Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Master Fan

Unfortunately, I can't see the vid on this computer. What is it?

I'm curious, did you listen to Hornet's Nest (and/or the sequels), and if so what did you think about it?

I didn't really like the style and wasn't too impressed with Hornet's Nest, though I did like Demon Quest better. I haven't listened to Serpent Crest yet.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Elite Fan

Its comedian Jon Culshaw dressed as Tom Baker interviewing Tom Baker- its surreal

I haven't listened to them no. As I said on the Mccoy thread, I go for audio/books etc based onthe plot and it didn't really excite me as much as say Terra Nova did. But I'll get round to getting it and listening to it soon, cos I'm interested to see how both Tom and Richard Franklin adapt back into the role they did 40 odd years ago...
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Its comedian Jon Culshaw dressed as Tom Baker interviewing Tom Baker- its surreal
I love Culshaw's Fourth Doctor impression, and all the bits he did on the phone or on the street pretending to be the Doctor. He doesn't look like TB, but he sounds so much like him it's kinda scary.

Have you heard the Big Finish audio The Kingmaker? When I first subscribed to BF's monthly DW audios, that was the first one that I got in the mail, and it's still one of my all-time favourite BF plays. And it was in that play that I first heard Jon Culshaw.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't no I'm not a subscriber to Big Finish so never get round to getting them but I do own some of them
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

If you buy one BF DW play, you won't go wrong with that one. It's a Fifth Doctor story with Peri and Erimem, and it takes place in the era of Richard III.

Normally BF will only use the original actors to play DW characters and does not replace them with impersonators, but in this case they allowed a few bits of Fourth Doctor dialogue into the play, and they were performed by Culshaw. When I first heard it, I thought really might be TB, which is why I checked and found out about Culshaw. The play is also written by Nev Fountain, who wrote for Dead Ringers.

The guy who plays Richard III also sounds an awful lot like Chris Eccleston, though it isn't him.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Elite Fan

Excellent will take a look at that- Terror Firma was my favourite
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

This month the first of the Tom Baker Big Finish audio plays will be released.

They have a preview podcast of the first story, Destination: Nerva:

Big Finish - News

I subscribed to this ages ago, I'm so happy it's almost here
Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Elite Fan

Awesome I may get one of his first- quite momentus him joining Big Finish
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Master Fan

Destination: Nerva was released yesterday, as well as the Fourth Doctor Lost Stories Box Set, which contains two stories that were based on story ideas or scripts developed during the original series that were never made for one reason or another.

Now I just need to find time in my schedule to actually listen to these
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
Destination: Nerva was released yesterday, as well as the Fourth Doctor Lost Stories Box Set, which contains two stories that were based on story ideas or scripts developed during the original series that were never made for one reason or another.

Now I just need to find time in my schedule to actually listen to these
I may have to download them, just to see Tom finally on Big Finish! With Louise Jameson! And Mary Tamm (at some point soon I believe!) And Lis Sladen had signed up to do a season with him the week before she died Sad times...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Master Fan

Mary Tamm is in series 2 of the Fourth Doctor stories, which won't be out until next year. It seems like they're recording a lot of stories with Tom all at once, and then they're spreading the releases out over quite a long time. This year I think all the stories are with Louise Jameson.

I'm liking it so far, Tom still sounds like the same old Fourth Doctor. Nick Briggs said something about being concerned about giving Tom energetic, action scenes, that being an older guy now he wouldn't enjoy that part. But apparently Tom loved that stuff, really threw himself into it, and it sounds great. Way better than the stuff he did with Richard Franklin, which sounded more like a conventional audiobook. These BF 4th Doctor stories sound like proper TV episodes.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Elite Fan

Don't think the likelyhood of getting a series of him and Lalla Ward is very high
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Master Fan

Definitely not. But she's got another two series of the Gallifrey spinoff to do, apparently.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
Definitely not. But she's got another two series of the Gallifrey spinoff to do, apparently.
Yeah I wasn't being entirely serious They havent seen nor spoke with each other in 32 years- can't see them starting now... sad how all that went down though...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Probably doubtful we'd ever see Layla Ward and Tom Baker do a big finish. They don't even do commentaries together.