Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
I was feeling anxious today because I felt like I couldnt get things done
You'll get to things. I understand that anxiety. Lists help me, because then I don't get anxious I'm going to forget things...so I don't feel I have to get absolutely everything done right away.

Sunny, I wish I'd thought to do the walking. I went for drinking instead. I am glad it helped, and I understand that anxious energy would have been even more stressful if you didn't do that.

Claire, that's great it helped you walking, too.

I used to walk a lot. With my back, and hip, so far my Dr. only wants me walking 5 minutes at a time. I can do that a few times a day.

Kim
Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think writing down what you have to do is actually essential in combating anxiety about getting it all done.

Because, once you get that information out of your head and onto unbiased paper, you're better able to put things in "order" of urgency or importance. Some things are always far more immediate than others.

You can also break bigger things into smaller, more manageable tasks that way.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I do that a lot-breaking things down into smaller pieces. That way I know where to start, and what to do, step by step.

Kim
Old 08-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm a big fan of small victories, too. You attack the larger task by getting a little of it done and it makes you feel better.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Another good thing about that kind of list-it reminds me that I have taken steps to get things done.

So, when I start getting anxious, I can keep reminding myself.

So, I'm sitting here with an anxious feeling, about repeatedly calling a shop that was supposed to get a part in for me. They're not calling back. But here I am, worrying they're going to get upset with me. Even though they are there to serve customers.

I guess cause it's the only place in town I can get the right filter, and only 2 people work there, and one is the owner.

Kim
Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Going on holiday with my other half and flying always makes me anxious.

Its not the notion of flying, but leaving in time for the airport, packing enough, and for it all to fit in the baggage, the airport security, the scanning. Then the flight, and getting settled. Once I'm there, I know I'll be fine.

My other half knows I get a bit nervous. I organised everything today, transport to the apartment, boarding cards and documentation. Funny but being responsible for that stuff has helped put me at ease, he said he'll help me on the day itself so it can run as smooth as possible.

Kim - shops get really busy, perhaps they just didn't have time to call you. I am sure once you call them, they'll be happy to help you, even if you are just checking up on it.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ Remember that, if you forget something, you more than likely can buy a replacement for it once you are wherever you're going. Although I always keep a list, just to calm myself down once I'm packing to come back, so I know I haven't forgotten to bring anything back.

Also, unless you really leave it to the last minute, you won't miss your plane. If you're still in the customs queues when they're boarding, they will let you move ahead. And that's assuming you leave it really late, which doesn't sound like you will.

Queues are intimidating. But you won't be alone. Good luck!

A big source of anxiety at work was taken off my shoulders today. There are still other major causes of stress, but it was a relief to get rid of one. I call them "road apple" files. I don't know if that expression translates, so let me know.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I honestly think it will be fine because I am VERY organised, but its just the paranoia. Thank you Sunny.

Its always good when one of your anxieties are taken off your shoulders
Old 08-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Don't thank me, thank my cousin. She's the genius who got me on the idea of keeping the list around.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Theresa, I understand that. I am sure you will be able to handle anything that comes up regarding your flight. I think being with someone who is supportive of you, and understanding, will really help.

Being so organized has to be a huge help. Trust yourself.

Sunny, no, "road apples" doesn't translate, at least not for me, so please tell what it means.

Either way, I'm glad it was one big thing taken off your mind.

So, I finally reached the store owner. He was out sick when the truck came in Thursday, so the shop was closed. It was yesterday when I reached him. He said he'd call me when he found the filter, but he didn't call back. I really don't want to go through the next few days, or possibly next Thursday, without my fan.

That may not make sense, but if I don't have my fan running, constantly, I feel like I won't be able to breathe-hence, the anxiety.

Kim
Old 08-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
I'm a big fan of small victories, too. You attack the larger task by getting a little of it done and it makes you feel better.
So true! It's the baby steps that lead you through, not sprinting!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Kim, a road apple is horse poop. Because it's round-ish in its shape, I guess. And, when I was growing up anyway, people still rode horses out on the country roads where I grew up. So you would cross "road apples" every now and again.

I completely understand why you need that fan and I hope you call them back if they haven't called you yet. Play dumb, if you have to. "I thought I might have missed your call back, so sorry to bother you."

Here's the thing, though. This is an experience that shows you that you have the capability of getting through periods of high anxiety. So that the thing that is making this an awful experience for you is the lack of faith you have in yourself.

And, believe me, I'm the first one to know that it's nearly impossible to get on top of your anxiety when you feel like you can't breathe. So when I'm telling you that you're the one making this bad for yourself, that's as much as a reminder for myself as it is trying to be there for you.

So be kind to yourself. You will get through this. Try to be as calm as you can be under difficult circumstances.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

One thing it took a while for me to learn when I first was dealing with all this anxiety was that I can't control it, and I had to stop personally punishing myself for that. I was ashamed that I was like I was until I saw how many struggle with it.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

okay, thanks for explaining about the road apples, Sunny.

It's all a big mess at that shop. One of the co-owners just up and left. Anyway, sometime next week I'll get it.

Thanks. That all makes a lot of sense. I've also found if I put ice on my head (maybe as kind of a shock therapy reminder?) it helps me feel like I can breathe better.

I'm glad you were able to remind yourself of that, while helping me. Thank you.

Millie, I used to punish myself for it too. Well, it lowered my already low self-esteem. I'm glad you've gotten easier on yourself.

Kim
Old 08-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Millie, I used to punish myself for it too. Well, it lowered my already low self-esteem. I'm glad you've gotten easier on yourself.
It was really hard not to and I still find moments when I do it still.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread