Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

5x10 - "Vincent and the Doctor" Episode Discussion

5x10 - Vincent and the Doctor

Quote:
The Doctor and Amy learn more about the art of terror in this new adventure where they meet Vincent Van Gogh!

The TARDIS travels back in time but terror lurks in the cornfields of Provence and only a sad and lonely painter can see it... The Doctor and Amy join forces with Van Gogh but can the three of them defeat a powerful and deadly alien?

18:40, Saturday 5 June, BBC One
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Elite Fan

I am so excited about this one (almost as much as next week's episode) I've been looking forward to this one ever since I heard that Richard Curtis wrote it
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope that I can get over the fact that they keep pronouncing van Gogh as 'van Goff' well, at least it's not as bad as the 'van Go' you usually hear. I know the correct pronunciation is almost impossible for anyone who isn't Dutch to get right, but still

That being said, VERY excited
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Elite Fan

I've always said "Van Goch" (German pronunciation) and I believe that is what people around here say Which is probably wrong, too Wasn't there a QI episode where they talked about this?
|it's about time
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep there was and Steven still said it a bit wrong but the German pronunciation is definitely a lot better still not 100% accurate, but close. I don't think anyone besides us Dutch can get our 'G' sound right
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Elite Fan

Oh well The Dutch are superior then
|it's about time
Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nahh, we just have a weird language that sounds like frogs are being slaughtered
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Elite Fan

At least you don't sound like you are angry all the time
|it's about time
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Extreme Fan

so flippin excited for this episode
cause I just LOVE Tony Curran (Van Gogh)

and having him, Amy & The Doctor work as a theme
best.ever!

oh and also an apperance by Bill Nighy
Golden!

MUSIC / TV SHOWS / MOVIES
dreamer extraordinaire. happy wife.
Mimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Elite Fan

IT'S AMAZING AND I'M CRYING!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Interesting.

Couple of notes Amy is now not the marrying kind, which is sad. The Doctor also said Rory at one point, making it sadder but as I said last week he knows. Now as for the 'time crack', could the creature be scared of it? Last I guess talking Van Gogh to the future was just to resort the time line or else he may not have completed his work, it was risky but paid off.

But where do this leave us? It was a nice almost stand alone ep I just wish with one 3 eps to go, including the double final I thought we would have been further along to find out what happens. I wonder next weeks if the thing int he room is the 'time crack' taking people?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Elite Fan

This was the best episode this series so far for me. And I am fully agreeing with James Moran here (via Twitter) - the most gorgeous one, as well
It actually reminded me of why I fell in love with this show in the first place - those bits of epicness and just watching in awwww - I missed them.

I just loved that it was focusing more on the characters than the story. The Doctor was really great, and Vincent stole my heart from the first scene in that cafe! Aaaaand, might I add, I even loved Amy in this one.

All those funny bits were hilarious (and no doubt, done by Mr Curtis). And two scenes stood out for me - the first when they looked up at the sky and it turned into one of his paintings. True magic. And the second one when they went to the future

Very interesting bits about Rory. When the Doctor called his name out, or when Vincent told Amy she was crying

I can just repeat myself here - but this episode was amazing and I am sure I will watch it again and again.
|it's about time
Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved this episode SO much. It was such a beautiful story, I loved that it was not really about chasing aliens at all, but more about Vincent van Gogh himself and just about human (or Timelord/human ) relationships and yes, very character based. These are generally the storylines I enjoy a lot more than the ones where there's lots going on plot-wise. Not to say this lacked plot, not a ALL, but, you know what I mean. It's so very nice to have a character-driven episode once in a while

I loved that it was themed around Vincent van Gogh as I've always been interested in his work (being Dutch you kind of have to be I guess since he's everywhere), so I loved seeing that 'come to life'. The bit at the end where they took him to see his paintings in the museum actually teared me up

The bits about Rory gave me goosebumps. He just HAS to come back somehow

I also enjoyed the humour in this episode, I loved the bow-tie flirting between the Doctor and Bill Nighy's character (Bill Nighy FTW by the way! Loved seeing him in this episode) and Amy's fangirling and Vincent's "Sorry I didn't shave" after he kissed him on the cheeks made me smile so hard but also made me sad somehow.

All in all, yeah, loved this.

I have to be in Amsterdam tomorrow anyway so I'm now seriously considering going there a bit earlier than I have to be so I can swing by the Van Gogh museum. I've been there loads of times but not in quite a while, and I'm sure I'll look at his works with new eyes after this episode, too.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Elite Fan

Look out for the monsters in the paintings
|it's about time
Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Extreme Fan

wow! such an amazing episode
I really liked that it centered around Van Gogh aswell

and the invisible monster was rly cool
hahah the way The Doctor kept getting punched/thrown by it made me laugh
poor Doctor....haha and the way Amy kept scaring him all the time

also loved all the epic moments between Amy & The Doctor ofcourse
damn they are so flippin perfect together!!!!

♥♥♥♥

MUSIC / TV SHOWS / MOVIES
dreamer extraordinaire. happy wife.
Mimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread