Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Elite Fan

Episode Discussion: 6x07 "A Good Man Goes to War" (mid-series finale)

[CENTER]A Good Man Goes to War

This is the episode. The episode where we finally find out who River Song is. Where the Doctor faces his darkest hour. Where Sontaran, Silurian and Cyber forces - for once - are not the most dangerous threats to the Time Lord. Where Amy and Rory must summon their courage as never before. Because this is the episode where A Good Man Goes to War.

18:40, Saturday 4 June, BBC One

prequel
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I am REALLY looking forward to this episode, but at the same time I don't want it to happen because I don't want it to be over yet
Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

So. Wow. Not unexpected, but yay! That was cool. Especially liked the bit about the Doctor not being a good man, because he's not.

Yolanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

Okay, I feel a bit disappointed now because somehow, to me, it was more than obvious that River would be Amy's kid.

So, that kid that regenerated was River/Melody? And River can actually regenerate?
I can't stop laughing about the whole River/Melody Pond/Song thing

What I don't understand is when River told the Doctor who she is, why did he make that kiss mouth?
Also, we still don't know who she is to the Doctor. Why does she know his name?

I have to admit, this episode did not blow me away. I loved Rory and everyone else and the 'good man' dialogue with River but ... I don't know. Just did not like it much.
|it's about time
Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Mehh, I'm so disappointed that the big reveal was basically what the internet has been saying all along. And not only that, but the second we heard that Amy's daughter's name was Melody Pond, it was so annoyingly obvious. As soon as she got that star, I knew that would be the key to figuring it out, too.

So yeah, bit of a let-down. I went into this episode expecting to get my mind blown.. sooo.. eh.

I did enjoy the rest of it, but it wasn't as spectacular as I would have hoped.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow!

What I found weird was how quickly things progressed at first and like they said it was too easy. But I did love how the Doctor recruited some old 'friends' and I kept wondering who would turn up next.

So River is Amy/Rory's baby but yes who is she to The Doctor? Could she also be his mother or is that too complicated?

Hate we have months to see the rest of the season.

OT - just wondering if there is a site or thread which lists the music used in the Confidential eps?

Last edited by lancer1993; 06-04-2011 at 03:28 PM
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

I did not even notice this because I turned it off before the end of the credits ... did you see that very last bit?

With the dead arm, the fading sonic and the words "Time is running out"? Wonder what that is about. (It better not be Rory's arm!)
Maybe THAT was the cliffhanger.
|it's about time
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Almeida (View Post)
I did not even notice this because I turned it off before the end of the credits ... did you see that very last bit?

With the dead arm, the fading sonic and the words "Time is running out"? Wonder what that is about. (It better not be Rory's arm!)
Huh wait what? either my copy of the episode cuts off before that, or mine doesn't have it.. when is that exactly?

ETA: I was just thinking, could it be possible that the Gallifreyan writing on the crib said the Doctor's real name? Which is how River would know his name?

Also, am I the only one who's weirded out by the fact that Moffat seems to have a thing for writing female characters who the Doctor meets as kids (or BABIES in this case) who he then later ends up kissing..? That's three times now!

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 06-04-2011 at 03:53 PM
indigo sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
Huh wait what? either my copy of the episode cuts off before that, or mine doesn't have it.. when is that exactly?
I didn't see that either.

Quote:
ETA: I was just thinking, could it be possible that the Gallifreyan writing on the crib said the Doctor's real name? Which is how River would know his name?
I was thinking the same thing. The fact that that was the Doctor's crib I thought was pretty cute too.

Quote:
Also, am I the only one who's weirded out by the fact that Moffat seems to have a thing for writing female characters who the Doctor meets as kids (or BABIES in this case) who he then later ends up kissing..? That's three times now!
True enough ... but it does make a lot of sense that young, impressionable girls would be attracted to the Doctor like that. Where it gets creepy is if the Doctor responds to it.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Almeida (View Post)

Not on my copy either, I'm getting the proper release now that fixes the sync before the credits, maybe it's on there?

Quote:
True enough ... but it does make a lot of sense that young, impressionable girls would be attracted to the Doctor like that. Where it gets creepy is if the Doctor responds to it.
Yeah it is a bit creepy with the whole 'stranger danger' message they tell kids
Old 06-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Not on my copy either, I'm getting the proper release now that fixes the sync before the credits, maybe it's on there?
Nope, that's the one I have... maybe I'm not looking in the right place
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Nope, that's the one I have... maybe I'm not looking in the right place
Maybe I have to wait 6 days for it to air on ABC here in AU?
Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I found it on YouTube:

YouTube - ‪Doctor Who Series 6 Autumn Teaser Time Runs Out‬‏

okay, that's weird
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

I find it difficult to assess the quality of this ep on its own, because it's another ep closely tied to the overall series arc, and we're still in the middle of that arc.

We did find out a few more things in this ep to be sure, but there are still a lot of questions:
- What happens to River between being Melody and being the River Song we know?
- Where was the Doctor going at the end of this ep?
- Who was the woman with the eyepatch and why did she do what she did?
- What was the future Doctor's plan in ep 1? What was he doing for 200 years, and why did he bring them all there to watch him die?
- Who killed the Doctor? And if it was young River/Melody as the evidence so far seems to suggest (since we saw her in the suit previously), what were the circumstances that led to that?
- Who is "A Good Man" in the title of this ep? Oddly, the ep didn't really clarify that.
- What's about "Silence will fall"?

I did think there were some very good moments in this ep though. Like Rory's confrontation with the Cybermen at the beginning, the Doctor dressing up as a headless monk (will we see more of those guys?) and confronting the general, the explanation for why the baby was a little bit Time Lord, the Doctor speaking 'baby', the crib, etc.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Thanks for that, it's too early to tell who's arm it is, but if I was betting and since it's the Doctors sonic screwdriver I'd say some how it's his arm. Dow is it just me of does it look like it's under water? Maybe it's the Doctor that was shot since they buried/burnt him in the lake.
Reply   Post New Thread