Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Breaking Dawn - What Could Have Been...

Firstly, I want to point out that I enjoyed reading Breaking Dawn and thought that the book was good. However, it could have been brilliant if Stephenie had more of an insight into what the teen fans actually want to read in the book. I thought she did before I read Breaking Dawn, but while reading it, I came to think that maybe she doesn't really, or her publisher wouldn't let her include some things that she wanted to. I'm not sure which of these it is...

Being a teenage girl myself not too long ago, I feel that I know pretty well, what fans would have wanted to read (and it's also what I would have wanted to read)... I'm going to skip how convenient it was that Edward explained about the 'Immortal Children' right at the start of the book because that's not the point that I'm making...

First of all, the honeymoon - was all very romantic and cheesy (like we all wanted ), but lacked physical interaction between Edward & Bella. I'm aware that it had some but not much overall. I realise that Breaking Dawn is targeted to a younger audience than myself, but a little more description of the kissing, touching and clothing removal wouldn't have done any harm whatsoever! To skip all of that completely wasn't fair as it's something that thousands of us have been waiting for since the very first book!

Ok secondly, the Bella being pregnant storyline would have been SO much better if we could have seen Edward being all attentive towards Bella throughout her pregnancy. Having Edward do things like rub her feet, run out in the middle of the night to get things to make her more comfortable and to comfort her when she was all over-emotional would have been amazing to read about. Everyone would have adored 'perfect husband Edward' but instead we got 'depressed pessimistic Edward'. Stephenie speeding up the pregnancy didn't allow for any of that and I found myself disappointed that we didn't get to see it. There was SUCH potential there that Stephenie didn't even explore.

Thirdly, going back to the 'perfect husband Edward' side of things. Was it me, or did he not really interact with Nessie much? If I ever pictured Edward as a father, I would have pictured him as being really sweet and caring towards his child and making sure he did everything with her that he could. It's written that he loves her, but we never really saw any evidence that pointed that way. It's the same thing with Jacob, we saw Quil & Claire adorableness in the book (which I adored because I LOVE Quil/Claire) but we didn't really see any of that with Jacob & Nessie. There's something really heartwarming about seeing a strong, powerful man interacting in a gentle and affectionate way with a baby, but we didn't get to see it! I would even have wanted Bella to have a bit more interaction with her, it almost feels like Edward and Bella just dumped her off on other people all the time. Sure, they SAID that they loved her etc, but they didn't do THAT much to show it to us. Stephenie again avoided a lot of this by speeding Nessie's growth up. I understand that including such things could have potentially made the book a lot longer, but when you consider the length of the end interaction with the Volturi that never really amounted to anything in the end, I would have been much happier if Stephenie would have cut that part shorter instead and included some of the things that I have mentioned.

Basically, I think that what I'm saying is that Edward didn't seem to do much, he was like a silent shadow without offering any opinions or support and it was a shame to read that, after how attentive and adorable he was with Bella in the first three books. We should have heard more of his thoughts and had more interaction between the characters.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this? Does anyone have any similar opinions about other aspects of the book?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What Could Have Been...
...well, it could have been better for sure

Quote:
but a little more description of the kissing, touching and clothing removal wouldn't have done any harm whatsoever!
no it wouldn't! Especially with teens these days knowing much more than adults give them the credit for
Quote:
Was it me, or did he not really interact with Nessie much? If I ever pictured Edward as a father, I would have pictured him as being really sweet and caring towards his child
It wasn't just you. I was soooo disappointed by that. It's like there was no connection between them. She never asked for him, he never asked for her... It's like he's been a not so good uncle or something.
What i didn't like, and what really I must say even irritated me was the fact that Jake seemed to have more right to Nessie than Edward or even Bella. Like he's first and then they are second.

And i missed my ALICE!!!! there was practically NO Alice

I have a feeling i will have a totally different and not that mush bad feelings about the book after some time passes and i forget half of the things i didn't like.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Elite Fan

I agree - I thought Edward was kind of cold toward Nessie but then again his ultimate goal was to have her destroyed at the sake of saving Bella, right? Even when Bella delivered Nessie, he still wanted to kill her. It was Bella's pleading that saved Nessie's life. Like I've said before, I hated that Bella was turned into a vampire but for everything she did for Edward, she deserved this sort of happiness, I guess. And I'm guessing that Edward was one of those males who have incredible sperm to get any mortal female pregnant. I wasn't expecting Bella to get pregnant, to be honest.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
And I'm guessing that Edward was one of those males who have incredible sperm to get any mortal female pregnant.
not to mention it should have killed her
I mean if they have venom in the eyes as Esme mentioned, how come it's not there as well
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I mean if they have venom in the eyes as Esme mentioned, how come it's not there as well
Stealer of things I've said in real life!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe (View Post)
Stealer of things I've said in real life!
and who first said in real life that there was no interaction between Edward and Nessie??? HUH?HUH?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCookie (View Post)
and who first said in real life that there was no interaction between Edward and Nessie??? HUH?HUH?
Well I thought it was me because I was the first one to say "where the hell was Edward?"
Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Awwwwww... I was thrilled with BD, but maybe that's just because I wasn't anticipating it for months and months.

I'm inclined to give a pass on the venomous bodily fluids thing, because... well, if every bodily fluid really were venomous, wouldn't it be in his saliva too, and he would've killed her the first time he kissed her?
Wild Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Loyal Fan

The only I thing I was really devastated about was the lack of my Alice...
I was so sad

Scrubs: October 2, 2001 - May 6, 2009
End of an Era
twilight15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pikachu (View Post)
Awwwwww... I was thrilled with BD, but maybe that's just because I wasn't anticipating it for months and months.

I'm inclined to give a pass on the venomous bodily fluids thing, because... well, if every bodily fluid really were venomous, wouldn't it be in his saliva too, and he would've killed her the first time he kissed her?
To an extent, I say - it's fiction and Stephenie Meyer can say whatever the hell she likes.

And I definitely think that I will enjoy reading BD a lot more the second time around. Now that I know what happens and can get used to the idea.

Quote:
I was so sad
Yes that was a disappointment, but maybe Stephenie will write another book with her point of view.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight15 (View Post)
I was so sad
I totally agree!!

I liked the book but I mean Stephenie Meyer built up the whole battle with the Volturi but it never happened. That bummed me out.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers0604 (View Post)
I totally agree!!

I liked the book but I mean Stephenie Meyer built up the whole battle with the Volturi but it never happened. That bummed me out.
She answered that question in an interview. She said the Cullens only had a chance to hold their own, not to win the fight. So instead of turning it into a blood bath and killing off alot of characters, she said she wanted to turn it into a mental war.

But a fight woulda been cool...

End of an Era
Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yea the mental war was good, but some physicalness would've been good too. I am happy with the book overall. I got everything *I* wanted!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Loyal Fan

yep...

Except enough Alice!

End of an Era
Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I missed edward in BD. Where'd he go ?
Glib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread