Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Yeah, I really liked the Impossible Girl story as it made it interesting as appose to the generic, default, bland romance that we seem to get lumbered with each year. With Clara and Capaldi's Doctor, she is great as they have good banter and a Pertwee-Jo Grant style raport. However, instead of the interesting, different story of the impossible girl, they've reverted to factory settings and written a boyfriend. As, apparantly, the show cannot exist without it.
Not all young viewers want to see endless romance and Buffy-style storylines. Because you know that is the age demographic they are doing this for. They insult young viewers capacity for intelligent ideas with such drivel. I am happy the series is looking at past Doctor/companion teams like Pertwee/Jo Grant for hopefully new ideas. This season has been very 70s-ish in look and having an older Doctor who is a fan of Jon Pertwee really helps.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Moderator Support Team

See i didnt like the impossible girl storyline at first with matts doctor cause it was really boring .. i like it now cause they have done more with storyline

With the 12th and clara i do agree it a nice change of partnership less romance more banter which is great

- Hayden Christensen
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Not all young viewers want to see endless romance and Buffy-style storylines. Because you know that is the age demographic they are doing this for. They insult young viewers capacity for intelligent ideas with such drivel. I am happy the series is looking at past Doctor/companion teams like Pertwee/Jo Grant for hopefully new ideas. This season has been very 70s-ish in look and having an older Doctor who is a fan of Jon Pertwee really helps.
Seriously. This. I couldn't put it better (Well... I probably could but then I'm just awesome ) but you are absolutely spot on. It is angsty/buffy/'teen' audience instead of the traditional family audience. It just astonishes me it really does. You're alienating large portions of the fanbase with the romance stuff.

And while we're at it, I'd take it back to the old format of 5 stories of 4-6 episodes of 25 minutes. I'd much prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
i like it now cause they have done more with storyline
See I disagree. Regardless on your thoughts to the impossible girl story, it was at least different, whereas now they've gone back to their failsafe mode of 'give the companion a boyfriend to ring every episode' which is dull and boring to me. Its been done and then some. So I don't think that they have done more with her storyline, they've done less, as they're doing what has been done with every Doctor Who assistant in the modern era: Chuck in a love interest.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Seriously. This. I couldn't put it better (Well... I probably could but then I'm just awesome ) but you are absolutely spot on. It is angsty/buffy/'teen' audience instead of the traditional family audience. It just astonishes me it really does. You're alienating large portions of the fanbase with the romance stuff.

And while we're at it, I'd take it back to the old format of 5 stories of 4-6 episodes of 25 minutes. I'd much prefer that.

See I disagree. Regardless on your thoughts to the impossible girl story, it was at least different, whereas now they've gone back to their failsafe mode of 'give the companion a boyfriend to ring every episode' which is dull and boring to me. Its been done and then some. So I don't think that they have done more with her storyline, they've done less, as they're doing what has been done with every Doctor Who assistant in the modern era: Chuck in a love interest.
Well the love thing is meh and im talking about the impossible storyline they are moving more into that and i like that with thale whole promise land thing .. i like that with hints every now and than is grest the question how did clara get the doctors number?.. those mysteries i missed in the last season we didnt have that

- Hayden Christensen
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Well the love thing is meh and im talking about the impossible storyline they are moving more into that and i like that with thale whole promise land thing .. i like that with hints every now and than is grest the question how did clara get the doctors number?.. those mysteries i missed in the last season we didnt have that
But the Promised Land etc is all part of a different story. None of that is related to impossible girl thing, so they are moving further away from that. I'll give you the mystery of how she got his number, but even that isn't strictly related to The impossible girl thing...

(I mean I hate the Promised Land thing as Missy is just really cringeworthy)
Old 10-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Fan

With Matt's Doctor, she only spend a year with him before he regenerated into twelve. With Twelve, it's more of a love and hate friendship.

Matt's doctor was more playful and child like.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
But the Promised Land etc is all part of a different story. None of that is related to impossible girl thing, so they are moving further away from that. I'll give you the mystery of how she got his number, but even that isn't strictly related to The impossible girl thing...

(I mean I hate the Promised Land thing as Missy is just really cringeworthy)
Oh so you dont like that other storyline either ?

^ I agree matt was childlike .. i remember reading a DW book explaining each doctor personality for 9th he was the solider/ war doctor , 10th was the lonely traveller , 11th doctor was the professor and i like those titles

- Hayden Christensen
Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Oh, I too would love for them to revive the old serialised format. I miss the constant cliffhangers in my watching, and think it would be smart to have more of them instead of independant single episodes.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh, I too would love for them to revive the old serialised format. I miss the constant cliffhangers in my watching, and think it would be smart to have more of them instead of independant single episodes.
My only fear with it is that Moffat seems to be totally incapable of writing a resolution to a cliffhanger...
Old 10-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
My only fear with it is that Moffat seems to be totally incapable of writing a resolution to a cliffhanger...
Now he does yes before he use to be so good

- Hayden Christensen
Old 10-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I know, right, I personally hate how they do the ending to an episode now and come back afterwards the following one without reshowing the cliffhanger moment and what led up to it. There really have not been any cliffhangers or two-parters since the middle of Matt Smith's run.I think that is a mistake but thats just me.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Fan

I feel like Moff is using too many storylines in this season.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I know, right, I personally hate how they do the ending to an episode now and come back afterwards the following one without reshowing the cliffhanger moment and what led up to it. There really have not been any cliffhangers or two-parters since the middle of Matt Smith's run.I think that is a mistake but thats just me.
The worst one for me was the cliffhanger of Name of the Doctor, where the Doctor is trapped in his own life stream. Perfect opportunity to bring back old Doctors for an epic 50th as he tries to fight his own demons in order to escape his life stream and face his fate in Trenzalore, no? Or, y'know, you could just set in 6 months later with no explanation at all of how they escaped. Eithers good.

Maybe a magic door appeared out of nowhere and took them back to the TARDIS... Lazy writing...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
The worst one for me was the cliffhanger of Name of the Doctor, where the Doctor is trapped in his own life stream. Perfect opportunity to bring back old Doctors for an epic 50th as he tries to fight his own demons in order to escape his life stream and face his fate in Trenzalore, no? Or, y'know, you could just set in 6 months later with no explanation at all of how they escaped. Eithers good.

Maybe a magic door appeared out of nowhere and took them back to the TARDIS... Lazy writing...
I so agree with that season 7 such a badly written season

- Hayden Christensen
Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I so agree with that season 7 such a badly written season
That is precisely the kind of writing I am talking about. The Name of the Doctor started off so promising and it gave us answers as to who Clara was. Should have been a slam dunk but the ending is never carried over and explained in the next one that they did. And Clara's story should have been done just like she says in the episode.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread