Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 AM
  #16
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
Should I bother getting Part 5? That is one I have not seen and I hear nothing good about it.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM
  #17
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
I am now the proud owner of Star Trek II, III and IV. I just ordered part VI yesterday.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:38 PM
  #18
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 123,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
Should I bother getting Part 5? That is one I have not seen and I hear nothing good about it.
I would advise against it. There's a reason why you haven't heard anything good about it. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is generally considered the worst Star Trek movie. It really doesn't even continue the story arc from Star Trek II, III, and IV, and seems very out of place in the series. It also seems to rip off a lot of concepts and storylines from the old Star Trek series, and the visual effects are somewhat weak. They were using CGI, but at the time that technology was still primitive and didn't look good on screen yet. And William Shatner wrote and directed the film, and let's just say he's no Leonard Nimoy.

But congrats on getting Star Trek II, III, and IV! You are now the proud owner of the second greatest trilogy in sci-fi history. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was okay, but not really equal to II, III, and IV. It did try to continue the story arc where Star Trek IV left off, at least.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM
  #19
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I would advise against it. There's a reason why you haven't heard anything good about it. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is generally considered the worst Star Trek movie. It really doesn't even continue the story arc from Star Trek II, III, and IV, and seems very out of place in the series. It also seems to rip off a lot of concepts and storylines from the old Star Trek series, and the visual effects are somewhat weak. They were using CGI, but at the time that technology was still primitive and didn't look good on screen yet. And William Shatner wrote and directed the film, and let's just say he's no Leonard Nimoy.

But congrats on getting Star Trek II, III, and IV! You are now the proud owner of the second greatest trilogy in sci-fi history. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was okay, but not really equal to II, III, and IV. It did try to continue the story arc where Star Trek IV left off, at least.
Thanks for letting me know. I see V is ON DEMAND for free, so I will just watch it there.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM
  #20
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 123,079
You're welcome! I unfortunately saw Star Trek V in the cinema when it came out. 1989 was stuffed full of blockbusters and sequels - Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Ghostbusters II, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, Back to the Future Part II, The Abyss, The Karate Kid Part III, Licence To Kill, you get the idea. Hollywood banked on a lot of sequels and big budget blockbusters... but not all of them delivered on their promise, sadly.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:38 PM
  #21
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
You're welcome! I unfortunately saw Star Trek V in the cinema when it came out. 1989 was stuffed full of blockbusters and sequels - Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Ghostbusters II, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, Back to the Future Part II, The Abyss, The Karate Kid Part III, Licence To Kill, you get the idea. Hollywood banked on a lot of sequels and big budget blockbusters... but not all of them delivered on their promise, sadly.
It also would of been easy for some movies to get lost in that summer. What a summer it was!
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 PM
  #22
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 123,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
It also would of been easy for some movies to get lost in that summer. What a summer it was!
It sure was. It was so big that Back To The Future Part II got bumped to November that year. Not that it helped. I think Star Trek peaked in 1986, and by 1989 the franchise was getting a little worn out. Star Trek: TNG was still trying to find its own identity, and the movie franchise got way off track. The early 90's is when the Trek franchise started to figure out where it was gonna go from there, but it was kind of awkward. But 1982 to 1986 was just the best time to be a Trek fan.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:36 AM
  #23
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
It sure was. It was so big that Back To The Future Part II got bumped to November that year. Not that it helped. I think Star Trek peaked in 1986, and by 1989 the franchise was getting a little worn out. Star Trek: TNG was still trying to find its own identity, and the movie franchise got way off track. The early 90's is when the Trek franchise started to figure out where it was gonna go from there, but it was kind of awkward. But 1982 to 1986 was just the best time to be a Trek fan.
I saw IV in the theater. I think a lot of non-Trek people did. I wasn't even a Trekkie. i loved it. I saw II and III on HBO back in the early to mid 80s. I haven't seen any of the films after "Generations".
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 AM
  #24
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 AM
  #25
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
I ordered Part V. Everyone told me it was considered the worst for a reason, but I didn't feel whole without having the complete collection of the original casts' movies.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 PM
  #26
Fan Forum Legend

 
Melis's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 688,621
__________________
Go back in time on the 80s Board! Party on, Dudes!
Melis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 AM
  #27
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
I wonder what year that was? Those are probably real collector's items now.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
  #28
Fan Forum Hero

 
GardenSirens's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 99,340
oh yeah, in good shape, those could fetch a pretty penny for sure!
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
  #29
Fan Forum Star

 
Barrybgb's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 80s
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 131,747
I wasn't a fan growing up, so I never had anything Star Trek related.
__________________
"Everything's coming up Barry!" - The Goldbergs

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
  #30
Elite Fan

 
BlackWhiteRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 43,449
Wow what an interesting jacket. Even for me as a huge Star Trek fan it wouldn`t be something I would wear.
__________________
~My top ships: Brennan/Booth, Shamy, Penny/Leonard, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Valerie/David, Kelly/Dylan, Ross/Rachel, Angela/Hodgins, Piper/Leo, Jessica/James~
Shelnardhug2014~Thanks for 12 years of Bones!~Icon by buffyandspikeforever~
BlackWhiteRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
Everything 80s
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2017.

Copyright © 1998-2017, Fan Forum.