Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Well, I saw the new one -

- It was pretty damn awesome. Not as great as I thought it would be, but pretty damn close. Jamie Lee Curtis is phenomenal in the role. Laurie is both wounded and fierce. She kicks butt! Andi Matichak as her granddaughter could do nicely if she picks up the mantle from here.

- Michael Myers. This is the best Michael has been in years. This is mysterious, classic boogeyman. However, he is a bit more brutal than we remember original MM being, but not overly so. There are numerous great moments of him as well as memorable shots of him. He has 40 years of bloodlust built up. It was just nice seeing the Michael we remember.

- Many reviews say this is the funniest of the franchise. I admit there are some humorous moments, but it wasn't as much as reviews have suggested. Make no mistake. There is nothing funny about this.

- With the estranged family angle and the trauma, this is the deepest 'Halloween' and I would gladly of take more of it.

- The kills. Some are just brutal. There are at least 14 that I can remember give or take one or two. Most are pretty standard (but still cool). There was one victim that was quite shocking because it's not something you normally expect to happen.

- The score. The music is outstanding. There are a few different versions of the classic theme as well as some returning sounds from the original. There is a great retro synth sound to the music too. It is just wonderful.

- It's the best looking of the franchise too. Some great camera work and cinematography here and there.

- There are numerous easter eggs here and there and homages in scenes and style, but it never takes away from the movie. It's fan service, but great fan service. It doesn't stop the movie from being it's own thing.

- I am not sure yet what to think of the new doctor or the twist that happens in the last half of the film. Seems like something a later sequel would do.

In the end, it is a very satisfying entry and definitely quenches the thirst one has been having for the series to return to form. There's no bad, really. It's not really scary, but it is INTENSE. Out of 11 movies, it is definitely in the top three for me. It is atmospheric and surprisingly emotional. It does a great job of being something familiar and classic mixed with being new and modern.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Most excellent review, Barry. Makes me even more excited to see it whenever I can (starting to look like I might have to wait for video on demand which is 2-3 weeks before home video). I read that the one takeaway from the Rob Zombie remakes that the writers, producers, director and Carpenter himself really liked, was the brutality of Myers. Rob Zombie created that insane brutality and I'm happy to hear they utilized it here. I can't wait to see! They even called this the Me Too Halloween because of how Laurie doesn't let being a victim as a teenager stop her from being an empowered badass. The prior versions of this from H20 and Resurrection made her a victim, still weak(ish).
Old 10-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

*closes eyes while posting* I'm going to watch soon, so I don't want to read Barry's post yet.

I did make some Halloween icons. I'll make more when I get back.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melis (View Post)
*closes eyes while posting* I'm going to watch soon, so I don't want to read Barry's post yet.

I did make some Halloween icons. I'll make more when I get back.
Don't worry. I didn't give anything away.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:

- It was pretty damn awesome. Not as great as I thought it would be, but pretty damn close. Jamie Lee Curtis is phenomenal in the role. Laurie is both wounded and fierce. She kicks butt! Andi Matichak as her granddaughter could do nicely if she picks up the mantle from here.
Interesting idea! I liked the granddaughter.

Quote:
- Many reviews say this is the funniest of the franchise. I admit there are some humorous moments, but it wasn't as much as reviews have suggested. Make no mistake. There is nothing funny about this.
I laughed a few times. It was mainly at that kid who she was babysitting.

Quote:
- The kills. Some are just brutal. There are at least 14 that I can remember give or take one or two. Most are pretty standard (but still cool). There was one victim that was quite shocking because it's not something you normally expect to happen.
I think I know that kill you're talking about.

Quote:
- I am not sure yet what to think of the new doctor or the twist that happens in the last half of the film. Seems like something a later sequel would do.
You think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSirens (View Post)
They even called this the Me Too Halloween because of how Laurie doesn't let being a victim as a teenager stop her from being an empowered badass. The prior versions of this from H20 and Resurrection made her a victim, still weak(ish).
I liked that about her.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

As happy as I am that Barry enjoyed Halloween, Melis I'm even happier you enjoyed it! Taking nothing away from Barry, I'm just happy Melis enjoyed! Now it's my turn ;(
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I am very, very glad you enjoyed it, Melis! I can't wait to own this baby!

Yeah, the little boy was hysterical. "Send Dave in first."

We knew the opening was going to be big! $77 million opening weekend! #91.8 million worldwide total! All this on a $10 million budget!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I'm sure it'll be great to own. Lots of features.

He was clipping his ugly *** toenails. lol

Wow, amazing numbers! The theater was almost empty when I went, but there were so many people coming in when I left.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
I'm sure it'll be great to own. Lots of features.

He was clipping his ugly *** toenails. lol

Wow, amazing numbers! The theater was almost empty when I went, but there were so many people coming in when I left.
There were a few scenes in the different trailers and TV spots that weren't in the movie. The deleted scenes section should be interesting.

There were only 5 other people when I saw it. Then again, I saw it at 11 in the morning on Friday when people were still working and in school.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to go back and look at them.

lol I went at 5:30 pm. When we were finished, all the night people were coming in.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 PM
New Fan

saw the first movie ever when I was a little girl and was scared out of my mind and never saw one again but now that Im older and wiser I'm into horror movies like you wouldn't believe and I am tempted to see the new Halloween
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Oh, you should! It's great.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Oh, you should! It's great.
I second that! It's a great time at the movies and a perfect way to celebrate the season!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I'm so glad I got to see a horror movie in the theater! So fun!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Was this your first horror in at theater movie, Melis?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread