Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 AM
  #1
Elite Fan

 
Nikki K's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 38,537
Romanadvoratrelundar/Lalla Ward & Mary Tamm #1: Call me Fred!

Romanadvoratrelundar/Lalla Ward & Mary Tamm #1: Call me Fred!

I saw this thread is very much needed as it simply was not there before! I'm still in shock.

Be it as may, Romanadvoratrelundar -- Timelady, Four's travel companion through seasons 16 to 18, K9's mistress and later President of Gallifrey (anyone listening to the audiobooks?).

Let's start with discussion about her two incarnations (and the respective actresses, Ms. Ward and Ms. Tamm). Also speculation about future incarnations -- personally I'm still convinced that Lucy Saxon is Romana III, it's the hair.

Come in, let's talk!
__________________
Happy thoughts,
Nina

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 AM
  #2
System Engineer

 
Raonaild's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Be it as may, Romanadvoratrelundar -- Timelady, Four's travel companion through seasons 16 to 18, K9's mistress and later President of Gallifrey (anyone listening to the audiobooks?).
Yes, and I've started a Doctor Who audio thread. I just recently bought the whole Gallifrey series (Big Finish had a summer sale), and so far I've listed through the first series. I've also listened to the Doctor Who plays she's in - The Apocalypse Element, Neverland and Zagreus. And the audio version of Shada of course.

I loved Romana as a companion, a true equal to the Doctor. In some of the audio stuff though, even though you can't see her, I can practically hear her rolling her eyes, she's so sarcastic and condescending. I was never that impressed with the eye-rolly side of Romana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Let's start with discussion about her two incarnations (and the respective actresses, Ms. Ward and Ms. Tamm). Also speculation about future incarnations -- personally I'm still convinced that Lucy Saxon is Romana III, it's the hair.
Perhaps Lucy Saxon was Romana evil twin - the real Romana would never have put up with that behaviour from the Doctor, nevermind the Master. But I like to think that some day we'll see other Time Lords return to the universe, and first in line will be Romana.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 AM
  #3
Elite Fan

 
Nikki K's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 38,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)

Perhaps Lucy Saxon was Romana evil twin - the real Romana would never have put up with that behaviour from the Doctor, nevermind the Master.
Well, clearly she was human in the episode. I was thinking along the lines of how we saw the Doctor as well as the Master transformed into humans this season. As in, she escaped at the end of the Time War and made herself human. I can see the Master playing a cruel joke, finding her, doing all these things to her she normally - as you said - would never allow to happen.
__________________
Happy thoughts,
Nina

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:50 AM
  #4
System Engineer

 
Raonaild's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Well, clearly she was human in the episode. I was thinking along the lines of how we saw the Doctor as well as the Master transformed into humans this season. As in, she escaped at the end of the Time War and made herself human. I can see the Master playing a cruel joke, finding her, doing all these things to her she normally - as you said - would never allow to happen.
Intriguing, I hadn't thought of it like that. I have a fairly fixed picture of the Time War worked out in my head, and Romana would be a central player in it. And since the Master ran away and became human before the end of the War, didn't seem to know what happened to the Time Lords until the Doctor told him in Sound of Drums, and didn't have a fully functional TARDIS to go off investigation what happened, Lucy Saxon = Romana doesn't quite compute for me. But it's an interesting idea, it would be a reasonable way to bring her back.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
  #5
Elite Fan

 
Nikki K's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 38,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
And since the Master ran away and became human before the end of the War, didn't seem to know what happened to the Time Lords until the Doctor told him in Sound of Drums, and didn't have a fully functional TARDIS to go off investigation what happened, Lucy Saxon = Romana doesn't quite compute for me.
Fair enough. But I have trouble understanding that line of reasoning. After all, he only met her after he met the Doctor and he learnt all these things.

Anyway.
__________________
Happy thoughts,
Nina

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM
  #6
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Fair enough. But I have trouble understanding that line of reasoning. After all, he only met her after he met the Doctor and he learnt all these things.

Anyway.
Resurrecting this thread in honor of both ladies to play Romana.


The Key to Time was Mary Tamm's first and only televisual season as Romana I and she-and that season-remain tragically underated today.

I hope to find a new audience who can talk about what they liked about either actress, their work on Doctor Who, and what they have been up to since.


Sadly, Mary Tamm passed away on July 26, 2012, but with this box set of her stories still available, her legacy as a Time Lord carries on....
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM
  #7
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
Update: I recieved both volumes of Mary's autobiography in the post recently and have begin perusing through them. She was a remarkeable woman and the books and her work on Doctor Who both reflect that. Within hours of giving her eulogy, her husband succumbed to a heart attack and passed away. So both are now together in eternity.....
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 AM
  #8
Fan Forum Star

 
Summer Falls's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 190,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Update: I recieved both volumes of Mary's autobiography in the post recently and have begin perusing through them. She was a remarkeable woman and the books and her work on Doctor Who both reflect that. Within hours of giving her eulogy, her husband succumbed to a heart attack and passed away. So both are now together in eternity.....
Wow thats sad and sweet
__________________
. Everyone loves a mystery .
one year + 25,000
@ Nancy Drew board
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 PM
  #9
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
Its a love story for the ages. He couldnt bear being without her. And I dont blame him for one minute. Just a few days after Mary passed, he was quoted as saying he was more in awe of Mary than he was in love with her, but tthat he loved her completely.

Last edited by CommanderM; 02-06-2016 at 11:46 PM
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:49 AM
  #10
Fan Forum Star

 
Summer Falls's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 190,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Its a love story for the ages. He couldnt bear being without her. And I dont blame him for one minute. Just a few days after Mary passed, he was quoted as saying he was more in awe of Mary than he was in love with her, but tthat he loved her completely.
nice

i must say they had great style

__________________
. Everyone loves a mystery .
one year + 25,000
@ Nancy Drew board
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 AM
  #11
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
That they did. I am further into my reading of Volume 1, where she is talking about meeting Tom Baker for the audition and how her first costume wasnt working out the way the designers had hoped. "Too white and featherey," said Tom.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
  #12
Fan Forum Star

 
Summer Falls's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 190,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
That they did. I am further into my reading of Volume 1, where she is talking about meeting Tom Baker for the audition and how her first costume wasnt working out the way the designers had hoped. "Too white and featherey," said Tom.
lol i wonder what it was ??
__________________
. Everyone loves a mystery .
one year + 25,000
@ Nancy Drew board
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 PM
  #13
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
lol i wonder what it was ??
It was the costume she wore in The Ribos Operation, the first serial of the seasonlong Key to Time series
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 AM
  #14
Fan Forum Star

 
Summer Falls's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 190,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
It was the costume she wore in The Ribos Operation, the first serial of the seasonlong Key to Time series
thank you i looked it up not to bad she looks great in it





saw this drawing pretty amazing

__________________
. Everyone loves a mystery .
one year + 25,000
@ Nancy Drew board
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM
  #15
Absolute Fan

 
CommanderM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,565
No, she doesnt look bad at all in it. She looks beautiful.
Thanks for the pics!
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
Agents of GUARD, Jenna Louise Coleman France
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2020.

Copyright © 1998-2020, Fan Forum.


TEST