Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
New Fan

Paul McGann/8th Doctor Appreciation - He's a Doctor - but probably not the one you're expecting

Paul got stuck having to the the Doctor Who Movie I think he should get some Appreciation for that.

I didn't see one of these so here it is.

1.timinater94
2. Raonaild
3.Almeida's Amy
4. scififan2009
5.MelBelle2
6.sethamgal
7. King of Cool
8. Sursonica
9. Melanie Garcia
10. albion_princes
11. sourburst
12. One Thing Remains

Last edited by One Thing Remains; 01-17-2018 at 08:08 PM
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Master Fan

I can't say I cared for McGann that much in the TV movie, but to be fair I think that was mostly the script's fault. The story started with the Seventh Doctor, then when he did regenerate into Eight he was disoriented and not behaving as the Doctor normally, and then the story went over the top in places. There were a few good Eighth Doctor moments in the ep, like when the Doctor got away from the cop by threatening to shoot himself (rather than threatening the cop with the gun, as you'd normally expect), but it was over much too quickly.

I tried reading a few Eighth Doctor books as well, but the ones I read were just a little too weird for me, I didn't really enjoy them.

I like the Eighth Doctor best in audio. Zagreus, Chimes of Midnight, most of the Eight/Lucie Miller stories for example.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Elite Fan

Shame he never got a chance to show what he could do but with the direction they were going to take the show in after the movie, I'm glad it wasn't picked up!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

Since Moffat took over, the Doctor seems to occassionally be able to copy what people are saying as they say it, for example in The Eleventh Hour where he asks Rory about his camera, then Rory explains about the coma patients and the Doctor copies what Rory was saying. They haven't really explain why he can do that, whether it's due to Time Lord telepathy, a sort of near-future precognition or whether his brain works so fast he reaches the right conclusion at the same time that he's told the answer. If it is telepathy, it's different to the telepathy that the Doctor has used in other situations, where he has to touch a person and concentrate to use it.

Whatever it is, that new ability of the Eleventh Doctor always reminded me a bit of the Eighth Doctor, who seemed to know things he shouldn't have known, like when he seems to know why Grace decided to become a doctor.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Elite Fan

I love that quality!!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Master Fan

I still hope that McGann gets a chance to reprise the Eighth Doctor on the new series. He's the only Doctor (other than Eccleston or Tennant) who could appear on the show and they wouldn't have to make some crazy excuse for why he looked older. The only problem is that he's also the least known Doctor, since he was only in the TV movie.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I still hope that McGann gets a chance to reprise the Eighth Doctor on the new series. He's the only Doctor (other than Eccleston or Tennant) who could appear on the show and they wouldn't have to make some crazy excuse for why he looked older. The only problem is that he's also the least known Doctor, since he was only in the TV movie.
I agree but would still rather have the lot of them- get Tom Baker and say it was taken during Meglos where he aged in that machine. For the rest you can use the time-differential thing but say that the younger the Doctor was the worse they were effected- so say Peter Davison was only 560 years old (Just say) he'd be effected worse than Tennant (900 years old or so he says- I think he lies about his age- rule 1 right- the Doctor lies! :lol) Maybe they could use this as a way of explaining the Doctor's age! As for McGann, he'd look a bit older so it would effect him but its not as visual as some of the older doctors.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Master Fan

I can see them bringing other Doctors back for the novelty of it, like The Five Doctors or Dimensions in Time.

Another way they bring back the other actors who played the Doctor is something more like they did in Zagreus, as sort of representations of the Doctor's psyche rather than literally bringing back past Doctors.

But I thought they could also bring the Eighth Doctor back for a proper story with two versions of the Doctor, ideally to cover what happened that lead him to regenerate into Nine.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

I like all his adventures with Charlie. Haven't gotten to the ones with Lucy yet.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

Lately I've been trying to catch up on the stories with Mary Shelley, starting with The Company of Friends. I like that one because it's four short stories with companions that had never travelled with the Eighth Doctor in a Big Finish story before.

What's your favourite Charley story?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I can see them bringing other Doctors back for the novelty of it, like The Five Doctors or Dimensions in Time.

Another way they bring back the other actors who played the Doctor is something more like they did in Zagreus, as sort of representations of the Doctor's psyche rather than literally bringing back past Doctors.

But I thought they could also bring the Eighth Doctor back for a proper story with two versions of the Doctor, ideally to cover what happened that lead him to regenerate into Nine.
I would absolutely love another Five Doctors type episode- I loved it! It would have to be for the 50th though. Zagreus idea is interesting- as good as it was I did find it a bit disjointed though.

Incidently when Tennant was first rumoured to be leaving (End of Series 3) I suggested a great idea would be to get him to stay longer, but for him to have a break, was when the Master aged him all those years, was for Jack or Martha to get hold of the Lazer Screwdriver and reverse it but before he can get back to his normal age, the Master lunges at Jack/Martha and the screwdriver settings change so instead of Tennant's doctor getting younger, it was the Doctor getting younger and unregenerating- so see a slightly older ninth, eighth etc and then the Master accidently smashes the screwdriver in the process and he ends up stuck as a slightly older fourth Doctor (Meaning the return of Tom for half a season) before they somehow mangage to get the Tenth Doctor back. I was thinking they could still use this to bring back McGann in a future episode- have the Doctor's life reversed and him ending back as the Eighth Doctor.

First line
"Oh no not me again"

Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
I would absolutely love another Five Doctors type episode- I loved it! It would have to be for the 50th though. Zagreus idea is interesting- as good as it was I did find it a bit disjointed though.
It may be some kind of heresy to say this, but as much as I also enjoyed The Five Doctors, I thought that story-wise Zagreus was better. Zagreus is a pretty complicated story though, it took me a few goes before I appreciated all of it. I liked that it had Davison, Baker and McCoy and all those companions in it but playing different parts, I liked Nick Courtney's role in the story, and I liked all the TV and BF story continuity worked into the plot.

One of my favourite scenes in Zagreus was the Cheshire Cat, the Eighth Doctor and the Schrodinger's cat experiment.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I get what you're saying and it is an interesting concept. I think if they wanted to do a multi-doctor story during any point in Doctor Who, a Zagreus type episode would be great (Although can it be done in 1 or 2 episodes?) but for the 50th anniversary, I would prefer a simple, Five Doctors type celebration- get as many Doctors as possible, past companions, past villains etc- and make it as mad and as wonderful as possible.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
What's your favourite Charley story?
Probably Seasons of Fear.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009

Probably Seasons of Fear.
Interesting choice, why that one?

Not my favourite, but ...

Spoiler:
Closed Thread   Post New Thread