Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Almeida (View Post)
Is it normal that I still laugh as much as I did when I watched it the first time
It's normal in my somewhat skewed definition of 'normal' meaning for me, cos' I've been laughing just as much each time.

"Decorative Vegetable!" I LOVED DT's delivery to that line. lol.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Elite Fan

I think my favorite bit is ... no, it definitely is the bit where Five puts on his glasses and Ten says "The brainy specs. You don't even need them. You just think they make you look clever!"
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Master Fan

That too!

Every line is quotable it seems in this special.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Master Fan

Very cute.

"Shorting out the time differential" ... I'm trying to remember where Doctor Who first used that particular bit of technobabble to explain weird time effects. I think it was used in Mawdryn Undead, where the Brig ran into himself from a different time.

"What's happened to my TARDIS?! You've changed the desktop theme, haven't you?! What is this one, coral? It's worse than the leopard skin!" Brilliant.

Damn that celery, it even looked a bit real in this scene. Fun to see the Doctor get a little embarassed about that particular phase. They managed to fit in all the 5th Doctor highlights in this short scene - clothes, celery, specs, cricket, trainers, Tegan, Nyssa, the Mara, the Time Lords, the Master, the 5th Doctor loosing his sonic screwdriver.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Master Fan

I'd be kind of interested to see the leopard skin themed.

I think it's explained in five's era why he wears the celery, but I can't for the life of me remember it.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyPotter (View Post)
I think it's explained in five's era why he wears the celery, but I can't for the life of me remember it.
The Fifth Doctor wore it for three years without any explanation, until Caves of Androzani (the last serial for Five) where he claimed he wore it because it would turn purple in the presence of certain gases he was allergic to, in which case he'd eat the celery. It was a pretty lame excuse, but Davison insisted there had to be some sort of explanation for it.

Originally, Davison thought the Doctor would just pick up random things and stick them to his lapel. However, he picked up a stick of celery in his first serial, Castrovalva, and was stuck with it until he regenerated into Colin Baker.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Master Fan

Ah, that's it, sounds like he's paranoid, I should really watch more Five, I've seen only a couple.

I saw this post on TwoP and thought it cute and true:

Quote:
You're my Doctor. Both of you. And all the rest. You're all my Doctor, because my Doctor is the Doctor.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Ah, that's it, sounds like he's paranoid, I should really watch more Five, I've seen only a couple.
I'm not the biggest fan of the Fifth Doctor, to be honest. Time Crash is a pretty accurate reflection of that version of the Doctor - serious, earnest, and a bit shouty at times.

The only part of the special which didn't sit well with me was when the Doctor went on about how much he loved being the Fifth Doctor, and how that was such a turning point for him. It was said in the spirit of the ep, which was a little tribute to the Fifth Doctor, so fair enough. But in reality, I never felt that the Fifth Doctor had much fun at anything, unlike the previous Fourth Doctor.

I think that Ten does incorporate some of the Fifth Doctor's characteristics though, like the shoes (Ten's outfit always reminded me of Five more than any of the other Doctors), the glasses (Five and Ten (and perhaps One) were the only Doctors to wear glasses on the show) and the energy (Davison felt that, as the youngest actor to ever play the Doctor, even if he didn't have the gravitas and charisma of some of the previous Doctors, he could at least bring the most energy and enthusiasm to the role - which generally meant running around a lot and talking fast). But there's some of 4, 8 and 9 in the 10th Doctor too.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Master Fan

I think Steven Moffat was putting his fanboyness into the script.I think he's said about how much he likes the Fifth Doctor before.

I always think Davison is judged harshly against Tom Baker, I think they are both brilliant in their different ways, I guess it was such a dramatic difference in the Doctor.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think Steven Moffat was putting his fanboyness into the script.I think he's said about how much he likes the Fifth Doctor before.
I agree, I'm pretty sure I've heard him mention this before too.

Quote:
I always think Davison is judged harshly against Tom Baker, I think they are both brilliant in their different ways, I guess it was such a dramatic difference in the Doctor.
Don't get me wrong, my problem with the Fifth Doctor has nothing to do with Davison's acting, I think he's a fine actor. My problem was how they wrote the Doctor for his Fifth incarnation. To contrast Tom Baker, they took the Doctor in a more serious direction with Five, even though Davison can be a pretty funny and charming guy. I recall Davison complaining about this, how there wasn't a lot humour allowed on Doctor Who in the years after TB left. But I had a good laugh listening to Davison's commentary on Caves of Androzani, it was at least as good as the episode.

I also love some of the 5th Doctor audio plays that do involve a bit more humour, like The Kingmaker and Omega. Davison sounds like he's having a lot of fun as the Doctor in those plays.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have SO many fave lines from this, I can't possibly list them all up. LOL!

One of the best ones (that hasn't been mentioned yet) is imho: "Okay. Sorry. DOCTOR!" and David's face with it. LOL! So brilliant!!
MajandraCarlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Elite Fan

It is a total geek fanboi wonderland! I just watched it - I have been very busy, hence my absence at late.
Camibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ok, I just got to see this. I thought this was totally cute. Something from Moffat that didn't scare the crap out of me

Nicole