Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Board (Re)Customization

Hi everyone ,

The Fan Forum Graphics Team is in the process of (re)customising message boards and now it's your turn!

If you have any picture or colour suggestions please post them in this thread. Don't post (hotlink) the pictures, links to them are fine. Make sure that the pictures are of as high quality as possible and that the top of the head of the person in the picture isn't cropped off. We also like to use photoshoot images when possible, preferably individual pictures of each cast member. When suggesting colours please keep in mind that some colours will work better than others. The Team usually tries to avoid really vibrant and dark colours because we have found in the past that they are hard to look at for long periods of time. If you would like some help coming up with colour combinations we recommend checking out the design seeds website.

Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions for this as you are the ones who will be posting on the board and we hope to make as many people happy with the finished result as possible. It does not matter if you are a board moderator, regular poster, or casual poster here. If you have a suggestion, please share it here with us .

Your suggestions for possible pictures and colours will be taken into serious consideration, but in the interest of seeing every board receive the best customised look possible the final decision concerning how this board will be customised will be made by the members of the Graphics Team. This is because we want to make sure that the selected graphic and colours fit into the overall design scheme that we've established for Fan Forum.

For a full explanation of the message board customisation process, see this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to send Mel, Aurora or Chelle a PM or ask the Team on the message board customisation thread.

Please leave this topped until a week or so after the board has been (re)customised.

Note: It usually takes less than two weeks for us to finish making the new banner and the sooner we know what you want, the more we can work on it (though it can take a few months or so to set it up with the new colours on the board), so please let us know your suggestions as soon as possible.

When the Team have made and voted on a winning graphic I will close this thread until the graphic and colours get put up. It will then be re-opened so that you can share your thoughts about it.

Mel, Aurora and Chelle

i love you. ♡
21:21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

awesome
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Very cool! What are some of your suggestions, everyone?

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like to see Aqua and/or teal used.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

When I think of 80s, I think of like neon colors, neon green, neon pink...and shoulderpads.
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Neon colours would be harsh on the eyes so they would need to be muted or darkened

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I agree. No neon colors. It's too hard on the eyes.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Graphics Team Manager

We wouldn't do that to you

We could however focus on one colour scheme with some other colour highlights? I wouldn't recommend going with neon colours but we could still have brightness & colourful added to the colour scheme/atmosphere here without overpowering things & making it harsh on the eyes? Another thought could be going with neutral colours (brown/beige/tan or greys) with colourful highlights for the bars, links, buttons? That would make those areas really pop out from your background while still making things easy on the eyes. Or go colourful but with pastels instead of neon?

But the choice is up to you guys as its your board. I can't say I'm overly knowledgeable about the 80s, it was just before my time (not that I could tell you much about the 90s either actually ). The colour scheme should be one which you are all comfortable with, it doesn't necessarily have to match the theme of the board, it should be one which you'll be happy with & enjoy looking at each day/time you post here

Is there anything you'd love to see featured in the graphic? If you compare your graphic with the one on The 90s you'll see they've got quite a bit in theirs & cover a number of things which they felt represented their decade. While yours only has a smaller amount of things. Would you prefer to have more represented? Or do you like the more minimalist look you've got now? Is there anything in the graphic you feel should remain? Anything which should be removed? I was thinking things like Back to the Future, maybe Alf still? (I have no idea who that is, just that its who is in your graphic now), Pac-Man, Rubix's Cube, cassettes, & fashion somehow represented (legwarmers & sunglasses?)? They jump out to me as things which could represent anyway... What decade are those neon coloured bands/bracelets from (these & these)? I know I had them as a child but not sure if that was a 90s thing or carried on from the 80s? If they're 80s maybe that could be a way to represent neon without making it your colour scheme? If its 90s then sorry for suggesting it & my ignorance

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home (View Post)
We wouldn't do that to you

We could however focus on one colour scheme with some other colour highlights? I wouldn't recommend going with neon colours but we could still have brightness & colourful added to the colour scheme/atmosphere here without overpowering things & making it harsh on the eyes? Another thought could be going with neutral colours (brown/beige/tan or greys) with colourful highlights for the bars, links, buttons? That would make those areas really pop out from your background while still making things easy on the eyes. Or go colourful but with pastels instead of neon?

But the choice is up to you guys as its your board. I can't say I'm overly knowledgeable about the 80s, it was just before my time (not that I could tell you much about the 90s either actually ). The colour scheme should be one which you are all comfortable with, it doesn't necessarily have to match the theme of the board, it should be one which you'll be happy with & enjoy looking at each day/time you post here

Is there anything you'd love to see featured in the graphic? If you compare your graphic with the one on The 90s you'll see they've got quite a bit in theirs & cover a number of things which they felt represented their decade. While yours only has a smaller amount of things. Would you prefer to have more represented? Or do you like the more minimalist look you've got now? Is there anything in the graphic you feel should remain? Anything which should be removed? I was thinking things like Back to the Future, maybe Alf still? (I have no idea who that is, just that its who is in your graphic now), Pac-Man, Rubix's Cube, cassettes, & fashion somehow represented (legwarmers & sunglasses?)? They jump out to me as things which could represent anyway... What decade are those neon coloured bands/bracelets from (these & these)? I know I had them as a child but not sure if that was a 90s thing or carried on from the 80s? If they're 80s maybe that could be a way to represent neon without making it your colour scheme? If its 90s then sorry for suggesting it & my ignorance
Oh, pastels sound like it would be good too. Pastel colors were a big thing for sure in the 80's. I like that idea. Yeah, Back To The Future I think definitely needs to be in the graphic too. I will see what else Melis might want.

That first pic link you posted of the neon bracelets definitely was 80's. They ran into the 90s too but came from the 80s. The second link I am not so sure.

I will talk with Melis and see what she says.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

When I think of the 80's I tend to think of the bright paint splattered clothing we wore. I was thinking of the background color being a light tan brown and the headers and highlights being like primary colors (red, yellow, blue)

Or pastels were in I especially think of a light mint green.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Moderator Support Team

gotta have BTTF and maybe something brat pack related ? or john cusack holding up the boombox from say anything
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I veto Alf! I love Alf, but he has been in the last two board graphics. I think it's time to have someone/something new.

Also, I think we should not have that clock in the graphic. Although they probably had clocks like that in the 80s, it's not what I really think of when I think of the 80s.

I do think Back to the Future would be great. It is very popular and well loved. Jen, I like that about John Cusack and the boombox.

I like the idea of using the brighter colors for the bars/links. Pastel colors are fun, but they might remind me of an Easter egg. haha
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Graphics Team Manager

What sort of colours do you like? Maybe that's the best starting point to go with & you can build up a colour scheme from there? I've seen aqua/teal/mint green thrown around? You've already got greens now though so not sure if you'd want to go with that again?

If you did want to go down that path though something like this could be easy on the eyes but still has the neon/bright green in it. I could easily see other neon colours working well with it too (E.G. yellow, orange, possibly pink & blue) This could be another good one, & would just need neons added to it. Here's a blue/green scheme which could also work well with some neon/bright shades

I feel like food-related colour schemes or sweets-related colour schemes would be good for you to go through & see if there's anything which jumps out at you. They seem to have a mixture of the softer shades with brighter ones. Some do have the Easter-feel too so you may need to do a little digging & exploring to get past that but I feel like there might be something there for you in one of those categories. My other suggestion would be to look up 'Citrus Colour Schemes' in Google Images as that could give you some nice choices too since citrus fruits come in some brightish/colourful shades

Keep in mind that we can try to combine colour schemes or alter them to meet your needs further so if there are any you feel are almost what you want we may be able to work with it still to reach something you can be happy with

This isn't exactly bright, but its colourful & doesn't make me think of Easter. Its sort of similar to the primary colour idea which was mentioned in here, without being too harsh on the eyes. For it I'd imagine a green board with the red/pink, blue, & yellow used more in the bar/link/buttons areas or a yellow/green board with the red/pink & blue used in the bar/link/buttons areas. We could probably brighten them up a little too?

Anyway, I'll let you all have a think & look around & see if there's anything you can find which you like

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like the "Sweet Tones" scheme because it covers all the colors of the 80's but its not quite pastel, maybe the saturation of those tones can be slightly upped?

Like the beige or light lavender can be the background and the pink, blue, green could be the text, link and headers?

Also, instead of Alf, what about a character like a Smurf or a popular character from the Saturday morning cartoon 80's line up?

Is there a boombox there?

ETA: these colors look 80's-ish

https://www.design-seeds.com/edible-...constellation/

https://www.design-seeds.com/edible-...candy-color-2/

https://www.design-seeds.com/edible-.../candied-hues/

Last edited by reason to believe; 06-07-2018 at 09:48 AM
reason to believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason to believe (View Post)
I like the "Sweet Tones" scheme because it covers all the colors of the 80's but its not quite pastel, maybe the saturation of those tones can be slightly upped?

Like the beige or light lavender can be the background and the pink, blue, green could be the text, link and headers?
Which sweet tones colour scheme are you talking about?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Reply   Post New Thread