Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

Anybody else going to see Deep Breath in theatres? I'll be going tomorrow. I'm interested to see how it compares to the 50th - will the theatre be as packed like it was, and what the reaction of the other fans will be.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Loyal Fan

I have a wild theory about who the person at the end was. I will put it in spoiler tags just incase someone hasn't seen the episode.

Spoiler:
Bowtiesarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
Completely different subject - what about that comment from the Doctor that his new face looked familiar? I wonder if there's something to that, if we're going to find out that he actually chose this new look, maybe for a reason.
Watch The Fires of Pompeii. It was an episode during Tenant's run. Capaldi was in it as a resident of Pompeii. Apparently there's a storyline in there that RT Davis wanted to do, and has sort of let Moffat play with now that Capaldi's playing the doctor. While you're doing that watch Girl in the Fireplace, another Tenth Doctor episode that was written by Moffat and may seem a bit familiar after Deep Breath.

God, in that last confrontation with the droid, do you remember what he said? Badly Paraphrased: "If you replace the handle of a broom, then later the bristles is it still the same broom? No, but you can still sweep the floor....wait, that's off point, forget I said that. Look at you, you've replaced so many parts you're not even you anymore."
And he holds the plate up so the droid can see himself, and then of course we see it from the Doctor's point of view and HE's reflected back at HIMSELF and you realize who he was really talking about. And just the whole theme of replacement parts coinciding with the Doctor's regeneration...gah! Moffat's not my favorite but some things he does scarily well. I thought this Doctor, despite his sort of rough around the edges feel came across incredibly vulnerable and I loved it. Made the character feel very real to me. I'm in love with Capaldi already.

I will say Clara's characterization was kind of funky. I liked that she got to show a lot more personality here, but her being weirded out by the Doctor's regeneration and age felt inconsistent to me. Not only because of the whole Impossible Girl thing, but because of Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor. I also thought it was weird she was so frightened of a room full of children in her flashback when we know by the time she becomes a teacher she's already had to deal with Cybermen, ghosts, world eaters, the crimson horror, Martians, scattering herself across the Doctor's time line and various other life-and-death situations. And after all that she's afraid of school kids? Doesn't fit unless you establish that's an especially bad thing for her and something's she's afraid of even when she's faced much worse threats.

In any case, I liked it and I look forward to more.
Passing_Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Anybody else going to see Deep Breath in theatres? I'll be going tomorrow. I'm interested to see how it compares to the 50th - will the theatre be as packed like it was, and what the reaction of the other fans will be.
I wish I could of seen it in the movies but I had I don't know of it would be as busy at the day of the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passing_Through (View Post)
Watch The Fires of Pompeii. It was an episode during Tenant's run. Capaldi was in it as a resident of Pompeii. Apparently there's a storyline in there that RT Davis wanted to do, and has sort of let Moffat play with now that Capaldi's playing the doctor. While you're doing that watch Girl in the Fireplace, another Tenth Doctor episode that was written by Moffat and may seem a bit familiar after Deep Breath.

God, in that last confrontation with the droid, do you remember what he said? Badly Paraphrased: "If you replace the handle of a broom, then later the bristles is it still the same broom? No, but you can still sweep the floor....wait, that's off point, forget I said that. Look at you, you've replaced so many parts you're not even you anymore."
And he holds the plate up so the droid can see himself, and then of course we see it from the Doctor's point of view and HE's reflected back at HIMSELF and you realize who he was really talking about. And just the whole theme of replacement parts coinciding with the Doctor's regeneration...gah! Moffat's not my favorite but some things he does scarily well. I thought this Doctor, despite his sort of rough around the edges feel came across incredibly vulnerable and I loved it. Made the character feel very real to me. I'm in love with Capaldi already.

I will say Clara's characterization was kind of funky. I liked that she got to show a lot more personality here, but her being weirded out by the Doctor's regeneration and age felt inconsistent to me. Not only because of the whole Impossible Girl thing, but because of Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor. I also thought it was weird she was so frightened of a room full of children in her flashback when we know by the time she becomes a teacher she's already had to deal with Cybermen, ghosts, world eaters, the crimson horror, Martians, scattering herself across the Doctor's time line and various other life-and-death situations. And after all that she's afraid of school kids? Doesn't fit unless you establish that's an especially bad thing for her and something's she's afraid of even when she's faced much worse threats.

In any case, I liked it and I look forward to more.
Yer I think calpaldi has a lot of great things to him I just hope Moffat knows what his doing with him .. I must agree the whole Clara thing with the school room seemed really odd she doesn't seem like the type of person that can easily be pushed around

Ok see this is what I was talking about there is a connection * spoilers*

Spoiler:

Last edited by Summer Falls; 08-25-2014 at 05:52 AM
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Passionate Fan

With the kiss to share air, uh, the point of not breathing is not to have the chest movements associated with breathing, surely? Unless the robots detected carbon dioxide. So, getting air from someone else wouldn't help.
Kelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Don't know if there is a connection, they have used sets and locations on different eps before, the lobby Amy was in (when left behind) is the same building as the lobby for the hospital in the New New York ep with Rose in S2.
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
I wish I could of seen it in the movies but I had I don't know of it would be as busy at the day of the doctor
Well I'm impressed. Got to the theatre half an hour early, and it was allready pretty much packed. I'm guessing it's sold out.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passing_Through (View Post)
I mean, is the commentary on the Doctor's new face going to be significant in future episodes, or was the mention in this ep the last time we'll hear about it?

Time will tell.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

I finally saw it and it's different,but still interesting. The steampunk thing is kind of cool and I'm hoping that Peter will make the Doctor less human. Clara not being able to accept him as an old man was so sad.

My parents weren't thrilled about how he became a haggard old man,but I think Capaldi is handsome for a man his age. He's older,but distinguished. Did anyone else know who those villains were? Have they been on the show before?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
I finally saw it and it's different,but still interesting. The steampunk thing is kind of cool and I'm hoping that Peter will make the Doctor less human. Clara not being able to accept him as an old man was so sad.

My parents weren't thrilled about how he became a haggard old man,but I think Capaldi is handsome for a man his age. He's older,but distinguished. Did anyone else know who those villains were? Have they been on the show before?
In "The Girl in the Fireplace," the 10th Doctor met the robots from the sister ship they mentioned, Madame de Pompadour. Their ship had broken down and, after using up the crew, they made time windows to the past to find the correct brain to power their ship.
Kelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Clara not being able to accept him as an old man was so sad.
Watching it again, I feel like Vastra was being unfair to Clara about this ... every companion struggles to deal with a new Doctor after regeneration, even Rose did and her new Doctor was David Tennant! It didn't have to be about age, the new Doctor is different in more than just appearance, and it's natural that it would take some getting used to.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
In "The Girl in the Fireplace," the 10th Doctor met the robots from the sister ship they mentioned, Madame de Pompadour. Their ship had broken down and, after using up the crew, they made time windows to the past to find the correct brain to power their ship.
Oh, that's right! I mainly remember how funny his relationship was,since he made a bigger deal about it. I like that they're bringing in subtle things like this-It's more interesting to watch.

Quote:
Watching it again, I feel like Vastra was being unfair to Clara about this ... every companion struggles to deal with a new Doctor after regeneration, even Rose did and her new Doctor was David Tennant! It didn't have to be about age, the new Doctor is different in more than just appearance, and it's natural that it would take some getting used to.
I suppose that's true,but with the whole age thing and everyone seeming to care,it just seemed...shallow. I mean,it's not like Capaldi is the Hunchback of Notre Dame or something.

I have my theory on the woman at the end,too.

Spoiler:
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I suppose that's true,but with the whole age thing and everyone seeming to care,it just seemed...shallow. I mean,it's not like Capaldi is the Hunchback of Notre Dame or something.
That's what I mean .. I don't feel like Clara was being shallow ... I think her questions about why the Doctor looked older after regenerating were perfectly reasonable and the sorts of things anyone in that situation might have asked. It was Vastra who assumed that Clara was uncomfortable with the Doctor simply because he looked older.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The theory is they were related to the clock work robots from 'The Girl in the Fireplace' back in S2.

EDIT - should have refreshed my page before posting LOL
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 AM
New Fan

Quote:
That's what I mean .. I don't feel like Clara was being shallow ... I think her questions about why the Doctor looked older after regenerating were perfectly reasonable and the sorts of things anyone in that situation might have asked. It was Vastra who assumed that Clara was uncomfortable with the Doctor simply because he looked older.
Of course Clara gave her the business for that assumption, didn't she?

However, I now think Vastra was just trying to ruffle Clara's feathers. She was still trying to avoid the whole emotional aspect of the thing, and Vastra had to get her to snap out of it.
Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread