Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Master Fan

One thing I like about the classic series is that they didn't let the lack of budget or technology hold them back from making ambitious stories. They'd make crazy aliens from plungers, tinfoil and bubble wrap, represent an army with 5 guys, run down the same corridors endless times because they couldn't build more, whatever they had to do to try to tell the story. Often it fell short of what they wanted to do, but they did it anyway, and the actors did a heroic job trying to sell the story to the audience in spite of weaknesses with the sets/props/effects.

It's one of the reasons Doctor Who works so well in audio - they're able to tell even more ambitious stories than they did in the original series, but they're not held back by sets/props/effects because it's all left up to the listener's imagination.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Elite Fan

Sometimes I like that classic who is more about the stories, than spending time on individual character arcs for the companions. Not that they didn't have them.

Last edited by scififan2009; 01-17-2012 at 04:00 PM
scififan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Sometimes I like that classic who is more about the stories, than spending time on individual character arcs for the companions. Not that they didn't have them.
Totally agreed- it was far more understated- when a companion left there wasnt the big fanfare there is now- just simple, understated. Which imo was far more effective...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Master Fan

I thought that the Doctor was a little too detached at times in the Classic series. I like that they go into new emotional territory in the new series, although they do take it too far at times (e.g. Rose).

I like that in the classic series that they didn't keep reusing the same villains every year. Like during the 7 years of Tom Baker (~40 stories), they only had 2 Dalek stories (one of which is considered one of the best of the entire series), 1 Cyberman story, 2 Sontaran stories, and 3 with the Master. All of the other stories had their own villian, many of whom were only used for the one story.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I thought that the Doctor was a little too detached at times in the Classic series. I like that they go into new emotional territory in the new series, although they do take it too far at times (e.g. Rose).

I like that in the classic series that they didn't keep reusing the same villains every year. Like during the 7 years of Tom Baker (~40 stories), they only had 2 Dalek stories (one of which is considered one of the best of the entire series), 1 Cyberman story, 2 Sontaran stories, and 3 with the Master. All of the other stories had their own villian, many of whom were only used for the one story.
Yeah maybe but compare this:

to the Rose Saga or Post Donna etc- it went on for ages. Whereas the above was the last of the season, it was simple, understated and deverstating for the Doctor.

But yeah on the second part I agree- they didn't use them a lot but when they did it was special, which is why those villains are famous today...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Master Fan

That parting of Three and Jo Grant was probably the most emotional of the classic series. Another one was Four and Sarah Jane. But most farewells were a lot more brief and casual. I agree with the Rose thing, I didn't like the way she lingered on the show even when she wasn't actually around anymore. But on the other hand, I think it's reasonable that the Doctor refers to his previous companions on occasion, which he didn't do much in the classic series.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
That parting of Three and Jo Grant was probably the most emotional of the classic series. Another one was Four and Sarah Jane. But most farewells were a lot more brief and casual. I agree with the Rose thing, I didn't like the way she lingered on the show even when she wasn't actually around anymore. But on the other hand, I think it's reasonable that the Doctor refers to his previous companions on occasion, which he didn't do much in the classic series.
I think Susan, Zoe/Jamie, Jo, Sarah and to a lesser extent Nyssa, Tygan were the most emotional departures along with Adric. Least emotional would arguably be Romana and Leela...

Just realised- it took 5 years for Rose to go properly- 2006-2010! Glad she doesnt get mentioned as much with 11
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
I think Susan, Zoe/Jamie, Jo, Sarah and to a lesser extent Nyssa, Tygan were the most emotional departures along with Adric. Least emotional would arguably be Romana and Leela...
Adric leaving was supposed to be emotional, they turned the music off in the closing credits and everything. But I found it hard to take seriously, I was not unhappy that he left.

Yeah, Rose was a part of the show the entire time RTD was in charge. To me Rose is a cautionary tale about why the Doctor shouldn't get too attached to a companion, I don't think it's good for the show. Eventually, every companion will leave, the Doctor has to be able to let go and move on when they do.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Elite Fan

But in classic who I always saw it as more of a paternal love, because he was always the older guy with the young, innocent and inexperienced, friend. Like a Jedi and his apprentice (star wars reference).

Of course, nowadays people would talk about that kind of thing. Older man hanging out, even living, with so many young women. But then, what's the point of having two hearts if he can't use them both to love the people in his life, even if it's just platonic?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Adric leaving was supposed to be emotional, they turned the music off in the closing credits and everything. But I found it hard to take seriously, I was not unhappy that he left..
Wait why werent u happy? I was delighted lol

and scififan totally agreed- it was like Pertwee said about the cape and the mother hen
Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
But in classic who I always saw it as more of a paternal love, because he was always the older guy with the young, innocent and inexperienced, friend. Like a Jedi and his apprentice (star wars reference).

