Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Seventh Doctor Era #1: You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies

I hadn't seen a thread yet & I don't know if there is interest enough to keep one active but I thought I'd give it a try anyway

I have finally watched my first 'classic' Who episode It was "Time and the Rani" starring the just regenerated 7th Doctor. The scene in the wardrobe room at the Tardis was hilarious. The Doctor modeling quiet a few outfits before sticking to one
Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting this, I'll go add it to the thread guide!

Seven is probably the Doctor I have seen the least of... In fact, I've only seen him in the beginning of the DW movie and I had a hard time taking anything in that whole movie seriously so it really wouldn't be fair to judge him on that alone. I've seen a few bits & bobs here and there from random episodes, but again, not nearly enough to really form an opinion.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

I loved Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, next to Tom Baker he's my favourite classic series Doctor. The 7th Doctor/Ace companionship was one of the best of the series.

When McCoy started in "Time and the Rani", Doctor Who was already in serious trouble. The previous Doctor, Colin Baker, had basically been fired from the series. Understandably, he wouldn't come back even to do the regeneration sequence at the beginning of the ep (which is why you don't actually see the 6th Doctor's face, it was just McCoy in a curly wig). For his first season, they started with Mel, who I always found a bit screechy and annoying, and they had 7 acting like a bit of a clown. Over time, the 7th Doctor got a bit darker (both as a character and in his wardrobe), and when Ace joined the show really started finding its feet again. From Remembrance of the Daleks on are some excellent eps. It's a shame that the series was still cancelled despite the improvement in the quality of show compared to previous years.

Once Ace appears, you also get the "masterplan" version of the 7th Doctor. In other incarnations, the Doctor tends to wander around randomly, accidentally showing up in the middle of trouble. But the 7th Doctor was a bit more organized than any of his other incarnations, and his "accidental" appearances tend to be part of a plan that he doesn't reveal to his companion until afterwards.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

I've changed this thread title a bit to make this a more general discussion of anything about the Seventh Doctor Era, rather than just about the Seventh Doctor.

Mel. Ace. The "Cartmel Masterplan". The usual suspects: the Master, the Cybermen, the Daleks and Davros. The end of the classic series. The expanded universe of Seventh Doctor adventures that continued on through books and audios to the 1996 TV Movie and beyond.

I know Andie's watching through the Seventh Doctor episodes. Has anyone else here seen any Seventh Doctor? Tell us what you think!

Oh, and if there's interest, we could open up other threads to discuss other Doctor eras.

Andie, having impressively sat all the way through Time and the Rani (certainly not the best example of the Seventh Doctor era), what did you think of the next story, Paradise Towers?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

If you make a list, add me to it. I love 7th Doctor.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
If you make a list, add me to it. I love 7th Doctor.
What do you like in particular? Favourite story?

My favourite 7th Doctor story is Remembrance of the Daleks, although Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric are pretty good too.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Val, thanks for adding it to the thread guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I've changed this thread title a bit to make this a more general discussion of anything about the Seventh Doctor Era, rather than just about the Seventh Doctor.
Thanks It's good to have a place to discuss all thing related to 7

Quote:
Andie, having impressively sat all the way through Time and the Rani (certainly not the best example of the Seventh Doctor era), what did you think of the next story, Paradise Towers?
Overall not a bad episode. I liked it's message: Even if you have been fighting against each other for quiet some time, there are times when you just need to work with your enemy in order to survive. You might even discover that the people supposed to be your enemy can be your friends or that you can at least work with them together without killing each other at first sight.

The story itself was okay, not outstanding in a good or bad way. I got the impression that most of the characters seemed to represent a stereotype

About the Doctor: I liked the way he made his escape from the caretakers. He used that they were blindly following the rules written down in the instructions book - or in the Doctors case - what was supposed to be written in the book - to get out.

