Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow Strikes (View Post)
I like the 12th Doctor as a character, and he had some good stories, Flatline was my favourite. But he didn't have a good series (all three were let down by poor stories or writing), and I hated the attitude that began to creep into his era from around the second series.
what was the attitude that you did not like?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChakotaysLover (View Post)
You still see some of the Doctor in them and it is pretty awesome! LOL!
Really awesome indeed
Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
what was the attitude that you did not like?
Things like Clara threatening to hit the Doctor and in another story Clara threatening to drop all of the TARDIS keys into the Lava, if the Doctor didn't agree to go back and save Danny. I liked Clara at first, but by the end, even the cuteness of Jenna Coleman couldn't stop me from really disliking Clara. It felt like the writers were trying to turn her into the abusive partner in the ... relationship(?).

And don't get me started on Lord Sutcliffe. Yes, the guy was a pompous racist arse. But context is important. In the time the story was set, racism wasn't looked upon as the vile trait it is today, and the Doctor should have know that.

It is as though the show has taken a strong social stance, with the show runners taking an "either with us, or don't watch" attitude.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Things like Clara threatening to hit the Doctor and in another story Clara threatening to drop all of the TARDIS keys into the Lava, if the Doctor didn't agree to go back and save Danny. I liked Clara at first, but by the end, even the cuteness of Jenna Coleman couldn't stop me from really disliking Clara. It felt like the writers were trying to turn her into the abusive partner in the ... relationship(?).
I'll agree with you about Clara. I barely watch any of the episodes of S8 because of how she acts most of the time. Her with Danny Pink was the worst. Danny was the worst for the way he took an instant dislike to the Doctor, and the assumptions he made. Of course, I never really liked Clara in the first place... so....

Quote:
And don't get me started on Lord Sutcliffe. Yes, the guy was a pompous racist arse. But context is important. In the time the story was set, racism wasn't looked upon as the vile trait it is today, and the Doctor should have know that.
So, just because the Doctor should know that's the attitude of the era, he's not allowed to be disgusted by it? Would you have just wanted him to stand idly by and let Lord Sutcliff demean Bill? It was better that the Doctor punched Sutcliff in the face because he was white, rather than Bill doing it. That would have caused more problems.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I'll agree with you about Clara. I barely watch any of the episodes of S8 because of how she acts most of the time. Her with Danny Pink was the worst. Danny was the worst for the way he took an instant dislike to the Doctor, and the assumptions he made. Of course, I never really liked Clara in the first place... so....

So, just because the Doctor should know that's the attitude of the era, he's not allowed to be disgusted by it? Would you have just wanted him to stand idly by and let Lord Sutcliff demean Bill? It was better that the Doctor punched Sutcliff in the face because he was white, rather than Bill doing it. That would have caused more problems.
No, he can be disgusted by it, he could have taken the high road, and launched into a rousing speech, something the Doctor is not adverse to. The issue is when the Doctor travels back in time, to when a certain attitude was considered normal, then be absolutely shocked to encounter that attitude. The Doctor has intimate knowledge of Earths history, the good and the bad, the moment he knew what time period he was in, he should have been already expecting the ignorance of Lord Sutcliffe.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Elite Fan

Expecting ignorance? Really? The Doctor has been up and down through time. He's seen every kind of evil humans are capable of. There comes a point when even the Doctor can get fed up with it. I have no problem with the Doctor punching Sutcliff in the face.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Expecting ignorance? Really? The Doctor has been up and down through time. He's seen every kind of evil humans are capable of. There comes a point when even the Doctor can get fed up with it. I have no problem with the Doctor punching Sutcliff in the face.
Ah, but there is a difference between getting fed up with it, and expecting it. Knowing that attitude was rife, and still punching him, doesn't make the Doctor come off in any good light. Too much focus on social point scoring, and not enough thought given to what actions are in character for the Doctor. He is supposed to be an intellectual hero. Physical assault, does work for any Doctor. Now, had Sutcliffe physically attacked the Doctor, then the Doctor would have been more than within his right to bust out some Venusian Akido moves on Sutcliffe.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I had no issues with it either.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Ah, but there is a difference between getting fed up with it, and expecting it. Knowing that attitude was rife, and still punching him, doesn't make the Doctor come off in any good light. Too much focus on social point scoring, and not enough thought given to what actions are in character for the Doctor. He is supposed to be an intellectual hero. Physical assault, does work for any Doctor. Now, had Sutcliffe physically attacked the Doctor, then the Doctor would have been more than within his right to bust out some Venusian Akido moves on Sutcliffe.
i do agree with you on some point but each doctor is different 12 doctor was a lot darker than the rest him punching him wasnt out of his character

i always found it worse when soemtimes he didnt even want to save people he would let them die without a say or any saddness or anger that for me was more upsetting
Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Extreme Fan

But there are certain attributes that make up the DNA of the character. Taking to moral high road, being one.
As for the not saving people, I think that comes from the rule that Timelords aren't supposed to get involved, especially if a particular event is a fix point of human history, such as... the sinking of the Titanic. The 10th Doctor stuck his oar in, in The Waters Of Mars, and look how that turned out.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

All I'm going to say is that I thought Twelve punching Sutcliffe.

He has done a LOT worse in the past.

And, there's so much great that's been posted since I last posted on here.

Quote:
I pretty much got hired on the spot, which I really wasn;t expecting it, but I'm grateful for it! LOL!
Congratulations.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, definitely done worse.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Supreme Fan

For me, S10 was my least favorite of Peter's run. Just thought the storylines weren't as engaging. Much preferred S9, then S8, and then S10.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I just hope S11 is better with a new showrunner
Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
For me, S10 was my least favorite of Peter's run. Just thought the storylines weren't as engaging. Much preferred S9, then S8, and then S10.
Mine was S1. It was probably because I was late to watching the show and I was watching S1 in 2015 so everything looked outdated. Plus the SLs weren't that engaging to me the way the rest of the season was.

New pic of Peter with a fan. His smile.

Quote:
Stumbled upon Peter Capaldi on my break- nicest bloke! #doctorwho #bbc #petercapaldi #actor #tardis #doctor #12thdoctor #tv #film #drama #theatre #thickofit #thedoctor #selfie

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread