Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Torchwood 2x08 "A Day in the Death" Episode Discussion

A DAY IN THE DEATH

Quote:
A victim of his newfound circumstances, Owen Harper believes he needs absolution. Will the lonely girl on the rooftop help him, or will it be a mission to retrieve an alien device that is proving more lethal by the second? And how far will Toshiko go to help him?
Airing:
27.02.08 on BBC3 at 10pm
05.03.08 on BBC2 at 9pm
Old 02-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Saw this ep last night and i have to say it wasn't the best but still an enjoyable ep anyway...

there were a few classic lines like?

Owen: im to cool for school

theres one Jack says but i can't remember it, It has soemthing to do with tight wet jeans and a camera

and tehn this one justt after Martha kisses Jack.. Everyone's had a go
fozzy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Elite Fan

Not a bad episode.

Opening with lady jumper. Hah!
"Get off my roof!" --> They're happy Jack wasn't there to kick them both out and claim the roof for himself.
"Sorry, you an expert?" "Sorry, you an idiot?" Mwa ha ha, she's snarky, I like her.
Owen Harper: Suicide Geek. Has a nice ring to it.

Ianto's "oh please no!" look when Jack told Owen he could make coffee was hilarious. But he still taught him how!
And defended Janto! Woot!
Loved that Ianto/Owen scene.

Ha ha ha, best part of the episode - Ianto's disgusted face when Owen suggested Tintin is shagging his dog.

That hole in Owen's chest is disgusting. Stitch it up. Or fill it with silicone, or something.
Good thing little fishes didn't start playing house there when he was trying to drown himself.

Also, that big TV is wasted on Owen. Can I have it? Please?
And while I'm on the subject of Owen, why exactly did he throw away his toothbrush, toothpaste and shower gal? Just because you're dead does not mean you need to kill your personal hygiene too.

Tosh with pizza! "I ran it through language translation and it's flippin' Croatian!"
!! Croatian!! Hey, I could have been useful for once if I were part of the team!!

Owen don't be mean to Tosh.
Though I do get why he was acting like an ass. For once I can't say I'm pissed.
And he did apologize in the end.
I'm glad he opened up to her, after he got his act together.
But what's with all the ILUs from Tosh? We got it. Everyone did by now, no need to repeat it so much. It's kinda awkward.

Who's the old grandpa in whose house Owen broke into? He knew a lot. Even about Tosh and how awesome her legs are!
"You're a very violent Doctor, I've been watching you."
But alas, he died. And Owen couldn't save him. There's an oxygen mask right there babeh, use that!

Ow Martha left.
Loved the goodbye kiss & hug with Owen. Those two got close, and they're cute.
But oi, could the kiss with Jack been any more weird? He was all strangely non-flirty and acting...well, Dad-like!

And look, cheesy purplish ending. But it looked pretty.

So basically....Jack, Owen...and The Doctor. All pretty much here to stay for a long time. I can already see them some 100 years in the future (because 21st century passed, and everything that needed to change did by then), bickering in the TARDIS. And Jack bitching because Owen still didn't master handling the coffee machine, and Doctor being smug "You see Jack, this is why I drink tea.".
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Such a dark episode. Not bad, definitely not bad, but very heavy.

Poor Owen my heart really went out to him in this episode. It was almost painful to watch how much he was hurting.

So, Martha left. I really liked her on Torchwood, I really did, but I guess I had expected a bigger story arc for her. I kind of got left with a "that's it?" feeling. And yes, how awkward was that kiss between her and Jack! It was sweet, but it looked a bit off. Wow, finally someone Jack doesn't have much chemistry with I did really love her goodbye scene with Owen though, those two really clicked and I can't believe we still don't know who her boyfriend is! It'd better be that Tom Milligan guy

Quote:
Ha ha ha, best part of the episode - Ianto's disgusted face when Owen suggested Tintin is shagging his dog.
DEFINITELY

Quote:
So basically....Jack, Owen...and The Doctor. All pretty much here to stay for a long time. I can already see them some 100 years in the future (because 21st century passed, and everything that needed to change did by then), bickering in the TARDIS. And Jack bitching because Owen still didn't master handling the coffee machine, and Doctor being smug "You see Jack, this is why I drink tea.".
NEED TO SEE THAT NOW PLZ

And next week looks cool! Very creepy, though. Shapeshifters scare the hell out of me. The whole "IT COULD BE EVERYONE!" thing always completely freaks me out I'm sure I'll get extremely paranoid watching it next week!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wasn't that gripped this week I'm afraid :/ After last weeks trailer I was expecting really dark stuff to be happenning with Owen. Instead the whole episode only being about Owen feeling depressed over his death made me wish that they had covered all that last week, because the pacing really dragged for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode was lacking for me as well. I really didn’t get anything out of it other than some very good Tosh/Owen moments and Burn’s good acting. I liked the underwater screaming thing; it was shot well, looked cool. It was kind of a dud of an episode to be honest. Glad that we really saw Gwen leading the team, I thought that was cool. I also wasn’t put off by the Martha kiss. I thought it was funny. Jack does kiss everyone and so I’m sure she’d be naturally curious and that there wasn’t steamy heat and that it was awkward made both the possibilities of Jack with Gwen or Jack with Ianto feel more real. I mean, if he has chemistry with everyone, then what’s the point?

Yeah for Gwen centric next week. Yay for what looks like J/G kiss (I hope! I hope!)
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Total Fan

Right... written out some thoughts... here we go...

“My name is Doctor Owen Harper and this…” Hold on. Stop. Rewind…. I AM watching an episode of Torchwood right? For a moment there I thought I had stumbled into an Alter-Doomsday episode. I suddenly had flashbacks of Billie’s voice, and “My Name is Rose Tyler and this is the story of Torchwood, the last story I’ll ever tell…” “This is the story of how I died.”

However Owen is already dead, so we get, “…is my life”

I LOVED the soundtrack to this episode. I thought that the music was brilliant

It was quite a different feel for an episode, the main “Torchwood” storyline. It was good… but it still felt like a “filler” episode… something that needed to happen to be able to move on with the series.

I love Ianto’s comment about Tintin… obviously he knew about Owen not liking Tintin. Also with the coffee machine and Ianto’s horror at the thought of Owen making it

I think that while Owen was going on about how everyone else was going about like nothing had changed. I think the truth is that they are all feeling as confused as Owen to what is going on. So they are trying their best to keep things normal, but you can tell there is an undercurrent of unease going on.

I felt that only Jack really knew what Owen was going through. Was waiting for the breakdown to happen. Although Jack is going to live forever and Owen is going to be dead forever, there is a parallel there, and Jack went through that realisation that he was different as well. And then the breakdown happened, and after that Jack let him back into the fold.

The old man was hilarious knowing all about them, and the girl on the roof was a really good guest star as well.

I LOVED Gwen in this ep, she took charge and I was like YES!

And Martha kissing Jack at the end was hilarious.
icon
AAVaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, i agree, the voice over at the start certainly had a Rose-esque Doomsday thing about it, but meh. i think its a good episode, its nice for Jack to have someone to sympathise with and i loved the Tintin stuff! ( i love tin tin and snowy!!) best line has to be
Owen:" you were watching me?"
Jack: "A man in tight jeans running into water? I was taking photos!"
haha so good!

I also think the Martha/Jack kiss was great because it showed the different nature of their friendship than the rest of Torchwood. while with everyone else it seems noone is around to witness the sneaked kisses between the Torchwood characters, Martha's was out in the open, in front of everyone. she was comfortable with him and the just-friends ship that they have.

Personally i dont like the Gwen taking charge thing, its still Jacks team, but I guess its cos Gwen annoys me a bit, but she is a strong character which is good.
TearlessPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearlessPhoenix (View Post)
Personally i dont like the Gwen taking charge thing, its still Jacks team, but I guess its cos Gwen annoys me a bit, but she is a strong character which is good.
See Gwen only annoys me when she's NOT being strong... like in TtLM when she's in hospital and that ghost comes at her.. I was screaming at the TV... YOU ARE A TRAINED POLICE OFFICER!!! and all she did was run and scream basically.

So I really liked Gwen taking charge in this episode. I also think... that it could have been a way for her to cope really. This is something that she can do and that she can do well, while everything with Owen would have had the team all wonky, she could do this.

That episode has made me want to read/watch Tintin now
icon
AAVaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn’t mind Gwen in TtLM because she’s still a bit unfamiliar with the whole supernatural thing. Trained police officer of no I think that she could be legitimately scared and have it still makes sense.

I liked her taking charge because in Jack’s absence she was in charge so it was good to see it happen again, imho.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Obsessed Fan

I liked this episode, minus the broken finger thing and the stitching up his hand. I'd rather see him puke again.

There were a few great one liners this episode.

I loved the coffee scene with Ianto and Owen.

It was a dark episode so heartbreaking for Owen. I loved seeing this side of Owen. Burn is a brilliant actor.

I thought Martha kissing him was hilarious. "Well everyone else had a go." Jacks quite popular.

I didn't like how Gwen seemed to be in charge of this one. I mean Jack was around but it was like he was in the background.

ETA: Because my mom is curious, Is that Maggie Harper related to Owen in anyway?

Nicole

Last edited by bubandgeek05; 03-15-2008 at 07:08 PM
bubandgeek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It was a dark episode so heartbreaking for Owen. I loved seeing this side of Owen. Burn is a brilliant actor.
I agree about Burn, I don't think the character of Owen would be half on interesting if Burn wasn't playing him.

Quote:
I loved the coffee scene with Ianto and Owen.
Those two bounce off eachother so well. I want more interaction.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

I know Ianto is so deadpan when it comes to those one liners and stuff.

Nicole
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

On a second watching of this episode I got alot more out of it, I must say.
Reply   Post New Thread