Regarding Mel as a companion: Mel seems to be screaming awful lot, isn't she? I am not really sure what to think about Mel yet. I guess we'll see after the next few episodes
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Total Fan

Nice to see a new thread for 7 and that whole era. He was my first Doctor, and you know how the saying goes! I remember watching the series at the time even though I was probably a bit young to rerally appreciate most of it. I'd love to see it all again now. I loved Sophie Aldred as Ace though, I probably wanted to be her when I grew up
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andie- (View Post)
About the Doctor: I liked the way he made his escape from the caretakers. He used that they were blindly following the rules written down in the instructions book - or in the Doctors case - what was supposed to be written in the book - to get out.
The Doctor has always been clever, but it seemed like Seven was almost more so than the others - more prepared, more prone to developing complicated plans. He's one of the shortest incarnations of the Doctor too, so that seems to be a part of his character too - instead of diving headlong into a problem and blustering his way through, he takes a more understated and subtle approach. Putting enemies off their guard by appearing to be harmless and silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andie- (View Post)
Regarding Mel as a companion: Mel seems to be screaming awful lot, isn't she? I am not really sure what to think about Mel yet. I guess we'll see after the next few episodes
Poor Mel ... she was a holdover from a rather annoying period of Doctor Who (i.e. the Sixth Doctor era) when the people making the show made some rather odd and unpopular choices (e.g. the Sixth Doctor's jacket). The screaming, the carrot juice, the bad 80s wardrobe - it was such a relief when she left and Ace replaced her (who was, IMO, the best companion for a number of years, since Romana left the show). I don't fault Bonnie Langford for it though, I've heard some 7/Mel audios since that were way better than any of the TV episodes she appeared in.

The most noteworthy thing about Mel was the weird way she joined the Doctor - during the previous Sixth Doctor season, Trial of a Time Lord, video of her travelling with Six was shown to Six before he'd actually knew who she was. It was never explained how Mel and the Doctor originally met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandelier2 (View Post)
I loved Sophie Aldred as Ace though, I probably wanted to be her when I grew up
Back during the first season of New Who, it got on my nerves at times when people would go on about how oh so different Rose was to any previous companion, how she was so feisty and always challenged the Doctor. But so did Ace. Ace and the Seventh Doctor made a great team, they challenged each other but were also very loyal and worked very well together.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Back during the first season of New Who, it got on my nerves at times when people would go on about how oh so different Rose was to any previous companion, how she was so feisty and always challenged the Doctor. But so did Ace. Ace and the Seventh Doctor made a great team, they challenged each other but were also very loyal and worked very well together.
Very good point. I was also a bit miffed about how everyone thought Rose was so different from all the previous companions. Having really only known Ace and Mel as companions before her I think Ace's personality and gutsiness (totally just typed gustiness - I don't think she had wind problems ) stuck in my mind. The flags went up when Rose appeared!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked him when he first started when he mixed up sayings and things. He was very funny. And anything to do with Doctor/Ace was really fantastic. I think I just loved the fun transition to the darker stuff. As to favorite story...I'd really have to think about it...liked Survival and the Silver Nemesis quite a bit.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
I liked him when he first started when he mixed up sayings and things. He was very funny. And anything to do with Doctor/Ace was really fantastic. I think I just loved the fun transition to the darker stuff.
I thought McCoy was more charismatic as the Doctor than the previous two (nothing against Colin and Peter, but I never warmed up to their Doctors much in the TV series), whether he was doing silly or serious. He was a bit like CE, where he could seem happy and silly one minute, then turn dark and serious.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree...there are alot of similarities between Chris' Doctor and Sylvester's. But I loved Peter's doctor. That's why I was so thrilled to see him in Time Crash.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Master Fan

I just found there wasn't enough humour with the Fifth Doctor, because they were trying to be different from the Fourth Doctor. I didn't dislike him, I just didn't find him that engaging. I've gained a better appreciation of the Fifth Doctor since through his audio plays. But it was definitely nice to see him in Time Crash - I'm glad the new series has now so thoroughly embraced it's past like that in recent seasons. In the first season they were very resistant to acknowledge the old show.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's important because the show has seen so many years, that's something to be proud of. It's far better to acknowledge where you come from, and learn from past mistakes that to completely ignore it and fall prey to the same things.

"Hello, I'm the Doctor and this is my friend..." ---> was justing thinking of doctor stuff and it was the first thing that came to mind.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread