Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethamgal (View Post)
:bumping:

just watched the first episode with her and the 11th doctor so sassy got 2 questions

1) how does she travel trough time and space? or does she not age???
2) she knows how to write in Galifrain .. how ? did the doctor teach her?
1) At that point in her timestream she had a Vortex Manipulator, and no, she doesn't age the same way we do
2) Either she was born with that knowledge or the Doctor/TARDIS taught her
Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ thank you i didn't remember the first bit but i thought the doctor would of taught her the other one
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Master Fan

That makes perfect sense,but I think it's also why River gets hate/seen as a Sue.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
That makes perfect sense,but I think it's also why River gets hate/seen as a Sue.
For what?.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Add me please... I've grown to really like this character. I did a marathon, and basically ran through her whole story in a week. Finished up last night.
Tumblr || icon by me || Josie
Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepThisaSecret (View Post)
Add me please... I've grown to really like this character. I did a marathon, and basically ran through her whole story in a week. Finished up last night.
Adding now

I must say at the start she was so amazing and the twist was great
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't expect her to be Melody. That just, WOW!
Tumblr || icon by me || Josie
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepThisaSecret (View Post)
I didn't expect her to be Melody. That just, WOW!
Lol yer i remember watching that and being so amazed .. its sad that she didnt have a normal childhood
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethamgal (View Post)
For what?.
I've gotten tired of defending River and saying she isn't a Sue. b/c she's a child of the Tardis she isn't human like Rose. She can't age much like the Doctor and she was able to give him energy. The Doctor probably did teach her about Gallifreyan, which still doesn't make her a sue. She was more than just his love interest and the one who "kills" him. She's Melody Pond and she has her own storyline with her parents.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I've gotten tired of defending River and saying she isn't a Sue. b/c she's a child of the Tardis she isn't human like Rose. She can't age much like the Doctor and she was able to give him energy. The Doctor probably did teach her about Gallifreyan, which still doesn't make her a sue. She was more than just his love interest and the one who "kills" him. She's Melody Pond and she has her own storyline with her parents.
Yer True I would never call her a sue I think people just didn't like her character some didn't and some just wished she was with the doctor .. But I do like her she's another version of a jack to me and I loved jack
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Ugh, the Mary Sue argument is one I particularly hate. Not only is very easy to fit pretty much every character into it by making some selective description (Rose, Donna, Clara, Amy and pretty much all of the companions could be conveniently fitted in that frame) and therefore is a lazy one, but also it is so tiring to keep seeing it tossed around.

River is one of the most amazing characters fiction has given us and nothing is gonna change my mind about it. The way her story was presented was so revolutionary, and is not just me saying that.

My sister just graduated as a screen-writer and one of her final courses was actually a study on River's character, a character written out of order, starting with her death, etc. The professor made them study the character as an example of innovative narrative and it made me so happy when my sister called me to let me know what they were studying.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ that's amazing that they did that cause she is one of those few characters that we saw her ending before her beginning

I do agree the other ladies ( Rose, Donna, Clara, Amy) are more of a Mary Sue than River was
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Master Fan

I think the term in and of itself has gone out of control. These days, authors all hesitate to write female characters for the fear that it'll get them called the M word. I feel so strongly about this that I'm going to write up on it. I don't go to school anymore, but I do have a project I started when I was in a media program. That and a fandom blog I never actually used.

Jack is a Gary Stu b/c it's obvious that Russell Davies wishes he was Jack. I think Rose was more of a Sue b/c she actually got her happy ending with the doctor, even it the was they did it was silly.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I think the term in and of itself has gone out of control. These days, authors all hesitate to write female characters for the fear that it'll get them called the M word. I feel so strongly about this that I'm going to write up on it. I don't go to school anymore, but I do have a project I started when I was in a media program. That and a fandom blog I never actually used.

Jack is a Gary Stu b/c it's obvious that Russell Davies wishes he was Jack. I think Rose was more of a Sue b/c she actually got her happy ending with the doctor, even it the was they did it was silly.
U think jack was?.. rose definatly was .. that ending was werid
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Master Fan

I do. I don't know if Davies admitted it outright, but my friend gave me several examples that showed that Jack is self-fulfillment for Davies. It doesn't matter since Jack is awesome,but he is a Stu.