Of course, nowadays people would talk about that kind of thing. Older man hanging out, even living, with so many young women. But then, what's the point of having two hearts if he can't use them both to love the people in his life, even if it's just platonic?
I think the relationship between Doctor and companions depended on who the Doctor and the companions were. Often, it was paternal because the Doctor was much older, and his companion was a much younger female. In some cases though, the Doctor/companion relationship seemed a bit different - 3rd Doctor and Jo Grant, Four and Sarah Jane, Four and Romana, for example. But this was why they didn't get into the emotional territory back then that they do now, because back then it wouldn't have been more controversial to get into things like that, especially on a family show.

But even in the classic series, I think it's there as subtext in some cases. There's a reason that Sarah Jane was portrayed as the "ex" in School Reunion, she had a similar sort of relationship with the Doctor that Rose had at that time.

Oh, and in case there was any misunderstanding, I think Adric was the worst companion ever, and his performance as exemplified in his farewell episode is one of the reasons why. Adric knew he was about to die, but there was nothing heroic or touching in that acting in his last scenes.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Elite Fan

Ah yeah- I was on my phone when I read that, I'd just woken up and misread it evidently. Adric is the worst, or joint worse with Donna and Turlough. Apparantly the actor was a pain to work with as well. Lalla Ward in particular, found him brattish. And he apparantly told these guest actors- highly thought of actors- who came in for a couple of episodes, how to do a scene! He had a major ego, which added to why I find him unlikable...
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Master Fan

I think Adric was the worst companion. Second would probably be Peri for me, especially when she was with the Sixth Doctor, I hated watching the two of them go at each other. I honestly couldn't see why Peri kept traveling with the Doctor as long as she did, it didn't make sense. And her American accent was off too, which didn't help matters.

It's totally different listening to the Sixth Doctor and Peri on Big Finish, they've made an real effort to rehabilitate their characters and make them more likeable.

There are a few other companions that I wasn't that didn't care much for, but didn't actively dislike the way I did Adric and Peri. Turlough, Tegan, Leela and Mel would probably be on that list. I didn't care for Jo Grant because I found the time with her and the Doctor to be the most sexist in the show's long history.

Favourite classic series companions would probably be Sarah Jane, Ace and the Brig (if he counts as a companion). I also like both Romanas, K-9, Harry Sullivan, Nyssa, Liz Shaw, Benton (if he counts) and Jamie.

Then there are a bunch of 1st and 2nd Doctor companions that I'm not sure about, as I don't feel like I've seen enough of them to like or dislike them.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think Adric was the worst companion. Second would probably be Peri for me, especially when she was with the Sixth Doctor, I hated watching the two of them go at each other. I honestly couldn't see why Peri kept traveling with the Doctor as long as she did, it didn't make sense. And her American accent was off too, which didn't help matters.

It's totally different listening to the Sixth Doctor and Peri on Big Finish, they've made an real effort to rehabilitate their characters and make them more likeable.

There are a few other companions that I wasn't that didn't care much for, but didn't actively dislike the way I did Adric and Peri. Turlough, Tegan, Leela and Mel would probably be on that list. I didn't care for Jo Grant because I found the time with her and the Doctor to be the most sexist in the show's long history.

Favourite classic series companions would probably be Sarah Jane, Ace and the Brig (if he counts as a companion). I also like both Romanas, K-9, Harry Sullivan, Nyssa, Liz Shaw, Benton (if he counts) and Jamie.

Then there are a bunch of 1st and 2nd Doctor companions that I'm not sure about, as I don't feel like I've seen enough of them to like or dislike them.
Turlough and Donna would be far worse than Peri, who I actually quite liked- didn't think she was brilliant, but didn't dislike her either. My favourite companion (If the Brig/Benton/Yates trio don't count) would be Jo Grant. Yes the era was sexist, but I just found her far more likable and endearing then any of the others- she just had a natural joy and wonder with a great love for the Doctor. Plus she added different qualities to the show- escapology etc- no companion has had that ability. She is actually the only one I had a particularly strong opinion over- I quite liked Leela, Jamie, Zoe, Victoria, K9, Romanas, Sarah Jane, Ace etc- but it was the UNIT crew that was the main one for me
Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Master Fan

Generally I watch Doctor Who for the Doctor, the companions are secondary. I don't need to like them, but I find I actively dislike some. Peri and Adric I disliked, whereas Turlough was just there.

But speaking of Turlough ... the TARDIS crew while he was around was excessively large. The Fifth Doctor generally had an entourage of at least 3 others (Tegan/Nyssa/Adric, then Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough). While I'm glad that Moffat had the Doctor travel with more than one companion in parts of S5/S6, the size of the crew in Davison's time was probably too much. 1 or 2 companions seems to be okay, but more than that and you loose focus on the Doctor.
Reply   Post New Thread