Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Petra I agree with Lindsay. If it's something you really like then you should definitely try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Amy, I'm glad you didn't get floods there. I saw what happened in the news and some areas are really terrible. Meanwhile over here, we still don't have any major storms. We usually get hit by this time already so I'm thinking our typhoon season might extend up to November/December (it's usually over by November).
Thank Lindsay. We are so fortunate to be in an elevated area. We live in one of the only no flood zones in this area. I hope your typhoon season does not continue into November/December and that you do not get bad storms this year.

I think hurricane season runs June to November for us.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
Petra I agree with Lindsay. If it's something you really like then you should definitely try again.

Thank Lindsay. We are so fortunate to be in an elevated area. We live in one of the only no flood zones in this area. I hope your typhoon season does not continue into November/December and that you do not get bad storms this year.

I think hurricane season runs June to November for us.
yep well will see i might need to go back to studying to do it and i dont know if i have the will or patience for it
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 AM
Moderator Manager

Petra, it is but it is part of the whole job satisfaction experience. Once you find the job you like, you'll enjoy it and would never wanna leave. Don't fret about it, you'll find it soon enough.

Amy, I didn't know that hurricanes hit Texas. I mean I think of Texas and I usually think it's summer all year long.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Petra, I hope you find something you like soon. Believe me, I know how it is to think you want to do something, then not being sure about it anymore. And also not wanting to to back to school. I know you will figure it out though Have you tried a temp agency? Maybe that might help you in your job search.

Quote:
We're flooded in right now so just hanging out at the house
Sorry to hear this!! Are you in TX?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Moderator Support Team

thanks all atm im sticking to my current job and will look again next year or alittle now atm for anything
Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds like a good plan for now. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:53 AM
Moderator Manager

Steph, how's your weekend so far?

Petra, don't fret about it. Just try again. How is the weather over there?

Old 09-03-2017, 03:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:

Petra, don't fret about it. Just try again. How is the weather over there?
it more or less do i want to try and go back to study ??? which i dont know if i would do well if i can go back into that mind space .. if not i might find something else out there that i can enjoy ???

the weather here is nice just been raining really you?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Just a little busy. I wanted to do nothing, but ended up going out yesterday and today. And I didn't want to have to do anything tomorrow, but now I am going to have to go shopping to stock up on some essentials in case we end up getting a hurricane next weekend.

How was y'alls weekend?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:

Amy, I didn't know that hurricanes hit Texas. I mean I think of Texas and I usually think it's summer all year long.
It is definitely always summer where I live because I am on the coast. Texas is HUGE though so some parts like the panhandle region are far enough north to get snow. If it's winter and we have weather in the 70's I consider that a win and wintertime. My kids ask for jackets on the rare occasion when the temp goes below 70 I wish we didn't get Hurricanes We get them and tropical storms fairly regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplezbear (View Post)
Sorry to hear this!! Are you in TX?
Yes Steph I am in Texas

Petra I think that's a great idea to spend this next year regrouping and deciding if you want to continue your education in that field, reapply again next year, or move in a new direction. Good luck trying to figure it all out.

Last edited by One Thing Remains; 09-04-2017 at 06:17 AM
Old 09-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome back Amy! Glad you fared well during the storm! Hope any of your friends and family were also ok during the storm!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

thanks Steph We only lost internet so that's huge win in my book since we got 40+ inches of rain in 3 days. My family all did well and are fine. I do have some very close friends who lost everything though It's so crazy to me that someone can live only 10-12 miles from me and end up with 4 feet of water in their house but my house is fine. I was really surprised to lose internet though. We had Ike in 2008 which hit Houston directly and we never lost internet so I never thought a tropical storm (which is what Harvey was when it reached us here) could knock it out. But we actually got half of the rainfall with Ike than we got with Harvey and I think that's why we lost internet.

Being on the coast makes you kind of immune to storms. I really hate to say that but it's true. You deal with them so often that they lose their scare effect. I know that me, and most people I know, would have never even consider evacuating until it's at least a category 3 AND it's suppose to be a direct hit. I am wondering how the people who got flooded will think next time. Based on history, a category 4 storm that hit the coast over 200 miles south of you would not be a real concern. This storm really challenged that thinking for the first time. It dumped over 40 inches of rain in 3 days in an area that only receives about 50 inches annually. No wonder the flooding was so catastrophic. How could it not be when an area received almost a years worth of rain in 72 hours.

I don't live in a flood zone but that only means that it would take more than a 1 in 500 year storm to make this area flood. Harvey was a 1 in 800 year flood and we did not flood, but I guarantee you - after watching what my close friends are going through after experiencing a flood I will definitely be buying flood insurance from now on.

I hope that Irma doesn't come anywhere near the US. I am so over hurricanes and I don't want to see anymore this season.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 AM
Moderator Manager

Petra, I'm all for you studying again if you have the time. That's one of my regrets as I wanted to take a masters course before but I didn't have the time as I was super busy with work (I was always away on client call). It's always raining here though but at least the weather is cool. I'm seeing pics of my sister in Sydney and I'm envious of the weather there now.

Steph, yikes! I hope you don't get another hurricane there anymore.

Amy, 40+ inches of rain in 3 days? Damn, that's like any regular tropical storm here. That's the hard part with storms, the amount of rainfall. Over here, we're more concerned with rainfall than the winds because I live in the city so most buildings here are made of concrete but majority of the metropolis is sea-level and low so flooding is bad during storms. Cat 3 here is fine but Cat 4-5 is major and we usually get flooded, again depending on the amount of rainfall as not all storms carry that much rainfall. We're still not Japan-level in terms of technology but we've gotten a lot better with storm preparation nowadays compared to before.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Petra, I'm all for you studying again if you have the time. That's one of my regrets as I wanted to take a masters course before but I didn't have the time as I was super busy with work (I was always away on client call). It's always raining here though but at least the weather is cool. I'm seeing pics of my sister in Sydney and I'm envious of the weather there now.

Steph, yikes! I hope you don't get another hurricane there anymore.

Amy, 40+ inches of rain in 3 days? Damn, that's like any regular tropical storm here. That's the hard part with storms, the amount of rainfall. Over here, we're more concerned with rainfall than the winds because I live in the city so most buildings here are made of concrete but majority of the metropolis is sea-level and low so flooding is bad during storms. Cat 3 here is fine but Cat 4-5 is major and we usually get flooded, again depending on the amount of rainfall as not all storms carry that much rainfall. We're still not Japan-level in terms of technology but we've gotten a lot better with storm preparation nowadays compared to before.
Tbh would be better for me to get in the feild but i wasnt ontop or that smart with school i learn more hands on but atm that isnt why im not wanting to do it the cost is alot and well im not willing to go back to being poor haha but will see how we go if i dont find any work i mighr go back to school but will see
Old 09-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Tbh would be better for me to get in the feild but i wasnt ontop or that smart with school i learn more hands on but atm that isnt why im not wanting to do it the cost is alot and well im not willing to go back to being poor haha but will see how we go if i dont find any work i mighr go back to school but will see
yes school is crazy expensive here too I hope you can find a great job without having to go back to school.

Quote:
oh wow!!! I can't imagine getting that much rain with every storm. We'd constantly be underwater. How do you guys keep from having catastrophic floods all the time? We need to send some engineers over to where you live so they can make some changes to Houston so we don't go underwater the next time. We usually on get around 15-20 inches of rain from a storm. I hope that you guys don't get any major storms this year.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread