has going for them is they have an x factor making them wanted by most. It's like Alfa cars, they may not work most of the time (according the Top Gear) but true car fans would never give them up and defend them always.

BTW doesn't the xBox use the same IBM CPUs that used to be found in Mac's or was that Sony Playstation?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Elite Fan

They have CPU and GPU's. Not sure of their brand. I prefer the better AMD though. Do you mean XBOX or XBOX360, they are very different, it is like as you said a while back comparing OSX to the most recent version of OSX with updates.

I meant use it at someone else's house like Netty has done. I took my Kinect to my work and all of the Apple fanboi's mocked it for all of 4 minutes then loved it and praised it. Was funny to sit back and watch their backflip.

I always thought it did look too-WIndoze-ish... How Google Chrome's logo evolved...

Get this as a lamp instead, much more 'alluring' plus the creep factor is high...

I'd like this:

XBOX360 lamp.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah not sure about the lamp Maybe I could get one of those 'lamp' iMac and just have the LCD set on what ever color I want for light

I love the Kinect idea and can already see them being being built into all future laptops and even the top of LCD's for desktop computers like some have camera built in now. But I really think we'll see combo of touch/kinect and mouse/keyboard in future systems.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Elite Fan

So yes to you getting snail mail daily or no? Want to know if it is okay to send the SDs...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Clint we never really stopped getting mail, it might have been slow coming out of Brisbane but really a non issue in this area.

That said in Brisbane and other flooded areas some post offices did go under and mail was lost.

Is playing up again?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

iPhone vs. Android | Nielsen Wire
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

Well thats an interesting lamp

We're having a family get together tomorrow, going to see some of my relos that i haven't seen in ages.

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Elite Fan

Nielsen are the old and outdated inaccurate way of getting stats. That is the old way that Ozzie TV got stats on its tv shows and network share. They had 1000 'random' people around Oz with set top boxes and whenever they stayed on a show all the way through that would be a + for that show, add up the stats of all the 1000 boxes then divide by 1000 to do a dodgy guestimation of how all of Oz sees tv shows, the tv shows on which networks they are on and there you go - bad stats. Besides, that pie chart is Q1 of last year, the stats I gave are the literal total sales of all phones globally which run different OS that are Smart-phones and was updated to the final Q4 in November last year. LG had the first 16:9 touch screen 3G phone btw, 6 months before i1 came out. The Nividia phone I showed you an LG version of is a basic model too and is still over 4x the power of the best Smart-phones in the world. If you want the best Super-phone you have to order it directly from Nividia and they custom the casing and its internals plus OS for your specs. Pretty-awesome! Been doing that since before i1 came out BTW, just thought you'd like to know.

It is the same way of if you wish to portray your favourite country as being more wealthier you go by population such as, Luxembourg is THE richest country (per capita) - that country has a few thousand people so even if the country had $1B-AU then by 'per capita' stats they'd appear richer than Oz which let's say has $100B to its name yet has 200x the population - that cash divided amongst us = less than the $1B divided out among a few thousand Luxumbourgians... So that is skewed inaccurate graph, yes. They are the richest country in the world yet the richest country in the world by doing real stats is (I am unsure which is richest by mean wealth when removing debt) the one that literally has THE most money total, not by the population then divide that then try and compare with others. Craig, that is what the Nielsen stats you linked to is.

Home-made projection touch screen that bends 90* running on W7.

This one is what Steven Speilberg borrowed a prototype of Kinect from MS in the 2002 film 'Minority Report'.

Yes Craig, this video was run on a Mac. There are versions for Ubuntu, W7 and Mac to use the Kinect - he is simply using one of those for his experiments.

Not seen them in how long Net?

Last edited by Camibra; 01-21-2011 at 02:53 AM
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Obsessed Fan

No haven't seen them in a long time.
We used to all get together on Boxing Day at our granparents place but both of them have been gone for a long time now and the old house isn't even in the family anymore

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The first one is how I pictures computers would go ever since ST TNG first aired, took them long enough, at least it's not the 24th century

I'm sure in the future they will make a home version that can be easily put onto any desk in the home or office. Combine that with gestures and voice and we'll have systems that anyone can easily use no mater how useless they are with computers.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Elite Fan

Kinect has gestures and voice control... plus facial/voice recognition. It can hear your voice in a crowd of people talking and only play/read what you are saying or asking the Kinect to do for you. The way you and all other Smart phone users with other OS's do when moving your finger left- right or vice-versa to flick through a list of things, is what you can do with Kinect but you are swiping through the air with your hand and arm to the screen and it reacts perfectly in tune with your actions. Touch screen without touching the screen as I said 2 years ago.

Last edited by Camibra; 01-21-2011 at 04:21 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread