Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Moderator Manager

He's pretty amazing. I will miss him (and Missy) on the show a lot.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Extreme Fan

The Master, The Rani & The Meddling Monk.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow Strikes (View Post)
The Master, The Rani & The Meddling Monk.
are these your favorite villains?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Moderator Manager

The Rani seems to be a favorite villain from the Classic era.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
are these your favorite villains?
They're my favourite one that resemble humans, or that humans resemble. My overall favourite would be The Cybermen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
The Rani seems to be a favorite villain from the Classic era.
I don't think she is that well liked, even among class Who fans. Both of her stories (The Mark Of The Rani & Time And The Rani), really get much love. Now that it has been firmly established that Timelords can change gender, Missy makes The Rani irrelevant. Before it was revealed who Missy was, I was hoping that she would have been revealed to be The Rani. Moffat said that he didn't want to bring The Rani back, because no one would know he she was. Steven Moffat, producer of the show, who could have introduced The Rani to a new generation of fans, said that. I don't buy it. I think he straight up didn't like the character, that or it would clash with his idea for The Master (Missy).
I would have preferred it if The Master had remained a male of his species, and The Rani had returned, played by Michelle Gomez (or Gillian Anderson).
Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I really love the Cybermen as well I was really glad that they brought them into the new series.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:43 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
They're my favourite one that resemble humans, or that humans resemble. My overall favourite would be The Cybermen.

I don't think she is that well liked, even among class Who fans. Both of her stories (The Mark Of The Rani & Time And The Rani), really get much love. Now that it has been firmly established that Timelords can change gender, Missy makes The Rani irrelevant. Before it was revealed who Missy was, I was hoping that she would have been revealed to be The Rani. Moffat said that he didn't want to bring The Rani back, because no one would know he she was. Steven Moffat, producer of the show, who could have introduced The Rani to a new generation of fans, said that. I don't buy it. I think he straight up didn't like the character, that or it would clash with his idea for The Master (Missy).
I would have preferred it if The Master had remained a male of his species, and The Rani had returned, played by Michelle Gomez (or Gillian Anderson).
i agree i didnt know if they liked rani but i felt the same way although i love missy i was confuse to why would they bring the master again he has already been introduced in the new era the doctor does have other enemies and i knew of rani from one of the specails so i thought it would be awesome to bring her back as a villian get introduced to a new character
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Maybe the new show runner will introduce her now that The Master has died.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
As someone who's not familiar with the Classic era, I've heard the Rani mentioned a lot of times on this board so I'm getting a general feeling that it's a character that stayed with some fans?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I agree Lindsay. She gets mentioned a lot in DW circles and I never got the impression that she was not well liked. So maybe it depends on the group on fans talking about her?

I also don't think that Missy makes The Rani irrelevant. I thought that they established that while Time Lords can change genders they usually were one main gender. So while The Master did become Missy more than likely her next regeneration would be back to male. The Rani could be a Time Lord that is usually female and rarely male.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 AM
Moderator Manager

Hmmmm, do you think they could 'reincarnate' a modern version of The Rani for New Who?

Old 01-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Well... depending on the Producer, there is no reason that The Rani could not come back. But the question would be asked, does she need to? I think part of the reason Pip & Jane Baker created The Rani, was because back then, it was accepted that The Doctor & The Master were both Time Lords, The Rani was there as a Time Lady, every bit as intelligent as The Doctor & The Master, but a female. Now that the show has out-right shown that there isn't really a "male of the species/female of the species" and with Missy, The Rani might seem a bit pointless. Then again, Missy is manic, while The Rani is more serious, so a return could work. It would depend on what Chibnall feels towards her.

Kate O'Mara was a great actress, who held her own against Baker/McCoy & Ainley, and before she died, she gave her blessing to recast The Rani in Big Finish stories that were being planed, to ensure the character lived on. I love the story that JNT hadn't planed on bringing The Rani back after Mark Of The Rani, until Kate O'Mara asked if there was any chance she could appear in another story. She had recently finished Dynasty in the US, and was looking for work in the UK, as a reason to come back home.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I think there could still a lot more to the character's story so I hope that they do bring her back.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for that. Very interesting that Kate O'Mara asked if she could appear on another story. But yes, it would definitely depend on whether Chibnall wants to touch on the character for the upcoming new series.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

If they do bring her back I hope the actress is as dedicated to the characters as Kate was.

Here's a cool collage of some of the different villains on Doctor Who

X
Closed Thread   Post New Thread