Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Extreme Fan

The Old School Appreciation Thread: "One day I shall come back..."

All the threads here so far seem to be about new school stuff.

But what about old school?

There have gotta be some old school fans out there.

Let's talk about how awesome the Brigadier is and how cute Ian and Barbara are together and how we love Jamie's kilt.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Master Fan

Well, not quite all, there's a Sarah Jane thread, Romana, General Master thread and a Ten Doctor s thread, so not all.

But classic series rocks, so more is good.

Ian/Barbara =
I agree the Brig is awesome and Jamie's kilt is awesome

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Extreme Fan

I saw the Sarah Jane Smith thread.

But I'm blind and didn't see the Romana or general Master thread lol.

But... still... Not enough old school around.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

"Old School Who" is a pretty tall order for a single thread - that's 27 years worth!

Old School Who for me isn't one thing either ... the show changed a lot over the years, with changing Doctors, effects, producers, writers, etc. I think of New Who as just another part of the same continuum. And the best thing about New Who for me is that it's made by people who also loved Old School Who, and kept the new series true to the original, but updating it for the 21st century.

Maybe eventually we'll have a few classic threads open to specific Doctor eras, if there's interest.

Oh, and I love the Brig - the scene in The Three Doctors where he finally stepped into the TARDIS after working with the Doctor for how many years and seeing that the inside was bigger than the outside - the look on his face was priceless.

Third Doctor: Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does.
Sergeant Benton: It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, I guess we could just talk general old school stuff here.

We could have threads for specfic companions, and Doctors, and other characters too.

*shrug*

The Brigadier is the epitome of awesomeness.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Obsessed Fan

Its been along time since i watched any old DW, so its all i bit fuzzy for me now, but i know that the first Doctor i remember watching on tv was the Third, maybe a bit of Second but i don't really remember as i would have been very young at the time. I mostly watched Four and Five, a little bit of Six but stopped after that until the new series started.

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
The Kender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

Don't know where to put this but since this is a Classic Who thread, I figured here.

I just started to watch Classic Doctor Who last night.

I saw the first four episodes, plus the pilot. (It was called Doctor Who: The Beginnings on Netflix).

I rather liked it. I can completely see how people loved and enjoyed this back in the day.

The only thing that bothered me were some of the camera movements, way to choppy and it made me a little nauseous. But I still got a great kick out of watching those episodes.

I doubt we'd get much talk about them but what if we made threads that for each doctors years, like how the DVD's have them classified.

The William Hartnell Years, etc.

Though it could just be me rambling in this thread after each disc I watch. And that's OK too.

Nicole
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's exciting that you've started to watch the classic series!

I think for now we should stick with this thread, and if we notice there's enough interest, we can start separate threads for the Doctors there are already threads for the Fourth and Seventh Doctors, so if there's enough interest to start threads for the others too, I don't see why not!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well I doubt anyone will post in this but me, so I guess we'll just use this thread.

I love how the Daleks are almost the same, sound the same, just technology makes them prettier looking.

And I like the episodes were a half hour too.

Black and White definitely makes the Daleks a little creepier.

Nicole
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love that too, that the Daleks have pretty much stayed the same over 40 years, it says a lot about how good the original design was, that it still works nowadays

Quote:
Yeah black and white usually brings an extra air of mystery with it, I love that.

Which episode are you up to now?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

1.12 and 1.13, That's the last two I've got on The Beginnings DVD set. Then I'm watching Hotel Babylon S1, and then I think I go to New Who, S1 cause I stuck it in my queue wrong.

These two are a little creepy because it's something you can't see. Kind of like Silence in the library and stuff.

Nicole
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubandgeek05 (View Post)
Well I doubt anyone will post in this but me, so I guess we'll just use this thread.

I love how the Daleks are almost the same, sound the same, just technology makes them prettier looking.

And I like the episodes were a half hour too.

Nicole
Just wait until you see the old school version Cybermen...
stargazer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
New Fan

Like Nicole, I'm watching the old Who via Netflix...have watched a lot of the First Doctor and the Second....and over the weekend I watched *my* first ep with Three. It was called Spearhead in Space and I really enjoyed it. At the end the Doctor says his name is "John Smith." I wondered if anyone knows if that's the first time he used that psuednym.. (okay, so I can't spell).
stargazer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Obsessed Fan

hahaha, so when do the Cybermen show up? I've got a little bit before I've got old School Who again.

Nicole
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yes, the oldschool cybermen are MUCH scarier than the ones we have now, I agree they first show up in the last William Hartnell episode, The Tenth Planet.
Reply   Post New Thread