Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Loyal Fan

I didn't like most of the episode, but I think the last few minutes totally made up for that. Next week's preview looks great. Just the Doctor and Clara on another crazy adventure.

I love Michelle Gomez as Missy. She made the episode for me, tbh.

icon

Nidz. Spencer/Toby | Bellamy/Clarke | Sara/Snart | Magnus/Alec
iamnotwalkingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 AM
Addicted Fan

I really like Missy. She is creepy, but I think she is funny. Must admit, I am surprised by how much dislike she's getting from some people.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Missy also, just not her homicidal side but it was a laugh seeing her use Clara to test how deep the hole was.
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
I like Missy also, just not her homicidal side but it was a laugh seeing her use Clara to test how deep the hole was.
I know or when she poked davros in the eye
Old 09-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
I know or when she poked davros in the eye
Or when she tickled the dalek bumps.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Again, this sums up my views quite succinctly. Had Missy been The Rani, I'd have had less problems with it because A) Both are Time ladies so it wouldn't be messing up the continuity and rules of the show and B) Because The Rani was more akin to the performance of Gomez. Until RTD had the Master prancing around to The Scissor Sisters, there was never this level of OTT, camp nonsense that we're getting with Missy. Sure, The Master was always a little bit OTT (I always dresssss for the occasion springs to mind!) but generally, he was a sinister gentleman. Especially Delgado who I completely dispute was ever camp or OTT. He just played it straight down the line, as a sinister gentleman. He was always so polite when he wasn't trying to kill someone. But it's the going against the shows traditions and the values of the character that annoys me. Until Simm, and now Gomez, there was nowhere near the level of sheer cringeworthy, forced humour. Gone is the dry wit, instead we've got canned laughed jokes about pointy sticks! Ugh. This is depressing me further... Danny Pink and Missy are possibly already worse than Adric and Turlough
The thing is though the Rani was never insane she was always indifferent. The only thing that mattered was her work.
The Master was always trying to get the Doctor to join him in his plots for taking over the Universe.
Oh and as for the Camp nature of Missy, well let's face it this is a new regeneration of the Master. There is no reason that the Master will be the same in personality every time, the Doctor's personality is never the same with each regeneration.
And each executive producer has always gone about placing there oun vision of what the show should be like. But In the end you can feel what you like about Missy.

I was having a great night with friends then I woke up in the morning to find that I had been Bagged and Tagged. And I though to myself at least I didn't get a Tattoo.
jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician (View Post)
Or when she tickled the dalek bumps.
Lol again i like her for her humour its nice

^ i like that some up
Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Lol again i like her for her humour its nice

^ i like that some up
None of the classic era Masters could have ever gotten away with that.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
with being crazy as she is?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And that was why the Master was one of the greatest villains in the history of British TV, unlike now... Where she is just unbelievably cringe-worthy and just a disgrace to the likes of Delgado, Ainley, Beevers and Jacobi. Same with John Simm to some extent, though he at least had a few really good Master like performances
Old 10-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Absolute Fan

Yes and with the unnecessary comic relief humor which can miminise the danger level the character is capable of.
In the old series, the Master was a force to be reckoned with.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I enjoyed this episode even more than the first one. If you didn't, then I respect your opinion, but I'm not changing mine.

I think it was obvious that Clara and Missy weren't going to be dead.

I really like Michelle Gomez as Missy, but I'd have loved her to have actually turned out to be the Rani.

I thought the glee she got out of Clara not being able to say her name and trying to trick the Doctor into killing her was plain nasty and what the Master / Mistress should be be doing.

I've also got to say that the Master could also be very campy and silly.

Like I say, I'm enjoying Series Nine so far and Peter is still my favourite Doctor.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yes and with the unnecessary comic relief humor which can miminise the danger level the character is capable of.
In the old series, the Master was a force to be reckoned with.
As usual you sum it up succinctly. The Master is and should always be a force to be reckoned with, not a comedy charcter having a good old laugh about a stick. That's just not the character. As Joe said, it's not true to the character. I don't mind an episode I don't like- unless your Breaking Bad, there's always going to be stories you don't like, and with 52 years nearly of stories, it's inevitable that you won't like every story. But I have a problem with writers trying to completely change a character and turn them into a completely different character. That's why I have such a strong problem with this story.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
As usual you sum it up succinctly. The Master is and should always be a force to be reckoned with, not a comedy charcter having a good old laugh about a stick. That's just not the character. As Joe said, it's not true to the character. I don't mind an episode I don't like- unless your Breaking Bad, there's always going to be stories you don't like, and with 52 years nearly of stories, it's inevitable that you won't like every story. But I have a problem with writers trying to completely change a character and turn them into a completely different character. That's why I have such a strong problem with this story.
All I do know is that this has nothing to do with gender anymore. A woman Master could use her feminity in more original ways than being comic relief just as well as her male counterparts
. As for past Masters being OTT, that is still a far cry from being played for laughs. I just dont find her sinsister like Delgado, Ainley or Jacobi.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
All I do know is that this has nothing to do with gender anymore. A woman Master could use her feminity in more original ways than being comic relief just as well as her male counterparts
. As for past Masters being OTT, that is still a far cry from being played for laughs. I just dont find her sinsister like Delgado, Ainley or Jacobi.
I agree with the latter, but I do think that gender still plays a key role, as it's the rule being broken that it represents. And I'd be just as upset and angry if Susan came back as Simon or Romana as Fred... Once you set a winning precident and set yourself perameterrs, you shouldn't go beyond them imo. A Time Lord has never before changed gender, and nor should they tbh. Certainly not by regeneration anyway. If the Master had taken control of a female time lord like he did with Tremas, then I'd be okay with the change, providing they don't ruin the character in the process, which they've done anyway!
Reply   Post New Thread