Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Some bits didn't make sense, but Peter Capaldi was great, and I thought the others were good too. I enjoyed this episode.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I did like how they explained them not dying, love how they seem to always drag out asker for seemingly impossible situations. I for one like the start to the series.
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 AM
Elite Fan

Big question is, will this "hybrid" prophecy be the main theme of the season? I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be River.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Pretty sure River isn't in the series but will be in the xMas special.
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Elite Fan

Well, ya never know. They kept Jenna being in the opening of Season 7 secret.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it really depends on whether you were a fan of the 60'ies-80'ies Who if you love or hate the direction of the revived show. I like a lot of episodes from the old show, but i've always felt detached from it somehow. The old show have never really been able to get me super excited

I would claim, no matter if you agree with me or not on this, that the old show contained quite a lot of cheese, inconsistencies, retconning and campyness as well, so it doesn't really bother me that much either when the new show devolves into that from time to time.

Join: Sophie Turner, Brittany Snow and Daisy Ridley

#HoldTheDoor, Hodor
King of Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

Finally saw the 2 episodes i did enjoy it some points

+ love the addition of Missy shes crazy and funny i think they need her now for the humour side
+ Peter amazing hus acting great his scenes with devros was great same with the actor that plays him
+ Clara great she didn't do a lot in this episode but she has learnt from hanging with the doctor

Some side notes

+ 2 episode thing i do get it but my only issue which is the issue i had before when i read it is it will drag it on whcih is sadly did .. that is my only issue with the classic series was that I t dragged it abit
Certain scenes of both these episode was dragged along all n the scenes with Doctor/Davros although they both acted well it dragged on to long andnit wasnt needed

+ Uniit/Kate wasnt in it long enough was there really a point in having them there
Old 09-27-2015, 09:34 AM
New Fan

First half good, second half bad.

I really liked The Magician's Apprentice but this...was pretty bad. I reviewed it n my blog if you enjoy in-depth anti-Moffat rants (don't we all?) but the general gist is that Missy was great fun and everything else was average to bad. I think some of the retconning they've done in recent years has messed with a lot of the character building from the earlier parts of New Who.

Link to blog: https://thethreepennyguignol.wordpre...impact-series/
lawliet94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

I completely agree that the acting from the doctor and devros was awesome.
However the thing with Missy and then John sim before her is that the script writers have pushed their characters for over-the-top laughs. I grant you the original series could be a little bit over the top or cheesy at times but arguably they were working within budget constraints, poor costumes/sets.

Unfortunately the current show is deliberately trying to be camp and over-the-top. There's a lot more emphasis on slapstick comedy than their used to be. The shows not only trying to hard to make me laugh it's putting the characters in stupid situations, and having them make stupid choices just for a cheap laugh. Why not get character and plot consistency right first and then the humor can follow.

For example wasn't the master/Missy involved in Danny pink's demise.Clara barely mentions it. Not a sore word is said and the way she is around Missy you would think they were two friends on a girls night out. Surely if someone's had a hand in your boyfriend's death, you would A be icy cold towards them and B perhaps even look for a little bit of revenge. For goodness sake not only did Clara have the power to exterminate Missy but Missy tried to have her killed right near the end. As far as justifications go I would say Clore was on pretty solid ground as far as exterminating her goes.
If you want slapstick comedy did we really need Missy in this episode? Surely there are other villains that are conceivably stupid enough to stand in the way of the firing line. Ha ha everyone laughs and no iconic characters are ruined.
What's next the dalek doing the cha-cha cha? It could work well as a cross promotion for strictly come dancing.

Oh and while were on the subject of killing a character for laughs. The oh so cutesy name Missy isn't even right. Surely the female version of Master is Mistress.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawliet94 (View Post)
I really liked The Magician's Apprentice but this...was pretty bad. I reviewed it n my blog if you enjoy in-depth anti-Moffat rants (don't we all?) but the general gist is that Missy was great fun and everything else was average to bad. I think some of the retconning they've done in recent years has messed with a lot of the character building from the earlier parts of New Who.

Link to blog: https://thethreepennyguignol.wordpre...impact-series/
Really? Do tell. I would love to know what retconning you believe has been done.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Extreme Fan

Well to start let me begin by saying I nailed it as to why Clara and Missy are still alive.

As for those of you who made comments about the lack of continuity in the show, Guess what there has never been continuity in Doctor Who. For example Atlantis has been destroyed 3 different times.

As for the comedy I enjoyed it but I can understand not everyone liked, let's face it everyone has different tastes.

I got a kick at the part where the doctor is in Davros's chair and he suddenly has a cup of tea.

Well I have to go listen to Radio Free Skaro before I finish cooking my food.

I was having a great night with friends then I woke up in the morning to find that I had been Bagged and Tagged. And I though to myself at least I didn't get a Tattoo.
jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Finally saw the 2 episodes i did enjoy it some points

+ love the addition of Missy shes crazy and funny i think they need her now for the humour side
+ Peter amazing hus acting great his scenes with devros was great same with the actor that plays him
+ Clara great she didn't do a lot in this episode but she has learnt from hanging with the doctor

Some side notes

+ 2 episode thing i do get it but my only issue which is the issue i had before when i read it is it will drag it on whcih is sadly did .. that is my only issue with the classic series was that I t dragged it abit
Certain scenes of both these episode was dragged along all n the scenes with Doctor/Davros although they both acted well it dragged on to long andnit wasnt needed

+ Uniit/Kate wasnt in it long enough was there really a point in having them there
This.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

Love everyones comments all very true
Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac (View Post)
I completely agree that the acting from the doctor and devros was awesome.
However the thing with Missy and then John sim before her is that the script writers have pushed their characters for over-the-top laughs. I grant you the original series could be a little bit over the top or cheesy at times but arguably they were working within budget constraints, poor costumes/sets.

Unfortunately the current show is deliberately trying to be camp and over-the-top. There's a lot more emphasis on slapstick comedy than their used to be. The shows not only trying to hard to make me laugh it's putting the characters in stupid situations, and having them make stupid choices just for a cheap laugh. Why not get character and plot consistency right first and then the humor can follow.

For example wasn't the master/Missy involved in Danny pink's demise.Clara barely mentions it. Not a sore word is said and the way she is around Missy you would think they were two friends on a girls night out. Surely if someone's had a hand in your boyfriend's death, you would A be icy cold towards them and B perhaps even look for a little bit of revenge. For goodness sake not only did Clara have the power to exterminate Missy but Missy tried to have her killed right near the end. As far as justifications go I would say Clore was on pretty solid ground as far as exterminating her goes.
If you want slapstick comedy did we really need Missy in this episode? Surely there are other villains that are conceivably stupid enough to stand in the way of the firing line. Ha ha everyone laughs and no iconic characters are ruined.
What's next the dalek doing the cha-cha cha? It could work well as a cross promotion for strictly come dancing.

Oh and while were on the subject of killing a character for laughs. The oh so cutesy name Missy isn't even right. Surely the female version of Master is Mistress.
Again, this sums up my views quite succinctly. Had Missy been The Rani, I'd have had less problems with it because A) Both are Time ladies so it wouldn't be messing up the continuity and rules of the show and B) Because The Rani was more akin to the performance of Gomez. Until RTD had the Master prancing around to The Scissor Sisters, there was never this level of OTT, camp nonsense that we're getting with Missy. Sure, The Master was always a little bit OTT (I always dresssss for the occasion springs to mind!) but generally, he was a sinister gentleman. Especially Delgado who I completely dispute was ever camp or OTT. He just played it straight down the line, as a sinister gentleman. He was always so polite when he wasn't trying to kill someone. But it's the going against the shows traditions and the values of the character that annoys me. Until Simm, and now Gomez, there was nowhere near the level of sheer cringeworthy, forced humour. Gone is the dry wit, instead we've got canned laughed jokes about pointy sticks! Ugh. This is depressing me further... Danny Pink and Missy are possibly already worse than Adric and Turlough
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

See i do agree i would of loved if sbe was Rani
Reply   Post New Thread