Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by angelparis
BTW - love your sig...it's one of my favorite lines from one of my most favorite movies from the 80s.
I am a major John Hughes fan, and The Breakfast Club is my all time favourite of his movies.

I remember how upset I was when Rick Allen was in that accident and I kept worrying about him and the band. And then Steve died some years later.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Maxi*
I am a major John Hughes fan, and The Breakfast Club is my all time favourite of his movies.
I love The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink (I love Duckie).

Quote:
I remember how upset I was when Rick Allen was in that accident and I kept worrying about him and the band. And then Steve died some years later.
I didn't get into Def Lep until the Hysteria album so I thought Rick Allen had always had just the one arm. Then I found out when and how he'd lost it. I bought the 'Historia' video which has all the early videos and it's rather strange seeing Rick Allen with 2 arms.

Jennifer

Lindsey: It's gonna rain down fire, it's gonna burn us all. ~ "Dead End"
Angelus: I'm in hell. This is hell and I'm in it. ~ "Orpheus"
Puppet Angel: I'm made of felt...and my nose comes off. ~ "Smile Time"

ANGEL...5 years...110 episodes...thank you.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by angelparis
I love The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink (I love Duckie).
I watched Pretty In Pink earlier this week, again. Duckie is by far the best character in the movie. The "bed" quotes are fun, when he says "ours".
Quote:
I didn't get into Def Lep until the Hysteria album so I thought Rick Allen had always had just the one arm. Then I found out when and how he'd lost it. I bought the 'Historia' video which has all the early videos and it's rather strange seeing Rick Allen with 2 arms.
I need to get my hands on some of their videos, because I love them.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Total Fan

I remember Rick Allen's accident. Honestly, it was incredible he continued drumming.

I saw The Reflex video today. Man. No wonder I completely fell in love with Duran Duran. When Simon Le Bon is dancing in the shadows (after the water fell)...shivers
on a Miracle Drug
Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyZ
I saw The Reflex video today. Man. No wonder I completely fell in love with Duran Duran. When Simon Le Bon is dancing in the shadows (after the water fell)...shivers
I haven't seen The Reflex in...I can't remember when. I've got the Greatest Hits Video but haven't watched it in a couple of years. But it's a cool video...not my favorite DD video though. I love "The Nightboat" (both song and video)...very dark and moody... Love "Union Of The Snake" because it was shot here in Australia (at Cronulla Beach south of Sydney, if you're wondering). I love everything up to and including The Big Thing album, and I liked the Wedding Album...didn't particularly like the other stuff from the 90s.

Did anyone else ever get into The Power Station or Arcadia? I loved the videos for Some Like It Hot and Election Day.

Jennifer

Lindsey: It's gonna rain down fire, it's gonna burn us all. ~ "Dead End"
Angelus: I'm in hell. This is hell and I'm in it. ~ "Orpheus"
Puppet Angel: I'm made of felt...and my nose comes off. ~ "Smile Time"

ANGEL...5 years...110 episodes...thank you.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Master Fan

The Wedding Album is absolutely awesome, it made me hooked on DD all over again. I'm not that keen on much else from the ninties though.

I taped Power Station off a friend, and wore out the tape.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love alot of 80's music videos. I really like Aerosmith's and Madonna's videos.

Duckie is awesome!
My LJ
Old 09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Maxi*
The Wedding Album is absolutely awesome, it made me hooked on DD all over again. I'm not that keen on much else from the ninties though.

I loved the song, "None of the Above." Catchy dance tune. Didn't get into Power Station or Arcadia to the same level of DD though.

I found this online:
How to Make Your Own 80's Video

1. Use references to Classic Hollywood films. (e.g. Madonna's "Material Girl" vs. Marilyn Monroe's dance number in "Gentlmen Prefer Blondes")

2. Be sure to use plenty of mirrored images. (e.g. Phil Collins in "You Can't Hurry Love")

3. Overlighting. (e.g. Missing Persons video for 'Words').

4. DANCE, DANCE, DANCE - no matter how foolish it may or may not make you look! (e.g. any Janet or Michael Jackson video, Talking Heads "Once in a Lifetime")

5. Cheerleading routines. (e.g. Toni Basil's video - and song "Mickey")

6. Abstract ideas or non-linear events. (e.g. Animotion "Obsession")

7. Lots of liquid...gallons and gallons of paint, milk, bathwater, etc. (e.g. Duran Duran's song "Girls on Film," J. Geils "Freeze Frame")

8. Look to the future with scenes, clothing and makeup. (e.g. A Flock of Seagulls "Space Age Love Song")

9. Special effects, smog machines, pyrotechnics, lasers. (e.g. Gary Numan's "Cars")

10. Puppets! (e.g. Genesis "Land of Confusion")

11. Animation. (e.g. A-ha's video for "Take On Me")

12. Lots of sexy gals singing / dancing / engaging in physical activities. (e.g. ZZ Top's "Legs," Dominatrix "Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight")

13. Use repetition as a tool. (e.g. Robert Palmers videos for "Addicted to Love," "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" and "Simply Irresistable")

14. Excessively long intros, break-outs or storylines, general self-indulgence. (e.g. Michael Jackson's "Thriller")

15. Lust that is restrained or unrequited. (e.g. Adam Ant's video "Goody Two Shoes")
Old 09-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Master Fan

Z - I love that list. It made me giggle.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyZ

13. Use repetition as a tool. (e.g. Robert Palmers videos for "Addicted to Love," "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" and "Simply Irresistable")

This one is so funny to me. Samely dressed women in the background playing instruments, anyone?

Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Broken Wings ~ Mr. Mister

Take on Me ~ A-Ha

Anything from the Valley Girl Soundtrack!!!
Like Totally!

Do You Really Want to Hurt ME?
Karma Chemilion ~ Culture Club

Dont know if this is right but
Land down under ~ Men at Work ?????????

Sunglasses at Night ~
Cory Heart

Legs, Sharped Dressed Man ~ ZZ Top

So many more I will have to think more on this subject!!!

I remember when I was little & we first got cable & MTV, I used to beg my mom to let me stay up late to watch the videos!

~scooby
Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Master Fan

Yes, Down Under is by Men at Work.

Sunglasses At Night! I absolutely loved that song.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

It's been so long since I heard the song I could not remember who sang it. Thanks!

~scooby
Old 09-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

I must say it's been a long time since it's been played on radio here. It's a pity, especially since I loved Down Under but never bought it.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Journey! Nobody mentioned Journey?!?

I have a whole notebook full of lyrics I wrote down from songs I loved in the 80's, from Yngwie Malmsteen to Bon Jovi to Poison on down. If they had long hair, I listened to their stuff.

I remember listening to my big brothers' tapes of early Motley Crue ("Live Wire" et al) and their Iron Maiden stuff. I think I can still sing the lyrics to "Run To The Hills." That's like a soundtrack song for my childhood summers. I used to bug them when they were playing D&D and listening to their tunes.

Tag along on Felicity and Ben's Road Trip!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread