Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sursonica (View Post)
I still don't think it would be that way, but her not recognizing him in this episode could be done, since the Doctor said when the conversion starts, they mess up the person's memory (he had the conversation about this with Amy 4 times since she kept forgetting)
I don't think it would be hard, just saying it's something that would need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sursonica (View Post)
ETA: I thought the ending was foreshadowing about the question. The Dalek's forgetting him and saying Doctor Who? which is the way last season ended, and it is THE question.
I thought it was interesting that Oswin blanked the Dalek's memory of the Doctor. That was the theme started in S6, that the Doctor was becoming too well known and as much good as he did, his fame was making things worse. In this story, the idea is that the Daleks became as formidable as they were because they were fighting the Doctor - "You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies".

I wonder if we'll see more of this sort of thing. If the question is not so much who is the Doctor (i.e. what's his real name, who is he really), but more the quest to make everyone forget the Doctor.

It's also interesting that Moffat is now throwing out these different names for the Doctor. In the Christmas special, he was called "The Caretaker" for most of the ep. Now for this one, the Daleks called him "The Predator", which is a new one for the Daleks. Will he get a new name in every ep?
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I don't think it would be hard, just saying it's something that would need to be addressed.

I thought it was interesting that Oswin blanked the Dalek's memory of the Doctor. That was the theme started in S6, that the Doctor was becoming too well known and as much good as he did, his fame was making things worse. In this story, the idea is that the Daleks became as formidable as they were because they were fighting the Doctor - "You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies".

I wonder if we'll see more of this sort of thing. If the question is not so much who is the Doctor (i.e. what's his real name, who is he really), but more the quest to make everyone forget the Doctor.

It's also interesting that Moffat is now throwing out these different names for the Doctor. In the Christmas special, he was called "The Caretaker" for most of the ep. Now for this one, the Daleks called him "The Predator", which is a new one for the Daleks. Will he get a new name in every ep?
that's very interesting. To have it switched to the Doctor being forgotten instead of about his name.

As he is going back inside the Tardis, he pops back and says to the Daleks "fellas, you're never gonna stop asking", so it could go very well with your theory.

That the reason why the question should not be asked is because after everyone forgets him, for some reason, at some point, somewhere (Trenzalore?) someone is gonna ask and the Doctor is gonna do something so (terrible?) (awesome?) (timey-wimey?) that everyone is gonna be reminded of WHO he is in a spectacular way.
Sursonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

wow the episode was such an amazing way to start the season it was one of the best episodes I've seen in awhile.

I'm loving me some Oswin she was a nice surprise in the episode and I didn't expect to like her as much as I do. The only thing that confuses me is...when she was talking to the Doctor and Rory throughout the episode on intercoms or whatever it was she was talking through...wouldn't she have sounded like a Dalek to them?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Master Fan

Loved Asylum of the Dalek's! What a great episode to start the new season.

I'm with everyone, who said that they love Oswin already. I'm looking forward to see how they bring her back.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Master Fan

Hi! Very new to this fandom but considering I've cried my eyes out and wept on the floor like a child while marathoning seasons 5-6 and having just seen 7x01, I'd say I'm a true blue Whovian

I'm loyal already to Amy so I can't say I'm welcoming Oswin with open arms. Keeping an open mind though.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

Loved the episode too, but some plot holes exist as usual.

What is the logic behind leaving the force-field off switch in the one place where the lunatic Daleks reside?

One Dalek was prepared to self-destruct in order to fulfil the objective of killing the predator; yet none of the regular Daleks were prepared to go on a dangerous mission to turn off the force-field.

The Asylum Daleks were so slow to get going; any task force of regular Daleks would have made merciless mincemeat of them on the way to turning off the force-field and finishing the mission far more efficiently than the Doctor+Amy+Rory.

Obviously, Nano-cloud converted Daleks exist outside the Asylum. This is the ultimate Dalek weapon; just launch an attack with these on every planet and sit back while you win. They should be recyclable too.

Is the conversion, so far as it took place on Amy, reversed since she's out of the Asylum planet?

What about for the Doctor?

Oswin will be met earlier in her life. She said she fought the Daleks, and recognised their voices, as if she did this earlier in her life. I bet it was alongside the Doctor. She doesn't remember him because of the reprogramming. Even the woman at the beginning said she knew of her daughter, Hannah, because she "read her file" rather than plain 'remembered'.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Is the conversion, so far as it took place on Amy, reversed since she's out of the Asylum planet?
I don't think that was even addressed.... now I'm going to watch it again

BlondieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

I subscribed to DW S7 through iTunes, and last night it sent me a prequel to Asylum of the Daleks. I assumed it was Pond Life, but I just watched it and it's a completely different prequel, a rather spooky one with the Doctor and a mysterious hooded stranger. I didn't see anything about this prequel on the DW website, but it seems to be available on YouTube here:

Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Elite Fan

It was an BBC America/Itunes America exclusive type thing- I was just coming on to post it- I really like Matt in this- I enjoy Matt playing the Doctor slightly darker.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
It was an BBC America/Itunes America exclusive type thing- I was just coming on to post it- I really like Matt in this- I enjoy Matt playing the Doctor slightly darker.
It was also on iTunes Canada. I'm surprised though that nobody from DW mentioned it, it seems like it's hinting at something beyond just this episode.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 AM
New Fan

About Oswin & the Doctor's perception being altered:

She was too smart not to have been converted to a Dalek, unless she wasn't human. The way the Dalek's treated her isn't the way they have ever treated any human ever. Humans are trash who don't deserve to be on the level of the Daleks & Must be exterminated, this is how Daleks think of humans; no matter how smart they are they would never be fully converted. Only one other race can match the intelligence of the Daleks, the Timelords. Oswin wasn't human, she wasn't a Dalek, she was a Timelady. A combination of the "Nano-cloud" messing with his head & the grief of what he did to his own people in the Time War made him "Unable to see the truth, because the truth was too horrible"

Well if she is the same person who will eventually travel with the Doctor, then how is she in the 20th century? I think it's just like what has happened with some of Daleks (Daleks in Manhattan) & Cybermen (The Next Doctor) in past stories: Somehow the explosion sent her back in time & she was stranded on earth.

Introducing a Timelord companion for the 50th anniversary makes sense, especially if she doesn't know about her origins. This would give the writers an opportunity to give us more insight into what happened in the Time War & the legacy of being a Timelord.
FaceTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome episode! Aww Amy & Rory are so awesome together! Damn the Daleks are creepy as hell! I didn't expect that twist at the end!

The Doctor was amazing as always! Damn I love the Doctor & Amy's chemistry too!

Last edited by quin0611; 09-03-2012 at 09:41 AM
quin0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceTheFuture (View Post)
About Oswin & the Doctor's perception being altered:

She was too smart not to have been converted to a Dalek, unless she wasn't human. The way the Dalek's treated her isn't the way they have ever treated any human ever. Humans are trash who don't deserve to be on the level of the Daleks & Must be exterminated, this is how Daleks think of humans; no matter how smart they are they would never be fully converted. Only one other race can match the intelligence of the Daleks, the Timelords. Oswin wasn't human, she wasn't a Dalek, she was a Timelady. A combination of the "Nano-cloud" messing with his head & the grief of what he did to his own people in the Time War made him "Unable to see the truth, because the truth was too horrible"

Well if she is the same person who will eventually travel with the Doctor, then how is she in the 20th century? I think it's just like what has happened with some of Daleks (Daleks in Manhattan) & Cybermen (The Next Doctor) in past stories: Somehow the explosion sent her back in time & she was stranded on earth.

Introducing a Timelord companion for the 50th anniversary makes sense, especially if she doesn't know about her origins. This would give the writers an opportunity to give us more insight into what happened in the Time War & the legacy of being a Timelord.
No one has said she's from 20th Century...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
I stand my prediction, that when the Doctor gave Amy his Dalek-type bracelet, his perception changed and he thought he saw a Dalek when really it was Oswin. And then she teleported out of the Asylum and into the Dalek spaceship.
I think her mind may have been projected into the casing of the dalek from a dalek prison elsewhere. Her job was to keep the asylum online. She would be hooked up to some computer of sorts. Similar to the ganger idea.
Bowtiesarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the video! Been looking everywhere for that

Did anybody else notice that Oswin broke the fourth wall and looked straight at the camera in her last scene?

I wonder what that means... knowing Moffat, it means something.

And why do people keep calling Oswin 'Clara'?